Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It has been astonishing to me how people have actually doubted this and wanted to defend Angelos on this. They didn’t want to believe it..couldn’t believe he would be this petty.

Really shocking to me that after all this time people still don’t believe this family would go this low and be this petty.

I remember you used to constantly talk about how poop the Warehouse was with the Angeloses at the top, and a lot of people (myself included) didn't really want to believe you because all the stories just seemed too petty and ridiculous to be true.  But in 2007 we didn't have 19 local and national reporters confirming the extent of their pettiness within 4 hours of the story breaking.

At this point, there's enough smoke around these stories to cook a turkey.

Edited by Hallas

So John Angelos has gone viral twice this year for sheer idiocy. Funny how he only came out of his hole once we started winning.

My takeaways here: Kevin Brown will bolt as soon as his contract allows. Whether that's next year or the year after. Mike Elias similarly is as good as gone. There is no way in hell he's going to stay and work for this cheap moron.

As magical as this season has been, I've not allowed myself to fully buy in because it will not be sustained long term and full measures will not be taken as long as we're owned by an Angelos.

1 hour ago, Pat Kelly said:

In a weird way this could end up being a positive on a few fronts.  1) when the Os were bad this would have been a non-story.  Franchise is a joke. Move on.  No one would be interested.  Ultimately this reinforces that the Baltimore Orioles are highly relevant, everyone in baseball is now paying attention. 2)  With higher standing comes greater standards - Os are expected to be good to great at everything now - media will no longer give them a pass.  3) Angelos now getting on MLB radar - he has been off MLB radar for awhile /a non-factor with no owner group relationships- other than the MASN thing but that was mostly a legal argument and although painful and aggravating, legitimate legally to contest up until resolution.   Angelos and questions about lease and ownership suitability will now begin to bubble up as 4) MLB and leagues does not take capricious owner behavior lightly - JA will now be on notice - embarrassing to MLB. Completely different if KB make a derisive comment,  commited an HR infraction etc.  He did not.  JA can do what he wants but not really and yes KB could probably claim JA has damaged his rep, maybe this is contructive dismissal etc - I mean JA is an idiot for doing this.    5) All of  this may accelerate a change, CEO coming in etc - JA may be asked to take a back seat if this type of behavior continues.  Sometimes it takes awhile but eventually bad leadership gets called out and replaced even if that means a team owner. 

Or this is simply an internal personnel matter that MLB recognizes there's exactly zero profit in getting involved in.  But you've written a wonderful narrative.

9 minutes ago, baltfan said:

So is a brown back tomorrow or do they wait longer hoping this blows over?

Game is on TBS tomorrow no MASN broadcast until Wednesday.

update: Wait it looks like it's MASN too according to their website. Thought this was a Network Exclusive game like Fox or AppleTV.

https://www.masnsports.com/component/programguide/?Itemid=178&date=2023-08-08

image.thumb.png.a447d933d691eb4a1d056a91cf823b8c.png

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

3 minutes ago, LA2 said:

This is my question about it, too: Do all these broadcasters have sepcial knowledge of what happened? They have a tremendous audience but don't seem to be taking care to figure out what really happened. Maybe it was as they're saying, but I have seen no reason to believe them on it yet.

I mean, I guess but why would virtually an entire industry risk their own professional reputations if there weren’t credible sources to back their statements? If what these other broadcasters and news outlets are saying was/is without merit then we should expect all of them to issue retractions. I’m sure the O’s would have some recourse with the league. Legally speaking I can’t say whether or not there is a case for slander or libel but I’m sure the O’s would have options if it were to be proven untrue.  

2 hours ago, crawjo said:

I still feel certain there is more to it than what is being reported. I cannot believe that Angelos was absolutely fine with Brown and then this happened and he got suspended indefinitely. Something else is going on here. Of course, what that something is probably makes Angelos look just as stupid and petty. 

I have to think you are right about this as well.  This is a very bad story if he got suspended one game for what he said but to be suspended indefinitely is just ludicrous.  

Talk about viral... The free publicity John Angelos has generated for himself in a bad way and for Kevin Brown in a good way is staggering.  Realistically this is just a personnel matter mishandled by a petty and tone deaf company owner that has snowballed in a completely unexpected way.  Or that's what it looks like on the outside anyway and I guess that's ultimately an important point in this media saturated world. 

Will this result in some kind of lesson being learned?  I'm not going to hold my breath because F. Scott Fitzgerald had it right: the rich are not like us.  Ironic fate for a blue collar team like the Orioles isn't it?

• Upvote 1

One irony on the NY criticism.  Always loved that Baltimore was the anti-NY and anti-Steinbrenner.  Can't say that anymore.  Angelos' pettiness rivals Steinbrenner.   Really had high hopes that John would would not be Peter - disappointed and concerned about the future given JA's bouts of pettiness. Such a bad look and an Orioles and Baltimore brand withdrawal vs a brand deposit.