Colorado Series

ShoelesJoe

Friday 7:05 ET -- Irvin vs Freeland (5-13 5.02 ERA)

Saturday 7:05 ET -- TBA vs Flexen (1-1 6.31)

Sunday 01:35 ET -- Bradish vs Blach (1-1 4.39)

Freeland and Blach are LH, Flexen is RH. 

All of these guys have terrible L/R and H/A splits:

Freeland is getting killed by RH batters this season (.310 /.357 /.539 /.897 against), and has been pretty bad in road games too (.302 / .344 / .525 / .868 against).

Flexen's splits are equally bad. LH batters are putting up .322 / .379 / .509 / .887 against him, And in road games he's been nuked for .405 / .446 / .694 / 1.140. 

Blach's numbers against RH batters are .325 / .364 / .444 / .809, and in road games he's at .298 / .351 / .476 / .827.

Colorado has a mediocre offense, only scoring 3.7 runs a game on the road. On paper the Orioles should be heavily favored in all three games, but on the field we've often had problems with LH pitchers we've never seen before. I expect we'll win at least one of the games in a double-digit blow out, but the other two could be toss ups depending on how our batters adjust during the games. 

• Upvote 1

Wow, those stats are brutal.  Just to pile on, Freeland has a 6.62 ERA over his last ten starts.  However, Flexen and Blach have been better lately.  Blach in particular has a 3.25 ERA over his last 6 starts, after spending most of May and June in the minors. So, he’s way more dangerous than his overall numbers suggest.  Flexen has been marginally better in August, with a 5.32 ERA in that span, and he’s coming off a good start.  

Who remembers that Ty Blach was briefly an Oriole?

As tends to be a pattern, COL's .375 overall comes from playing .460 ball at home and .300 ball on the road.

Hot or Not - Charlie Blackmon's back in the past week and running a .450 obp setting the table.    Ezequiel Tovar last year I remember as the other super young shortstop who did nearly as well as Gunnar Henderson in the Eastern League.    Nolan Jones was a surplus Cleveland prospect who is jelling.

Their starting catcher's name is Elias.     He is 9-for-19, but he was 2-for-20 before that.    BABIP, man.    Austin Wynns is the backup.

Freeland is an example of a pitcher extending with his original team before his Arb3 year.    

Kyle Freeland lhp
5 years/$64.5M (2022-26)

• 5 years/$64.5M (2022-26)
    • signed extension with Colorado 4/19/22 (avoided arbitration, $7.8M-$6.425M)
    • 22:$7M, 23:$10.5M, 24:$15M, 25:$16M, 26:$16M
    • conditional player option: with 170 innings pitched in 2026, Freeland earns a $17M player option for 2027
Edited by Just Regular
  • Upvote 2

Speaking of Wynns, our former No. 10 pick from 2013 has now played in more major league games than No. 2 pick Chance Sisco, but not as many as No. 4 pick Jonah Heim.  That was the year we drafted 4 catchers in the first 10 rounds of the draft.  Only no. 6 pick Alex Murphy didn’t make it to the bigs.

• Upvote 1

Not going to bother to look it up but I’m assuming their BP is terrible. Gave up all three Rays games in the late innings including losing a 2 run lead in the ninth in one of them. So even if their starter pitches well in one or more of these games, we just need ours to keep us in it, which they’ve done pretty consistently for a while now. 

A good chance to literally guarantee a winning season with our 82nd win before we even get to September. That’s exciting stuff!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

They better lay down for us like the just did to TB or I'm going to be very annoyed haha.

I wouldn't say they laid down for Tampa.  They led 4-3 in the 8th inning of the first game, 5-3 in the 9th inning of the second game, and the 3rd game was tied in the 8th.