Saturday, Sept 23: Orioles at Guardians

SteveA

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This too. I think you were onto something with your comment last night regarding this. Cano was used sparingly the first half of the month being saved for the ninth inning.

Cano is more used to pitching every 2 to 3 days. Keep him using him and have two or three pitchers that can be used in save situations.

Thanks.  He has to have the correct arm slot too. He tends to lose it. Consistent work is the best way to prevent it. 

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Ideally, you want a closer who strikes people out. This is why Bautista was so good and Cano and Perez aren't strikeout pitchers. I guess you could play the potential matchups with them in the 8th and 9th, but I don't want a 7K/9 guy closing out every game. That's asking for trouble.

Sure, strikeout pitchers are ideal, especially with the new extra inning rules.  But most closers are coming in for the 9th.  That’s just about getting three outs without allowing a run.  Bautista was pitching like the second coming of Chapman, so everyone is going to come up short in comparison (figuratively and literally).  DL Hall is probably our best bullpen option for Ks, but I wouldn’t trust him as a closer at this point.  

I am really hoping the Felix comes back for the playoffs (and pitches like he was before the injury).  We’ll see, but it would be such a big boost for the team.

5 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

Sure, strikeout pitchers are ideal, especially with the new extra inning rules.  But most closers are coming in for the 9th.  That’s just about getting three outs without allowing a run.  Bautista was pitching like the second coming of Chapman, so everyone is going to come up short in comparison (figuratively and literally).  DL Hall is probably our best bullpen option for Ks, but I wouldn’t trust him as a closer at this point.  

I am really hoping the Felix comes back for the playoffs (and pitches like he was before the injury).  We’ll see, but it would be such a big boost for the team.

When you need 3 outs, strikeouts are a guaranteed out vs. having the variables of what happens once a ball is in play. How many closers in MLB have a K/9 of 7? I'm guessing not too many.

10 hours ago, Malike said:

The Braves were glad they got the 4 days rest last year, then played like garbage and the Phillies knocked their dicks in the dirt.

How the Rockies lost their edge in the 2007 WS waiting around for an AL champ to be decided has always been an object lesson to me.

22 hours ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

Well, you're not wrong about some loving to complain, but even you should be able to agree that the plate ump in this particular game is inconsistent.  And inconsistency causes batters to react differently than they normally might in anticipation of an expanded strike zone.  Problem is the ump in this game is expanding and contracting the zone between hitters.  There is no consistency.

Must be getting his calls from the James Webb Space Telescope (has breathed life back into the concept of cosmic oscillation and non-continuous lawfulness).

Edited by LA2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

If this is the case it's even more ammo for Hyde as MOY...

There is little doubt Hyde will win MOY. We can pick away at certain moves, but every manager can and we don't always have all he information that he has at the moment he has to make the decision.

• Upvote 1