When rosters expand who do we call up???

DocJJ

I think Hall is getting called up on Tuesday to replace Vespi. He’s ready. 

Means is set up to pitch on Aug 26 for 5 IP and then activated to start on Sep 1.  But that’s only if all goes well and they think he’s going to be effective. Not sure who they boot from the rotation with Irvin doing so well recently. 

Wells seems likely to come back at some point, but unclear what capacity. 

Position player wise, I think it’s Ortiz or (unfortunately) a third catcher. Kjerstad has really cooled off in recent weeks. If they wanted Cowser playing they would have brought him back instead of McKenna.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

I think it’s a shuttle. We’ll likely have a third catcher up at times. We’ll probably see Cowser, and maybe Ortiz. 

For pitchers, gotta think Hall is part of the shuttle. He may even be up on Tuesday for Vespi. Means and Wells will be up at times. We may see Irvin and Baumann optioned at times. I think they just keep rotating players in. 

I do think they may move guys around some. I think this team has more need for an OF than another INF. 

Even with the extra roster spot for pitchers, it's not enough for the 5 guys (on the 40 man roster) knocking on the door...

John Means

Tyler Wells

DL Hall

Danny Coulombe 

Austin Voth

Are all likely to be recalled at some point. And then there's trying to get Akin back to health.

The position player might be a little more interesting but I think Ortiz should get another look. 

7 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I forgot, we also have Bryan Baker in the mix to be recalled. So that there is 6 pitchers from the 40 man roster with only 1 spot to give them. And that's also if Akin is still on the IL. It's a crowded room for the pitching staff.

It’s definitely crowded for the pitching staff, but you’re not considering Vespi can be sent down too. There’s a lot of question marks. Means and Wells - are they going to be effective enough and are they starting or relieving? What do they do with Voth, who can’t be optioned and is a possible non-tender candidate this off-season? When is Coulombe going to be healthy, if at all?

They will have 14 pitchers on Sept 1. 

Locks (8): Bradish, Grayson, Flaherty, Gibson, Bautista, Cano, Perez, Webb

Lock if Healthy (1): Coulombe

Very Likely (6): Kremer, Irvin, Means, Hall, Baumann, Fujinami

Bubble (5): Wells, Voth, Baker, Akin, Vespi

Perez, Webb and Voth don’t have options.

If Coulombe is healthy they will need to bump somebody out from that “Very Likely” tier. And even if he’s not, I don’t see who goes to make space for Voth or Wells - perhaps Hall.

If they put Means or Wells into the rotation, they could do some temporary roster juggling to skip a start for Bradish, Grayson and/or Irvin by optioning them to the minors for the minimum 10 days. But I don’t think they’ll do that for Bradish or Grayson due to roster space considerations, only if they are trying to manage workload. 

11 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

It’s definitely crowded for the pitching staff, but you’re not considering Vespi can be sent down too. There’s a lot of question marks. Means and Wells - are they going to be effective enough and are they starting or relieving? What do they do with Voth, who can’t be optioned and is a possible non-tender candidate this off-season? When is Coulombe going to be healthy, if at all?

They will have 14 pitchers on Sept 1. 

Locks (8): Bradish, Grayson, Flaherty, Gibson, Bautista, Cano, Perez, Webb

Lock if Healthy (1): Coulombe

Very Likely (6): Kremer, Irvin, Means, Hall, Baumann, Fujinami

Bubble (5): Wells, Voth, Baker, Akin, Vespi

Perez, Webb and Voth don’t have options.

If Coulombe is healthy they will need to bump somebody out from that “Very Likely” tier. And even if he’s not, I don’t see who goes to make space for Voth or Wells - perhaps Hall.

If they put Means or Wells into the rotation, they could do some temporary roster juggling to skip a start for Bradish, Grayson and/or Irvin by optioning them to the minors for the minimum 10 days. But I don’t think they’ll do that for Bradish or Grayson due to roster space considerations, only if they are trying to manage workload. 

Kremer is a lock.

Remind me again of the new rules…are we only able to add 2 players?

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I forgot, we also have Bryan Baker in the mix to be recalled. So that there is 6 pitchers from the 40 man roster with only 1 spot to give them. And that's also if Akin is still on the IL. It's a crowded room for the pitching staff.

Baker doesn't "need" to be recalled in the way that some of the other do though (that is, he's not coming off the IL and needing to be added to the roster), and he's pretty far down the depth chart in terms of guys we need to make space for.  He's just depth at this point.

7 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Kremer is a lock.

Agree Kremer is a lock and yes, the roster expands from 26 to 28.

If it were me I'd DFA Fuji but I don't see them doing that.

Baumann still has options I believe.  He's been solid but could lose out in the numbers crunch depending on what they want to do with Wells, Hall and Means.

14 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Kremer is a lock.

They can add 2 players but can only have a max of 14 pitchers. So adding only one pitcher to the usual 13. 

Kremer is close to a lock but he has options and is already approaching career high workloads. It depends on that and if they view Kremer as part of the playoff rotation or bullpen (I don’t), if they want to be adding Means and potentially Wells into the rotation, and how Kremer and Irvin pitch down the stretch. 

6 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Agree Kremer is a lock and yes, the roster expands from 26 to 28.

Baumann still has options I believe.  He's been solid but could lose out in the numbers crunch depending on what they want to do with Wells, Hall and Means.

I agree Baumann could be sent out. He has an option and overall has not been great this year. But Hyde clearly loves him and frequently uses him in high leverage spots, so I don’t think it’s likely. 

Baumann also hasn’t been optioned this year and preserving his option for next year could be valuable. Hopefully they make some offseason additions so that he is not guaranteed a bullpen spot next year. 

8 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Wouldn’t shock me if they did at some point.  He’s not under contract beyond this year so they’re not losing a long term asset if he’s DFA.  But my guess is a move like that won’t be considered until mid-September.