Jack Flaherty acquired for Cesar Prieto, Drew Rom, and Zach Showalter

ChuckS

2 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Not remotely impressed.  Flaherty is nothing but a back end of the rotation starter.  Guy has a 1.550 WHIP.  There's a real possibility he's our worst starter.

Also a real possibility he’s our third best. I can’t say he’s any worse than Gibson.  Kremer has been inconsistent. I put Flaherty in the same category as those two. 

Happy with how the front office handled this. Starting pitcher was a need. Not a good starting pitcher, literally just any starting pitcher. And they filled it with a guy who has always had arm talent. He's also 13 years younger than the Mets geezers and pitching for his first big contract, so you can dream that Flaherty realizes his potential for one run in October.

I'm a big fan of Prieto. And I admit that the thought of parting with many of these homegrown guys pains me. But Cesar had no path to playing time in Baltimore. Several already unlikely things would have to had happened to other guys for him to be a valuable player for the O's, and even then his value is limited to the (special) hit tool.

Everyone wins here: the O's fill a need without giving up anything of value, the Cardinals recoup value in a lost season, and Prieto gets a chance.

We signed Prieto as an international free agent for significantly below market value. He was the Ted Williams of the (diminished) Cuban league and one of those guys who was going to get seven figures, but apparently there were some hiccups with his defection such that we got him for significantly below market rate. As time went on, he kept hitting, but it became clear that he was completely boxed out by the other prospects. So we basically turned the $600k it cost to sign him into a former first-round starting pitcher for the stretch run. These are the sorts of moves that will keep us relevant over the long term.

As to Rom and Showalter, they're fliers. We have a fair few number of those arms in our system. Sometimes that's what it takes if you don't want to walk away empty handed.

If you want to criticize the front office for not making other moves, then fine. But this transaction in a vacuum was the best of all worlds.

• Upvote 1

Take out his three worst starts – 10 runs against the Angels on May 4; six runs against the Giants on June 13; six runs against the Nats on June 19 – and Flaherty’s season numbers would be much more impressive.

Whereas he had ERAs of 5.88 and 5.32 in May and June, respectively, Flaherty pitched significantly better in July, when he went 3-1 with a 3.03 ERA.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Also a real possibility he’s our third best. I can’t say he’s any worse than Gibson.  Kremer has been inconsistent. I put Flaherty in the same category as those two. 

And there is a real possibility that he's our worst.  Which I could live with if Elias had gotten some help in the pen.  Now we have to hope a guy like Hall can come up and help the pen.