Arm injury for Bautista?

Sports Guy

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is my worse fear. They rehab him and then in spring training next year it doesn't help and he's off to surgery. Now a season and half is done vs one season if he does it now. I certainly don't have all the details so I don't have a strong opinion other than if it's even close to a tear they should just get the surgery and not risk losing him for part of 2025.

Exactly. TJ now puts a definite ceiling on how long it will take to get him back, but you don't want to put someone under the knife and guarantee they will miss a year if you don't have to. Really tough situation. One of those situations where whatever you choose you will feel like you made the wrong choice.

16 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

If they move him to the 60 day would that open up a spot on 40 man for McDermott?

Why do you think it’s relevant? He has almost a 0 percent chance of being called up. Wells, Baker, Krehbiel, Means, Baumann, are all names of guys that will be called up if there is an opening.

There was a brief moment during Game 2, I believe it was in the 7th before we scored, Cano was warming up as if to come in to a tie game rather than to close. I believe at that point Ben or someone said they aren't going to have a full time closer and were going to use Cano for the toughest matchups, and the top of the order was coming up. 

We ended up scoring three, Cano sits, and Hyde leaves Coulombe in for two more outs, then Cano comes in ostensibly for a four out save starting with Robert. Then all hell broke loose and Hyde mopped up with Fuji. 

So Cano ended up being used in the closer role, but we got a glimpse of a possible matchup strategy. If Cano had come in for the top of the order, I wonder who would have gotten the 9th had it stayed a save situation. Webb? 

9 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

There was a brief moment during Game 2, I believe it was in the 7th before we scored, Cano was warming up as if to come in to a tie game rather than to close. I believe at that point Ben or someone said they aren't going to have a full time closer and were going to use Cano for the toughest matchups, and the top of the order was coming up. 

We ended up scoring three, Cano sits, and Hyde leaves Coulombe in for two more outs, then Cano comes in ostensibly for a four out save starting with Robert. Then all hell broke loose and Hyde mopped up with Fuji. 

So Cano ended up being used in the closer role, but we got a glimpse of a possible matchup strategy. If Cano had come in for the top of the order, I wonder who would have gotten the 9th had it stayed a save situation. Webb? 

I had wondered the same thing. Was it going to be 2 innings for Cano? 

Are they going to be willing to do Hall on back to back days?  That is not something he is used to do as of yet. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I had wondered the same thing. Was it going to be 2 innings for Cano? 

Are they going to be willing to do Hall on back to back days?  That is not something he is used to do as of yet. 

Cano had not pitched the day before so two inning save may have been a possibility. That would have been pretty aggressive in terms of leverage and workload. If Cano had gotten a 1-2-3 inning in the 7th, CHW would have had Vaughn (RHB) leading off. So maybe Webb for Vaughn-Colas-Sosa or Cionel for Colas (LHB)-Sosa-Lee? 

I saw Roch's pregame blog yesterday Hyde referred to "committee" and Roch himself says Cano gets "first shut" but "won't be handed to him", whatever that means. Also no update on Bautista. "Maybe later this week."

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/orioles-pregame-notes-on-expanding-roster-closer-situation-hays-hicks-and-more

Some Dodgers game theory news in Jay Jaffe's column today.     I do wonder if games might be played if there's any squishy diagnosis like trying a few more pitches won't make anything worse.     He'd still have almost 18 months before Opening Day 2025 if procedure is Halloween or Labor Day, and a few games between now and then might mean a lot to him.

Gonsolin had apparently been pitching through a UCL tear, something he and the Dodgers knew based on imaging done after that June 13 start. Mindful of the concurrent losses of Dustin May and Julio Urías to the IL, Gonsolin elected to pitch through the injury. “I was just hoping I could make it through the season, put up good numbers and just post,” he told reporters. “I thought I had full capability to do that.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/tony-gonsolin-and-recent-tommy-john-surgery-trends/

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Some Dodgers game theory news in Jay Jaffe's column today.     I do wonder if games might be played if there's any squishy diagnosis like trying a few more pitches won't make anything worse.     He'd still have almost 18 months before Opening Day 2025 if procedure is Halloween or Labor Day, and a few games between now and then might mean a lot to him.

Gonsolin had apparently been pitching through a UCL tear, something he and the Dodgers knew based on imaging done after that June 13 start. Mindful of the concurrent losses of Dustin May and Julio Urías to the IL, Gonsolin elected to pitch through the injury. “I was just hoping I could make it through the season, put up good numbers and just post,” he told reporters. “I thought I had full capability to do that.”

That's insane that they even tried that. 

20 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Cleveland is a small market team. What is JA's excuse to do nothing to help the team???

I don't know how he thinks he can spend nothing and get away with it?

What is anyone going to do about the amount of money he spends or not?  So far he is getting away with it.  

21 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Cleveland is a small market team. What is JA's excuse to do nothing to help the team???

I don't know how he thinks he can spend nothing and get away with it?

Uhh... that the Orioles have the best record in the league and have the last pick in the waiver process and the players were all gone before they got to their spot?

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

No! No! No! No fentanyl to easy the physical pain in order to reduce any psychological pain!

(Not inferring Gonsolin used any pain medication, although it seems impossible considering previous posts)

Edited by JimGinSP