Blue Jays Series - Part 4 (O’s lead 8-2)

RavensNOsGuy

4 minutes ago, DEOriolesfan said:

Toronto will miss the playoffs. I think 3 AL West teams will get in (Houston, Texas, Seattle). Tampa Bay will be the other wild card.

I think this is what will happen but Toronto has a good chance. They are only 1 game back of Seattle right now.

Bad news for Toronto is Seattle’s next 11 game are against the WS, KC, Oak and the Mets.  The good news for Tor is that Seattle has a brutal Sept with 20 games vs Cinci, Tex, Hou, LAD and Tampa (last 10 games vs Texas and Houston).

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, dystopia said:

A lot of times players just need a change of scenery. I wasn’t big on the acquisition but the jury is very much still out on whether he’s on the playoff roster or not. 

Considering that he will only get about 10 starts, the fact that he has a 7.07 ERA after 3 makes it look like he isn't going to be much help.

Means and Wells should be ready and will push Flaherty off of the playoff roster

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Considering that he will only get about 10 starts, the fact that he has a 7.07 ERA after 3 makes it look like he isn't going to be much help.

Means and Wells should be ready and will push Flaherty off of the playoff roster

Bradish had a 6.30 ERA after 3 starts this year because of one outing where he got bombed. 

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think this is what will happen but Toronto has a good chance. They are only 1 game back of Seattle right now.

Bad news for Toronto is Seattle’s next 11 game are against the WS, KC, Oak and the Mets.  The good news for Tor is that Seattle has a brutal Sept with 20 games vs Cinci, Tex, Hou, LAD and Tampa (last 10 games vs Texas and Houston).

Bad news for Texas and Houston, I think the Mariners are the real deal.

• Upvote 1

New style Grayson vs. Vlad's lineup (Bichette back too...rusty?) will be a good heat check.

The last few turns have seemed a lot like "throw some groundballs, they're more democratic" - he is just trucking guys.     The Blue Jays Bats impact the ball (on paper) about as well as anyone - their struggles with run production a pretty big surprise this season.

Daulton Varsho having that Adam Frazier "I don't know these AL pitchers" kind of experience?    He has heated up lately.

Springer has been better, we caught him in that terrible slump last series.

The zillion dollar question is the big man himself.    2023's results more evidence 2021 was an outlier and not the launch of an inner circle Hall of Fame decade or two.     He left Sunday's game in the middle with finger discomfort.

Last Tuesday - all of Bo, Chapman and Kiermaier were out with Canadian flavored variations of Santander's sore back.     Everybody's back for the big series.

21 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I don’t understand this logic.  He’s made three starts, one very good, one OK, one very bad.  None of that tells me how he’ll do in his next 7 starts and especially the 2-3 right before the playoffs.  Plus, how will the other pitchers do down the stretch?   Bottom line, it’s way too early to worry about who’s on the playoff roster.  Let’s focus on clinching a playoff spot and hopefully driving to a division title.  Then we can worry about who pitches in the playoffs.  

12 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Bradish had a 6.30 ERA after 3 starts this year because of one outing where he got bombed. 

Bradish is a young pitcher clearly figuring out, Flaherty is heading the other direction. I think you are arguing to argue and don't really believe in Flaherty, or perhaps you are related to him.

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, it is.  A million things can happen over the next 38 games that affect those decisions.  

Sure. Doesn't mean we can't think about it and discuss it. 

We have a lot of pitchers who are of very similar ability, and there is only a need for so many on a playoff roster. There is no reason that it shouldn't be a point of discussion. It is much more relevant than the 5 trade deadline threads and discussion that is always 99.9% wrong.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, it is.  A million things can happen over the next 38 games that affect those decisions.  

Cmon  Frobby, million is hyperbole and below you.

The O's should have contingency plans for all of the most likely occurencies

Means returns or doesn't , Wells returns of doesn't, Pitcher X suffers a serious injury, etc.

Somewhere on that list is that pitcher Y is ineffective in September and should be replaced by pitcher Z

I would hope a matrix of less than a million possibilities is being discussed by O's management.

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

Cmon  Frobby, million is hyperbole and below you.

The O's should have contingency plans for all of the most likely occurencies

Means returns or doesn't , Wells returns of doesn't, Pitcher X suffers a serious injury, etc.

Somewhere on that list is that pitcher Y is ineffective in September and should be replaced by pitcher Z

I would hope a matrix of less than a million possibilities is being discussed by O's management.

Mea culpa.  It’s still probably dozens.  I’d say the Warehouse is probably way more focused on making sure the team actually makes the playoffs, and maximizes its chances of winning the division title.  The playoff roster decisions probably will be a lot simpler to analyze when there’s a week left in the season than they are right now.  

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Bradish is a young pitcher clearly figuring out, Flaherty is heading the other direction. I think you are arguing to argue and don't really believe in Flaherty, or perhaps you are related to him.

Or, every pitcher is going to have outings where they are knocked out early and give up 5+ runs. That will happen to Bradish again along with every other pitcher in the league multiple times. 

It’s very possible Flaherty stinks it up the rest of the way, but I’m not going to make absurd claims like declaring him off the playoff roster after 3 starts. That’s absurd. 

• Upvote 2

Flaherty v. Kremer v. Means is a 6-week pitch off to be the SP3.      Tournament, the SP4 role is I believe less prominent than even the 4th or 5th reliever.

In Game 4 of a close series, Hyde I believe will have the bullpen up in the first couple innings if the opener isn't collecting outs efficiently.

I think as long as Tampa is at arm's length, Grayson and Bradish are once a week pitchers indefinitely.      Four good weeks and they can be none a week pitchers, or have planned abbreviated outings.      Barring ineffectiveness, the two lead dogs are clear, whether it is the ALWC or ALDS.      Team Chaos wants the division undecided in Games 161-162, and then deployment gets very interesting.

Gibson was nominally the '22 Phillies SP4 and threw about one inning the whole month.

• Like 1