I dont know how far this team goes in 2023....but I know this..

Roy Firestone

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

We have been pretty lucky with injuries, especially compared to Tampa.  

Something to remember is that having a lot of young players decreases injury risk. It doesn’t guarantee health, especially for pitchers, but guys are much more likely to break down at 33 than at 23.  See Aaron Hicks.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

Something to remember is that having a lot of young players decreases injury risk. It doesn’t guarantee health, especially for pitchers, but guys are much more likely to break down at 33 than at 23.  See Aaron Hicks.

I agree completely here.   

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree Roy. I said this in the game thread last night. I can't think of a more fun Orioles team in all the years I've watched Orioles baseball.

Sure, the 1983 team was fun because it won so much, but the hitting was never really that good overall and the talent besides Cal was on the older side where you knew this was the end of the window (Well I was 13 and didn't understand windows but when you look back you can see it). 

This team hasn't even really hit it's window yet here they are!  

The 1979 team was a blast. I just wish that at 12 years old I had been more able to appreciate that team. 

If I recall the only games we could watch were away games on Channel 13?

15 hours ago, Too Tall said:

This team followed up Sunday with last night's game. All while some on here questioned "celebrating." If you can't totally embrace this team and appreciate this season, you will never be satisfied no matter what. To paraphrase my kids, the young teams of the Glory Years were fun to watch, but to me this team is funner. Perhaps it's my age or because of all the down time. Heck, my whole famjly talks Oriole baseball again and it has been a while. I just keep waiting for the encore. Elias said and he has delivered. And, Hyde is a damn good manager who I totally respect. We are lucky to be afforded this ride. Yet the greatest is, I feel this is just Act 1. If that all be Orange Collered Glasses, color me guilty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree wholeheartedly.

This seems like a good place to point out that since the Allstar Break, the O's lead the AL East in runs, RBI, OPS, AVE, doubles, triples, hits, sac, SF, and (defensively) turned the most double plays. They are second in ERA only to Toronto. They lead the entire AL in run differential at +79, with the Rays second at +51. When anyone questions whether the O's are really as good as the Rays, remember that we lead them in ALL of these categories since the Allstar Break. And that is why the O's have gone 41-21 since the Allstar Break, while the Rays have gone 35-24.

• Upvote 2

This team is special for sure.  And in the near future we might have better players and bigger stars but not win as much as this team is winning.  100 wins is hard in any division but even harder in the American league East.  Likely NY and Boston try to get better with money this offseason.  Maybe we dont win as much next year but end up an even stronger playoff team.  Maybe we have two aces and have more players in their prime of their careers and over the rookie jitters. I wonder what peak Adley and peak Gunnar and peak Jackson can do.  Because we aint there yet.  

1 hour ago, Gurgi said:

This team is special for sure.  And in the near future we might have better players and bigger stars but not win as much as this team is winning.  100 wins is hard in any division but even harder in the American league East.  Likely NY and Boston try to get better with money this offseason.  Maybe we dont win as much next year but end up an even stronger playoff team.  Maybe we have two aces and have more players in their prime of their careers and over the rookie jitters. I wonder what peak Adley and peak Gunnar and peak Jackson can do.  Because we aint there yet.  

Damn straight.

12 hours ago, Jagwar said:

The 1979 team was a blast. I just wish that at 12 years old I had been more able to appreciate that team. 

If I recall the only games we could watch were away games on Channel 13?

Yep, 40 games a year on TV and hardly any of them were home games.  That’s what made radio so special.

On 9/19/2023 at 1:28 AM, Roy Firestone said:

I think this has been the most thrilling Oriole season since the glory years of Frank and Brooks and Boog and Palmer. A more charismatic team than the Cal, Eddie, Singleton teams...The Orioles of 2023 have had more electrifying  highlights, more compelling games, more surprises, and more young talent than any I can remember any time recently. This team just never gives up, is almost never out of any game, has an uncanny ability to come through and win those comebacks games.... and this team also seems to really be made up of a bunch of guys who really like each other and are happy when the other teammates do well. It's the easiest team to love in my 60 years of being an Oriole fan. Bless these guys...no matter what happens, this is my favourite Oriole team in 50 years. I've loved every moment of this season.This is a ride that never ends...but if and when it does...what a hell of a ride these guys gave us.

This is the most fun I've had as an Orioles fan for the reason you mention, and following our amazing farm system makes it all the better.  

On 9/19/2023 at 1:55 AM, Roy Firestone said:

Holliday, and Mayo, and Ortiz are coming...and Means at full strength next year, this team is going to be very good for a long time...if they stay healthy...

I think Elias has shown that his approach is designed to account for injuries as well. The organizational depth has allowed the team to overcome injuries to a number of key contributors this year without the team missing a beat.

6 hours ago, larrytt said:

This seems like a good place to point out that since the Allstar Break, the O's lead the AL East in runs, RBI, OPS, AVE, doubles, triples, hits, sac, SF, and (defensively) turned the most double plays. They are second in ERA only to Toronto. They lead the entire AL in run differential at +79, with the Rays second at +51. When anyone questions whether the O's are really as good as the Rays, remember that we lead them in ALL of these categories since the Allstar Break. And that is why the O's have gone 41-21 since the Allstar Break, while the Rays have gone 35-24.

Maybe we have that thread about the O's having no chance at winning the world series because they didn't have strong run differential to thank for the 2nd half dominance?

Major reverse jinxage there.

Edited by bluedog

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It’s a pretty baller move to walk into an opposing stadium with a broom

Personally, I think that fans of the opposing team should not rub the home team’s fans’ noses in it when we win.  I despise how Yankees and Red Sox fans used to act at OPACY, and I don’t want to see Orioles’ fans acting that way.  Support your team, get up behind the visitors’ dugout if you want and cheer your guys as they come off the field, but be classy.  

• Upvote 1