Return of Buck

Birds08

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Because of the logical fallacy that you can't deflect blame unless there's someone to actually deflect the blame to.  As it stands right now, it was still Buck's decision to not put Britton in and Ubaldo instead.  Not bench coach John Russell, not Rick Adair, not Dom Chiti, not anyone else.

The decision to not put in Britton still rests squarely on Buck's shoulders.

You don't agree with that, and that's fine.  So, agree to disagree.  

Huh?  That’s exactly what I agree with.

His comments lead you to believe that he feels he’s not the only one to blame.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Huh?  That’s exactly what I agree with.

His comments lead you to believe that he feels he’s not the only one to blame.

...right.  And yet, all we know is to still blame Buck.  And keep blaming him because he's not telling the whole story.  

His comments would lead you to believe that he's not telling the whole story.  And so...that's it, it's over.

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

...right.  And yet, all we know is to still blame Buck.  And keep blaming him because he's not telling the whole story.  

His comments would lead you to believe that he's not telling the whole story.  And so...that's it, it's over.

Seems like Buck is the one who thinks Buck isn’t the only one to blame.  Even if that’s true, he shouldn’t say it, especially as he reminds everyone that the managers job is to wear it. 

It’s passive aggressive.  It’s not needed. He was wrong, leave it at that and move on. No reason to bring ambiguity into it

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't have a huge issue with what he said though it continues to show that Buck refuses to take responsibility for that terrible managerial call. I just can't figure out who he could possibly be protecting? 

By the way, good leaders that "wear it" for someone else typically don't go around telling people that they are "wearing it".

I love Buck, but I have to agree. As someone else just mentioned, it's a bit passive aggressive and was unnecessary.

Then again, he's probably been asked about it 500 times....so I'll write it off as a slip. Nobody's perfect. 

Regardless, I still love me some Buck Showalter and sincerely miss his post game interviews.

Edited by CP0861

Not a big fan, overrated IMO. I believe (could be way off here) that he was influential in the Davis extension (maybe not the amount, but the desire to have him). I never found him terribly creative in his game approach. Dedicated to his vets..Davis, Jones, Manny (who wouldn't be). And sometimes overfocused on the minutia of the game like, time to the plate, which I believe (again maybe wrong) caused problems with Arrieta.

I don't measure my opinion of Buck off one decision even if it drove me crazy at then time. It's over. My opinion was really high at the beginning then ebbed as time went on. He was a savior at first and then glad he wasn't rehired at the end. That's probably been Buck's Mo with multiple teams. His sheck wears out. I still like him as a baseball person. He is a good listen. He made us relevant again for a while. I hope he gets a great ovation and welcome back. That will be the classy thing to do. And, we are Class, unlike some fan bases I know. And, I also hope we sweep him out of town!

Look at the Orioles' record over the past quarter century (1998-2022).  In those 25 years, we were .500 or better 6 times.  5 of those 6 years were in Buck's 8 years here.  The other 17 teams (pre and post-Buck) were a combined 380 games below .500.  We've had 3 playoff teams in those 25 years.  Buck was at the helm for all of them.

If we want to ignore all of that and just look at the 2016 playoff game, I guess we can.  It's certainly fair to judge the state of the team when he left, though it's probably fair to look at the fact that he took over a team that hadn't broken the 70 win mark the five years before he got here.  It's not like he took over a stable program.

He was a huge boost to this franchise and helmed the best run we've had since the Bill Clinton administration.  I'll always be thankful for him and this it's disappointing how he's often remembered.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Gofannon said:

Look at the Orioles' record over the past quarter century (1998-2022).  In those 25 years, we were .500 or better 6 times.  5 of those 6 years were in Buck's 8 years here.  The other 17 teams (pre and post-Buck) were a combined 380 games below .500.  We've had 3 playoff teams in those 25 years.  Buck was at the helm for all of them.

If we want to ignore all of that and just look at the 2016 playoff game, I guess we can.  It's certainly fair to judge the state of the team when he left, though it's probably fair to look at the fact that he took over a team that hadn't broken the 70 win mark the five years before he got here.  It's not like he took over a stable program.

He was a huge boost to this franchise and helmed the best run we've had since the Bill Clinton administration.  I'll always be thankful for him and this it's disappointing how he's often remembered.

669- 684

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Buck was a manager and the culture change he brought was great. He will get a huge ovation tonight and this weekend and he deserves it.

That said, he benefits from how bad the Os were before him and that added to his Orioles lore and DD doesn’t get enough credit for moves he made.(and he deserves blame for others as well)

Ultimately, it’s mixed for me. 2012-2016 was great but Buck had too much power, had PA’s ear too much (none of which is Bucks fault) and he was a big reason the organization was in shambles for so long after he left.

The DD/Toronto stuff really changed things imo.

Agree there was good and bad with Buck. Angelos liked him which was huge a deal compared to how things were run before Buck. But in the end he was a manager, and they are always in win-now mode, to the detriment of the team sometimes.

53 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Buck seems like an okay guy but is very guarded with "baseball speak"  when he is on camera.

I would love to get a 12 pack into him and hear what he really thinks about stuff.  It would probably be amazing. 

That's the way I feel about Brandon Hyde. I like him as a Manager, but his nervous stuttering press conferences have me twitching. He's just too afraid to say the wrong thing and he's afraid of offending someone. I'd love to get some beers in Hyder and see him loosened up and know what he really thinks.

1 hour ago, CP0861 said:

Regardless, I still love me some Buck Showalter and sincerely miss his post game interviews.

Buck was one of the best post game interviews this team has ever had. When Fredi Gonzalez got to manage 1 game during Hyde's daughter's college graduation, Fredi's post game interview kind of reminded me of Buck's. He was very fluid and comfortable with the media. He communicated his thoughts well and didn't worry so much about it.