Grade our two deadline moves

Frobby

Grade our two deadline moves  

181 members have voted

1. 1. How do you grade our two deadline moves?

• A to A-
    • B or B+
    • B- or C+
    • C or C-
    • D- to D+
    • F

At first blush, I gave it a B-/C+. I think that is the floor. The only prospect we might miss, at all, is Showalter. HS pitchers are long shots, and he’s three years away. We’ll see how those two acquisitions perform as O’s. They have legit tools though.

Still can't help but believe teams were asking too much from us. When you have the deepest farm, requests get deep. Another teams 10th best prospect is "better" than our 17th (just throwing random numbers out there, trade pages are too heavy with commentary to keep up) in perception. But, our 10th is better than their 3rd so eff off with that request. Yeah, we're deep but that doesn't mean we're not going to value them and just give em up. Catch 22

• Upvote 1

C. The moves are solid on their merits in that we didn't give up much of anything. They should help ensure we make the playoffs but don't really move the needle for a deep run.

I like Fuji but he is a work in progress. 

Flaherty is a solid backend guy with some upside but just an incremental improvement, not someone you'd want starting in a playoff series. He is coming off his best month (3.03 ERA) so maybe we catch lightning in a bottle.

I like both trades and do not begrudge missing out on a top end starter. We don’t know what demands the Sox or Tigers were making.

The going rate for relievers was absolutely doable and I think that is the only glaring error of this deadline.  Fuji is a good idea but we needed a steadier guy to replace Perez.

I gave them an A because I had every expectation that they would sit on their hands and not acquire anyone to add to the rotation. Frankly I’m shocked that they added Jack Flaherty but pleasantly surprised.

Flaherty is a guy that I’ve mentioned as a target a few times in other threads. My neighbor is a Cards fan so I may be somewhat more familiar with Flaherty than others. While it’s not a super sexy move, if he’s healthy he offers legitimate TOR potential. Coming into the year we thought only GrayRod could provide that.

On the surface JF seems most likely to be somewhere in the Kremer (less K’s) to Gibson tier in terms of raw numbers but he’s going to surrender way less homeruns than everyone else in the current rotation. Pitching what will most likely be more than half of his games at OPACY and with a better defense behind him I expect his numbers to be closer to what he did in July.

If he can pitch to that sub 4.00ish ERA and eat the innings like he was acquired to do, I think he’s going to be worth every bit of the prospects that they sent to St. Louis. They desperately needed an arm for the rotation. This allows them to move TWells to the Pen if they choose to do so. They could do A LOT worse than Braddish, Flaherty, GrayRod, Kremer, Gibson and TWells, with the potential of Meansy at some point. 

B+

JF is a solid addition who looks to be rounding into form. They needed an SP and he might be a steal. If he gives them consistent innings he's a plus. Worse case they gave up almost nothing for him.

SF is also a solid addition for the bullpen. If he can take a considerable load off Cano and be effective in some higher leverage innings he's a steal. If he just gives them consistent innings he's a plus. There is almost no downside as he was acquired for spare parts. 

An added bonus would be if Wells can be effective in the bullpen.