Can someone tell me what Cowser needs to do better?

kidrock

14 hours ago, LA2 said:

I hope that Hicks is back soon (I'm assuming Cedric is away longer). Wd have loved to have seen him wreak more vengeance on the Y's this weekend....

Elias said Mullins should be back in the lineup for the better part of August (hoping that means in about a week)

• Upvote 1

This may be a blessing in disguise if with Mullins and Hicks out it forces ABs for Cowser. Hopefully allows him to see more pitches and get more comfortable. There are a few comps to Gunnar’s start in the fact of the patience (passiveness) of his ABs, although I know the numbers are much worse.

Or he may be a complete trainwreck and never work out…I choose to not believe that.

I don't have any answers here, but I do recall many several posts where Westburg and Cowser were going to be the answer to our offensive woes if we would just call them up and give them a chance.

I think the kids will be alright in the end, but we really need to stop pretending that calling up guys who are raking at AAA will add immediate impact at the major league level.  I said this many months ago, and will say it again....Brett Phillips could not sniff a hit at the major league level last year, and when we was sent down to Norfolk, he crushed it down there - I witnessed it personally - the guy was like a superhero down here.  I'm not advocating for Brett Phillips, I'm just saying that the excitement over AAA stats translating to immediately help the Orioles is overdone at times, and unrealistic.

That all being said, I'm still in agreement with many that we have very little to lose if we let Mateo go and bring up Joey Ortiz to get his reps.

Once the kids all get going (which might not be this year), this will be a VERY exciting team to watch.  I suspect they're all getting their taste this year, and will know what they need to work on to succeed next year.....and will be even hungrier to stay in the SHOW.  If they all come around this year, then look out.....

Stepping down off my soapbox now.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Well, not all of them......as in, like half of our bullpen.  Just sayin'.......

And yet we've had the 2nd and third best record in all of MLB for most of the year.   

Yes, success at AAA doesn't always translate to the same success at the Major League level.  But our whole system of player development is based on learning and developing at each level before moving up.  

Here's an interesting article on using minor league success to predict major league success.   https://rpubs.com/alexdasilva/PredictMLBwOBA

47 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

I don't have any answers here, but I do recall many several posts where Westburg and Cowser were going to be the answer to our offensive woes if we would just call them up and give them a chance.

I think the kids will be alright in the end, but we really need to stop pretending that calling up guys who are raking at AAA will add immediate impact at the major league level.  I said this many months ago, and will say it again....Brett Phillips could not sniff a hit at the major league level last year, and when we was sent down to Norfolk, he crushed it down there - I witnessed it personally - the guy was like a superhero down here.  I'm not advocating for Brett Phillips, I'm just saying that the excitement over AAA stats translating to immediately help the Orioles is overdone at times, and unrealistic.

That all being said, I'm still in agreement with many that we have very little to lose if we let Mateo go and bring up Joey Ortiz to get his reps.

Once the kids all get going (which might not be this year), this will be a VERY exciting team to watch.  I suspect they're all getting their taste this year, and will know what they need to work on to succeed next year.....and will be even hungrier to stay in the SHOW.  If they all come around this year, then look out.....

Stepping down off my soapbox now.

Westburg has a higher fWAR in a fraction of the time.

One thing that people said is these guys should improve on the defense even if it takes time for them to hit.

Westburg has done that. Cowser has not but that’s partially because they are playing him in CF and he’s just not a CFer.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Westburg has a higher fWAR in a fraction of the time.

One thing that people said is these guys should improve on the defense even if it takes time for them to hit.

Westburg has done that. Cowser has not but that’s partially because they are playing him in CF and he’s just not a CFer.

Santander's better in RF and Hays is better in LF than Cowser.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Santander's better in RF and Hays is better in LF than Cowser.

Santander has made some nice plays, but I haven't seen any reports on Cowser's defense that would indicate he's not a clear upgrade in right defensively.

13 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Santander has made some nice plays, but I haven't seen any reports on Cowser's defense that would indicate he's not a clear upgrade in right defensively.

He doesn't appear to have the arm for RF. I know he's not supplanting Hays, but LF is probably where he winds up.

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Disagree about Santander as soon as Cowser gets more accustomed to things.

How long does it take to get accustomed to fielding in the big leagues? There were 3 plays last night that were very awkward and should have been routine. The first put-out was a routine fly ball to center and he threw his hands up like he couldn't find the ball, then settled under it. He misplayed another routine ball that resulted in him having to break back and do some sort of jump about 30 feet from the warning track, then as was pointed out, he just let the Judge ball drop in.

He's had 64 innings in CF, how many does it usually take to get accustomed to the view from a MLB park? He has 137 innings in the OF, if he hasn't figured out the 2nd deck yet, will he ever?

Edited by Malike

37 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

How about your eyes?

Cowser has looked awful in the field since he's been up.

Santander, despite the naysayers, has been perfectly adequate and to my eye, above average in right.

• Upvote 1