Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

5 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Big difference between Mayo and Kjerstad and Norby and Ortiz or Westburg.  

4 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I could part with Norby and Cowser for him. 

If the White Sox give up a more-or-less homegrown guy who they think is a Cy Young caliber player under contract for the next three seasons, they don't want whichever scraps we decide to give them. They want the same guys who we do. They're under no obligation to trade Cease.

So say Kjerstad + Ortiz + Povich is their price. Or Mayo + Hall. Guys who it hurts to lose.

Can you fault Elias for saying no thanks to these requests? These are pieces who will have the same value this winter as they do now, and once they're gone that's it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I'm not sure what your Verlander hypothetical has to do with our discussion on the merits of rentals, but I predict that you will be unsatisfied regardless of what moves are made (Obviously Holliday isn't getting dealt).

Everyone wants a significant improvement that is under team control, but also thinks our top 6-7 guys are untouchable... Good luck

Why will I be unsatisfied? I’m on the Elias train, if he gets someone we can have an opinion on the deal. If he doesn’t I’ll trust that it didn’t make sense to jeopardize the talent base and future.

I have to think we add some pieces. I expect one of Westburg, Mateo, Urias, Norby, or Ortiz to be gone. I think they’d get a better CF replacement if possible for the rest of the season. Cowser is a liability right now at the plate and pretty rough in CF. And we need to lighten the load on the rotation and back end of the pen if we expect to go deep into the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Personally, I'm not giving up a Godfather package for Cease.  He's not The Man for that.

Agreed. The White Sox want a trade package for the pitcher Cease was last year and not what his actual value is as a whole.  At least with Elias I don’t see him doing anything desperate and offering a godfather package to acquire Cease. 

2 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

If the White Sox give up a more-or-less homegrown guy who they think is a Cy Young caliber player under contract for the next three seasons, they don't want whichever scraps we decide to give them. They want the same guys who we do. They're under no obligation to trade Cease.

So say Kjerstad + Ortiz + Povich is their price. Or Mayo + Hall. Guys who it hurts to lose.

Can you fault Elias for saying no thanks to these requests? These are pieces who will have the same value this winter as they do now, and once they're gone that's it.

I will trust Elias on this.  Cease has an over 4.00 ERA and his FIP is 3.63.  It isn't clear to me if he is a #1, #2, or a #3.  I trust that Elias knows and will pay the appropriate price.  

• Upvote 1