I loved Gibson’s remarks on the trade deadline last night

Frobby

I've really enjoyed listening to him talk during interviews. He always seems very comfortable and affable and willing to chat pitching beyond just the boilerplate athlete-speak, which is always refreshing. I remember when he shouted out Wells for stepping up out of the bullpen that one game. Just a good team dude. 

It was an unexciting signing at the time, but I think he's proven to be well worth the contract. 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, interloper said:

I've really enjoyed listening to him talk during interviews. He always seems very comfortable and affable and willing to chat pitching beyond just the boilerplate athlete-speak, which is always refreshing. I remember when he shouted out Wells for stepping up out of the bullpen that one game. Just a good team dude. 

It was an unexciting signing at the time, but I think he's proven to be well worth the contract. 

Yes, I'm very pleased with the Gibson acquisition. He's 10x better than Jordan Lyles ever was.

Just now, rm5678 said:

Yes, I'm very pleased with the Gibson acquisition. He's 10x better than Jordan Lyles ever was.

I don’t know if he’s ten times better, but he’s appreciably better.  Lyles had an 88 ERA+ and averaged 5.59 IP/start for us; Gibson has a 92 ERA+ and has averaged 5.78 IP/start.  A solid upgrade.  

Lyles was a workhorse who could eat up innings and that was definitely a need for the Orioles last year. Gibson fills the same need but offers more quality overall. I wouldn't be surprised if Gibson has a strong second half. He doesn't have the highest ceiling, but he's right at the 2.5-3.0 fWAR that he falls into more often than not.

It would be interesting what his trade value would have been if the O's were sellers at the deadline.