O's 2024 Infield

larrytt

I think the 2B/SS/3B is pretty easy actually. Mateo and Frazier are replacement level players and shouldn't return. Ortiz should be promoted. That's that. Henderson, Westburg, Ortiz, Urias. Ramon is a good part time contributor to have. Holiday or Mayo would push him out. 

1B/OF/DH is harder for me. At least one trade clearing away this positional logjam seems inevitable to me. Try to find regular playing time for: Hays, Mullins, Santander, Cowser, Kjerstad, Mountcastle, O'Hearn. 

Really like Westburg at second. Really like Ramon at 3rd. 

According to Fielding Bible, the two best defenders on the 2023 Orioles are: Gunnar Henderson and Ramon Urias.

1b- Mountcastle

2b- Westburg

SS- Gunnar

3b- Urias

Inf Bench 1- Joey Ortiz

Inf Bench 2- Ryan O'Hearn

Then Holiday, Norby, and others can challenge the players above for spots as the season (and injuries) unfold.

I could also see Santander playing more 1B next year if we don't have O'Hearn. 

Edited by TommyPickles

41 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Sounds like some innovative stuff. I hope no other young prospects find out about this type of offseason program.

I won’t stoop to your level of snark in my reply, but you said you don’t think he’ll have the power necessary to compete for ROY. 

Well, I have news for you. That’s just not an accurate depiction of reality.

As stated, he’s already bulked up significantly in the year plus after being drafted. He’s got 45 XBH in 407 ABs across the 3 levels this far and is slugging 517 overall. It’s safe to say he’ll add another 10-15lbs of muscle mass during the offseason. While his current swing may not be conducive to huge 70/80 grade power, he’ll be plenty strong enough to do damage with the bat in the majors in ‘24. It’s really not that difficult to see or be able to project. If he starts the season on the ML roster next year, 20+ home runs is easily within the realm.  

3 hours ago, baltfan said:

They are trying to win and he is the only one of the guys that need to be moved that hits from both sides of the plate.  I would move either Mountcastle or Hays.

I don't think its an "on field only" decision. I would agree with you if all things were equal but, Santander's pending FA makes him different. 

6 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I don't think its an "on field only" decision. I would agree with you if all things were equal but, Santander's pending FA makes him different. 

Not really, you can get more for guys with more time left.  Moreover, Santander leaving at the end of next year could be a good thing as you need to make some room.

How much is too much in terms of depending on rookies/young players in a year where you are going for a WS?

It’s a really tough spot if you think about it because Cowser, Ortiz and Kjerstad really have nothing left to prove in AAA..Mayo may enter that category by the end of the month and Holliday is charging up here.

How much youth is too much and do you really worry about it? If these guys are as talented as we think, do you just say F it, we are doing this.

I mean, the 2023 Orioles are going to win 95-100 games. If this current team played next year, I would definitely take the under if you set it at 90.5, much less 94.5.

In other words, I don’t buy that the talent on this current team could repeat this season especially with Bautista not playing. 

That said, there will also likely be growing pains with the rookies/younger players (see Adley’s sophomore slump), so do you put all those eggs into the same basket?

Some of this is just going to happen naturally but how much should they do and is there such thing as too much?

13 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Not really, you can get more for guys with more time left.  Moreover, Santander leaving at the end of next year could be a good thing as you need to make some room.

I guess we will see who is correct. I like Santander but I think he will not be here at the end of 2024. 

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How much is too much in terms of depending on rookies/young players in a year where you are going for a WS?

It’s a really tough spot if you think about it because Cowser, Ortiz and Kjerstad really have nothing left to prove in AAA..Mayo may enter that category by the end of the month and Holliday is charging up here.

How much youth is too much and do you really worry about it? If these guys are as talented as we think, do you just say F it, we are doing this.

I mean, the 2023 Orioles are going to win 95-100 games. If this current team played next year, I would definitely take the under if you set it at 90.5, much less 94.5.

In other words, I don’t buy that the talent on this current team could repeat this season especially with Bautista not playing. 

That said, there will also likely be growing pains with the rookies/younger players (see Adley’s sophomore slump), so do you put all those eggs into the same basket?

Some of this is just going to happen naturally but how much should they do and is there such thing as too much?

You always want some veteran presence on your team.  But at some point, your own battle-tested players are all the veteran presence you need.   In other words, I don’t see the need to fill the Gibson and Frazier slots with similar-type veterans next year.  Whatever our younger players could have learned from them, they should have learned by now.  These guys have been through the wars now.

Now if we want to go get someone who’s just a better player at a certain spot than the guys we have, that’s a different story.  

• Upvote 1

If Holliday hits well in Norfolk, I believe he will be called up to Baltimore for a few games later this month.  If he looks ready for the majors then a roster spot will be his to lose next Opening Day.  I think the O's want him to win ROY and get the draft pick, and the only question the team has to decide is whether he's ready for that next season or whether they have to wait until 2025.