Various Thoughts

Greg Pappas

• Go O's! It's been a great season and we need outside help to finish strong.  Like most, I prefer controllable trade targets.
  • Acquiring a set-up man/closer type is important.  Cano's sinker is not sinking.  We need to drop him down into the 6th/7th innings, as he seems to have lost the feel for his dominant pitch. 
  • Cowser looks uncomfortable to me, both at bat and in the field.  Sending him down might be what's best, but our outfield depth is already thin with the injuries to Mullins and Hicks.  Cowser's future remains bright.
  • Kjerstad, Mayo, and Norby all have defensive question marks, with Kjerstad the most likely to be a DH.  Will Kjerstad get the call soon?  Tough to say, but his bat is enticing.
  • Adding a veteran starter may be prudent, for a number of reasons, including helping to alleviate the 'number of innings' issue that some of our starters may face.
  • I t's my hope that we can deal Mountcastle by the deadline.  
  • Our staff, both in the minors and majors, have been excellent in developing the talent we have.  Kudos all around. 
  • Elias has earned a nice extension
Edited by Greg Pappas
No need to discuss Ortiz/Mateo :P
  • Upvote 1

"Elias has earned a nice extension."

This reminds me, I have been meaning to comment regarding Elias.  Does anyone else get a good feeling about Elias' intention to stay here in the long term?  I figure had he a desire to leave sooner rather than later, he'd have "sold the farm" to go for it all TODAY rather than maintain his eye on the future.

I'm comforted by his approach, and feel good about our ability to retain his excellent services for a good period of time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

This reminds me, I have been meaning to comment regarding Elias.  Does anyone else get a good feeling about Elias' intention to stay here in the long term?  I figure had he a desire to leave sooner rather than later, he'd have "sold the farm" to go for it all TODAY rather than maintain his eye on the future.

I'm comforted by his approach, and feel good about our ability to retain his excellent services for a good period of time.

Unfortunately I think he may well be poached. 

2 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

It’s pretty clear he has carte blanche.  If there is an issue with payroll maybe he would go but he isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. He knows this is a legacy type team he is building.  Why let someone else win with his team?

• Upvote 1

Ya know, I could kind of picture a battle of wills in which Angelos has already locked up Elias long term and wouldn't mind having a presser about it, but Elias is advising him to keep it quiet.

Just have to accept we don't/won't know.    I agree with @baltfan if I'm him and Arte Moreno or Peter Seidler wants to pay me double or something, its a lot of your own handiwork to step away from.