Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

3 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I think Tim Anderson has a reputation of pouting a lot.  Not sure we want him in the clubhouse.  And what could he do for us that our propects cant already do?  He would have to go to second.  How would he like that?  And Ortiz probably is filling that spot next year.   Him or Westburg or Norby.  

Just now, Gurgi said:

I think Tim Anderson has a reputation of pouting a lot.  Not sure we want him in the clubhouse.  And what could he do for us that our propects cant already do?  He would have to go to second.  How would he like that?  And Ortiz probably is filling that spot next year.   Him or Westburg or Norby.  

I think Cease would be the O's target here.  Although I don't think he is worth what the White Sox are probably asking for him.

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

I think Cease would be the O's target here.  Although I don't think he is worth what the White Sox are probably asking for him.

I kind of wonder if the White Sox will insist on including Anderson in a trade for Cease?  I get the feeling they'd like to wipe their hands of him 😆

Just now, Morgan423 said:

I kind of wonder if the White Sox will insist on including Anderson in a trade for Cease?  I get the feeling they'd like to wipe their hands of him 😆

Thats kind of the idea I get also.  Maybe his inclusion would reduce the value of the prospects sent to Chicago?  Isnt he on a long term contract that isnt proving its value?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ChuckS said:

How many ball players/professional athletes actually live in the city that they play in?

Highly unlikely they move into a high rise at the Harbor or buy a row home in Federal Hill. 

They will be living in a gated community in one of the surrounding Counties, like others.  I don't think the condition of Baltimore City figures in.  I live in Washington, DC (which is a more desirable city to live in by comparison) and most of the professional athletes here live out in Loudoun County, more than 30 miles away.  

Bottom line, athletes aren't going to be living in the inner city.  Verlander spent years playing for Detroit.  This is a non-factor IMO.  He may not want to go to the O's for other reasons. 

Granted. In this instance I doubt it makes much difference to Verlander. His wife, super model Kate Upton, may want to be in a media hotbed like NY or LA, not a horse farm  in Monkton .  It may not matter because she may already spend her time wherever she wants or needs to be regardless of where he is.  Was just saying if it a factor for either of them, it would be more likely to be for her.

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I would bet they're asking for the price of an ace because of his ceiling/age/team control. Only problem is it's not at all clear he's an ace.

This is the best example of best trade is one you don't make. If you're going to spend your finite capital like this, it needs to pay off.

Some people seem to think any move is better than no move, but I would rather spend the same capital it would cost to do this on a better return even if that's later/next year. It's a zero-sum game.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Thats kind of the idea I get also.  Maybe his inclusion would reduce the value of the prospects sent to Chicago?  Isnt he on a long term contract that isnt proving its value?

Hard pass on Anderson.  Even if it lowers the prospect cost, we're not bringing in a cancer and limiting the little bit of payroll flexibility we have.