Arm injury for Bautista?

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

It's not just the individual brilliance of the player, it's the dropoff between the player and his replacement. 2023 Adley --> 2023 McCann isn't as steep of a cliff as 2023 Felix --> 2023 whoever his replacement is.

You have to adjust for importance of the position. But I think when you shrink the sample size to the playoffs where one inning is the difference between a championship and not, closer becomes even more important.

There's a straight faced argument Felix is the most indispensable player.

You would also have the drop off between McCann and his replacement.

I trust Hall, Wells and Means a lot more than I do Bemboon.

• Upvote 1

Just now, baltfan said:

This reminds me of when Machado blew out his knee or when we found out Davis was suspended.  Still, this team is resilient as hell and I think they can still get it done. 

Markakis getting hit by Sabathia in September 2012.

• Upvote 1

Just now, seak05 said:

Felix Bautista is/was important in the regular season, but the team would've been good even without him. Top flight relievers who can go multiple innings are incredibly important in the playoffs 

I don't know.

I'm pretty sure the Mets would be battling it out with the Braves right now if Edwin Díaz hadn't been hurt.

I figure that's cost them at least twenty-two wins.

• Haha 2

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

No I really don’t see it that way. 

Is it not plausible that going from Felix to not Felix is the difference in swinging one game in the ninth inning in the playoffs? Is it not plausible that one game in the playoffs leads to being eliminated?

I don't think a metric like WAR tells the whole story here. That's a fine indicator over the course of many games. But in the playoffs, if the closer blows it, the game is over. There's no time within the game or possibly even the series or adjust. I understand this is a squishy thought, but if McCann allows a passed ball in the third inning that Adley wouldn't have, there's a way to recover from that. No such case if the closer hangs a breaking ball.

Plus I would argue the relevance of a closer increases in the playoffs. Unlike the regular season, they can theoretically appear in every game. And the competitive balance is typically tighter in the playoffs, so you would expect more close games that beget their appearing.

Even if you don't think he's the most valuable player, he's not too far down the list.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You would also have the drop off between McCann and his replacement.

I trust Hall, Wells and Means a lot more than I do Bemboon.

That's fair. We do have more options at closer. But if any one of them fails where Felix wouldn't have, the consequences are catastrophic.