Orioles biggest problem

wildcard

10 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I could see a team like the Cubs, who are a bigger spending team with a traditionally more patient fanbase maybe being interested in someone like Elias.

As far as some of the other bigger spending teams, I don't see what would be attractive to them regarding Elias' resume. Being able to totally deconstruct and then reconstruct an org from top to bottom.

New York (Mets and Yanks) are not going to be drawn to that, because they don't have fanbases/markets where what Elias has done will be palpable to their fanbase. Boston no. Pretty much same thing applies. Atlanta is good, so no interest there. San Diego is in win now mode. So again, no interest there based on anything Elias has one. That would be a no for Texas as well. No for Philly too. Maybe Anaheim if they cannot resign Ohtani?

Cohen is on record as saying he wants to build a championship team based on a top farm system.  That's why he was ok with shipping top players out.  He used $70 million of his money to buy 2 top 100 prospects.  If Elias was not signed to a contract, do you think Cohen would even blink at offering him a 10 year/ $100 million contract?

4 minutes ago, waroriole said:

At least Dan Snyder created his wealth. John just took what daddy gave him. 

Snyder earned his money the old-fashioned way - by hoodwinking people!  As bad as Angelos is, he’s not in Snyder’s league as a terrible owner.  When Angelos starts cheating fans out if their season ticket deposits, we can talk.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Snyder earned his money the old-fashioned way - by hoodwinking people!  As bad as Angelos is, he’s not in Snyder’s league as a terrible owner.  When Angelos starts cheating fans out if their season ticket deposits, we can talk.  

Hahaha. There’s at least a certain hustle involved with Snyder’s money. I doubt John has anything close to that capability. That said, I know little about Snyder’s ownership in Washington. 

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Hahaha. There’s at least a certain hustle involved with Snyder’s money. I doubt John has anything close to that capability. That said, I know little about Snyder’s ownership in Washington. 

Angelos family has done a lot but they never attempted trafficking in persons, so that’s a leg up on Snyder.

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Cohen is on record as saying he wants to build a championship team based on a top farm system.  That's why he was ok with shipping top players out.  He used $70 million of his money to buy 2 top 100 prospects.  If Elias was not signed to a contract, do you think Cohen would even blink at offering him a 10 year/ $100 million contract?

I don’t think that would be the top priority for Cohen. That won’t work in a market/media like New York, especially with the cross town rivalry with the Yanks.

That works in a market like this one where the remaining fanbase has lowered their expectations almost as low as can be, where just having a winning season seems to be acceptable to most/many. In NY it’s all about championships and chasing them. 

I’m not how familiar you are with that market, but it’s utterly laughable to think that some of the things that have flow here would even be a thought to try in NY. 

It’s one thing to be the Dodgers where you have the best of both worlds - the top farm system and one of the best teams. But that is a unique situation and Elias hasn’t shown that he can get to that point without a total tear down. 

If you think that my point is off base, jump on some NY cable sports stations, or listen to a few Yanks or Mets podcast or New York based radio like Michael Kay’s show.

A rich team does not need to choose between developing a great farm system and spending money to keep the team competitive while waiting for the young players to arrive.   And even if they do cut payroll, the process takes less time.  See the Cubs after Theo took over.  

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

So, this is definitely an issue but good organizations can withstand major losses if they are structured properly and promote from within.

The issue with that isn’t Elias leaving…it’s Angelos staying. 

The biggest issue for this organization is and always be ownership until that family sells.

There are alot of strikes going against the current ownership that would give Major League Baseball plenty of grounds to stand on with forcing a sale. The entire thin skinned petty censorship was just another tip of the iceburg in what has already been a long brewing issue.

The biggest issue is that the official and legal owner of the Baltimore Orioles is not the current acting "CEO"... It's Peter Agnelos. And the current owner (Peter Angelos) is not currently of good health or frame of mind that allows him to make the decisions that must be made.

With the incapacitation of the official legal owner of the franchise, MLB should have every right to protect their brand and force a sale of the franchise.

The biggest problem this team has is that they're currently in 1st place and yet many complain as if they are on a path to 100 loses. Perhaps the biggest problem is the Angelos might pull an Irsay (or a Modell) and leave this "tiny" city to a more glamorous location with growth potential. The Nats would be happy. Quit crabbing like little babies and enjoy the product.

5 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

There are alot of strikes going against the current ownership that would give Major League Baseball plenty of grounds to stand on with forcing a sale. The entire thin skinned petty censorship was just another tip of the iceburg in what has already been a long brewing issue.

The biggest issue is that the official and legal owner of the Baltimore Orioles is not the current acting "CEO"... It's Peter Agnelos. And the current owner (Peter Angelos) is not currently of good health or frame of mind that allows him to make the decisions that must be made.

With the incapacitation of the official legal owner of the franchise, MLB should have every right to protect their brand and force a sale of the franchise.

Georgia is the legal owner and has stated so in court.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Georgia is the legal owner and has stated so in court.

She is not the legal owner.  

First, as most everyone knows, there is no one owner of the Orioles.  They are a limited liability company and they have multiple owners.   

Peter Angelos is the majority owner of the Orioles.  He is legally incompetent.  His wife has power of attorney to act on his behalf.  She is not the owner.  She acts for the owner.   

MLB rules require that one person be designated to make decisions for each team.  That person has to be approved by MLB.  Right now, that person is John Angelos.  That cannot be changed without MLB’s consent.  So Georgia is not the legal owner, nor does she control the team, nor does she have unilateral power to say who controls the team.   

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, foxfield said:

It wouldn’t be windswept. I think they would let the Ravens practice there. 

I have this kind of half-formed vision of the O's leaving, then being replaced by an Atlantic League team, playing York and the SoMD Blue Crabs and Lew Ford's Long Island Ducks. Some celebrity or billionaire gets inspired by Ryan Reynolds and David Beckham and decides to get on the big guy buys a little team bandwagon. Starts signing some major league talent. And the new indy league Orioles and the Atlantic League become this kind of phenomenon, with their own TV show and crowds of 10s of thousands show up.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

She is not the legal owner.  

First, as most everyone knows, there is no one owner of the Orioles.  They are a limited liability company and they have multiple owners.   

Peter Angelos is the majority owner of the Orioles.  He is legally incompetent.  His wife has power of attorney to act on his behalf.  She is not the owner.  She acts for the owner.   

MLB rules require that one person be designated to make decisions for each team.  That person has to be approved by MLB.  Right now, that person is John Angelos.  That cannot be changed without MLB’s consent.  So Georgia is not the legal owner, nor does she control the team, nor does she have unilateral power to say who controls the team.   

As the person acting for majority owner Peter, Georgia does have unilateral power over John and the team.   I think this what was presented to the court when Lou sued.  John is only the person designated to run the team because Georgia has given him that right.  And she has the right to take it away.

I am power of attorney for my mother who is 100.  In the POA it states I have the right to sell, lease, manage everything for her.    

Please tell me how Peter and Georgia situation is different.