Many Reasons to be Optimistic for the Postseason

psagawa

I think it’s been overlooked how good and deep the Orioles’ left handed relievers are. Most teams with good bullpens generally will have one lefty out there on the level of Coulombe, Perez and Hall, and at most two. Even the great Orioles bullpens of past years didn’t have 3 quality lefty relievers like this. That’s a huge strength. 

Pair that with the strength of the Orioles’ righty starters and the Orioles are really well situated for any matchup.

• Upvote 1

I am never optimistic in regards to baseball postseason.  I lived through 1966 and 1969… through 1970 and 1971… through 1979 and 1983… it is always a total crapshoot.   We could just as easily win the World Series as lose 3 in a row in the division series. 

It has been 40 years since the WS though .. we have lost postseason wise every time since 1983 .. we are due, I hope lol 

Edited by tntoriole

Seeding is stupid. The best division in AL (maybe baseball) battle it out for the right to play lesser teams in the other two divisions in the third round for the AL Title. It's boring too. They've played each other 12 times already. Due to the season schedule and playoffs, TB/T may end up playing each other 8 games in a row and 11 of their final 13 (potential) games. Must see baseball, not so IMO.

I’m just looking at it as having a 12.5% chance to win the World Series. I like our guys and like how we’re playing (slight concern with the offense), but anything can happen in a short series. I’m gonna enjoy the playoffs because we’re there but anything beyond this amazing regular season is a bonus. 

Edited by waroriole

17 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

All teams are "flawed", all teams lose 1/3 of their games.

All playoff teams … there are teams like us in 2021 that lose 2/3 of games 

But yes, it is the team that is hot that wins..no matter how badly they may have played in July.  (See NY Mets 1969) 

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

Atlanta said they are doing simulated games in their off days.  Have the O’s said how they are handling it?

And the Braves are opening up their workouts/simulated games to the fans for free, which is a nice gesture.

According to either Roch or Steve (I forgot which one said it), the O's are still determining what their workout/sim game plans will be for the week. I hope they do something similar to the Braves.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m terrified of most of our pitching staff in huge situations.

I've been apprehensive about our pitching staff in any situation at all for the entire season and they've usually proved me wrong.   So if they let us down what's it going to be?  The inevitable post-season crapshoot, or the lack of true quality finally revealing itself after an entire year of smoke and mirrors?

I've waited all season for the other shoe to drop.  I can wait another eleven games or so and I won't be making myself crazy while I do so.  At this point they've earned a little confidence from us.

22 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

The one thing I’m uncertain about with a team with very little postseason experience is how they handle nerves and all the added attention. Some guys continue to do what they did all year, and others seem to put too much pressure on themselves. I remember players like Adam Jones and Wieters whose postseason OPS were each south of .450, SSS notwithstanding (because for most players, SSS is often all you get). But this core had zero expectations, there is no “now or never” pressure, so I hope they go out without a care in the world… and just casually and meticulously knock down every opponent over the next three series.

We will face very good pitching in the playoffs.  Take a look at Eddie Murray's post season stats for 1979. his 3rd year in the league.  I expect similar results from our youngsters in their first taste of post season pressure.  And, let me add, I hope that I'm wrong, but young players tend to try and do TOO MUCH, which results in doing NOT ENOUGH.

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m terrified of most of our pitching staff in huge situations.

If our starters don't perform in huge situations, then we don't have to worry about the bullpen.  

If you are referring specifically to the bullpen, then I'm totally with you.  Again, these guys haven't "been there, done that" as it relates to post season, do or die pressures.

On 9/30/2023 at 3:49 PM, psagawa said:

2. Bullpen - The additions of Wells, Flaherty, and Kremer/Gibson will be big, adding reliable arms to the stalwarts Cano, Perez, Coulombe, Webb, and Hall. All of them will be well rested after the bye. There will probably be one more out there - probably Fuji but there are a few more to consider - but I wouldn't expect them to get much work unless the birds are in a blowout.

3. Likely opponents - The Rays and Jays are the most likely ALDS opponents. We beat both of them decisively this year. We will be at home. We will be completely rested. Our starting pitching will be lined up as we like it (theirs will not).  Presuming we win there, we would face Texas, Minnesota, Houston/Seattle.  We are a clearly a better team than either the Twins or Mariners, despite both teams starting pitching (you have to be able to hit too). Texas and Houston are bigger challenges, but we have played a LOT better than either down the stretch.

I'm uncertain that we "decisively" beat the Rays... and our relievers have me nervous . But spot on re: our starting pitchers and all the other points made. Feeling cautiously optimistic!

Edited by Idaho_OriolesFan