Who should come to the majors and when? Who should be traded?

Sports Guy

Mayo and Holliday, a basic question is do you prioritize maximizing their readiness for October 2024 or conserving another strong play for 2025 Rookie of the Year?  Hopefully by this point in the Club's competitive ascent, Now gains some equity on Later.

I wonder if Cowser and Kjerstad both get near everyday run early to see which horse is stronger against Evan Carter, Junior Caminero, etc.     Even if Hays/Santander both stay, Mountcastle/O'Hearn could be the 2023 regulars they unseat.

I just took my first look at the April 2024 schedule, and wow is it soft: LAA-KCR-PIT-BOS-MIL-MIN-KCR-LAA-OAK.     If OAK-KCR-LAA are the 3 worst teams in the league, that's 5 out of our 6 series on the year with that group before a single game with the Rays, Yankees or Blue Jays.

If Elias really wants to push his Rookies counting stats, maybe the lineups look like:

SS Gunnar, LF Cowser, C Adley, 1B Santander, DH Kjerstad, RF Hays, CF Mullins, 2B Westburg, 3B Urias

I hope in early 2024 the assessment is baseline playoff odds are high enough you mostly play the lefty aircraft carrier bats against all pitching even if slow throwing southpaws befuddle them sometimes.      The only way out is through, and I'd hope not to have to put Aaron Hicks or Ryan McKenna in against Framber Valdez next fall.

10 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

He was in the .720’s for the abbreviated ‘20 season and in ‘22 and ‘23. 

Although he did look much better than that at points this year, he has one outlier season at the plate.

Not sure why there would be any expectation for him to be a .770+ guy and improve his market value while giving up a year of control.

He was in that area prior to the injuries this year, particularly before he got hurt the second time. 

I honestly am not banking on him being a 770-ish guy but I think he can do it.

What I would bank on is him being healthier and just a better all around player.

Im not opposed to trading him. I have been calling for it for a few years however, with the absence of a real CFer and the team being a real contender now, it’s harder to get rid of him.

After 2024, Bradfield should be ready (or close to it) by then and if they can get Fabian to fix the hole in his swing, he could be ready too.

But unless you are trading for Robert or signing Bellinger, I’m not seeing it,

Edited by Sports Guy

I think that if they trade prospects it will be from a list that a GM can choose from. I think the only untouchable is Holiday and maybe Bassillo (sp?). If they are not traded, I can see Cowser, Kjerstad and Oritz on the team. I am assuming that Mateo is gone but I wouldn't mind him staying if Ortiz is gone. I think Santander and Hays (most likely one) will be traded. I am okay with Mountcastle staying as long as he's on a platoon with a LHH not named O'Hearn. I am not a believer that O'Hearn is for real. I think that Holiday will be on the OD roster unless he stinks in ST (which he won't). I think they will want the pick that having Holiday up all year will net. I think guys like Norby etc... will be depth in AAA. Mayo maybe up at some point due to injuries or performance. A lot will depend on how comfortable they are with having multiple rookies on the roster. Will they really start 4 rookies? (Holiday, Kjerstad, Cowser, Ortiz).

I think Hays, Urias, Mateo, Stowers are gone. I could see it either way with Cowser and O'Hearn. Keep Santander. It'd be nice to get a proven/experienced bat in a trade. People keep talking about Luis Robert. Is there any reason or indication to think the White Sox are trading him? That would make a great transition, to be able to move him to LF eventually if Bradfield pans out in a couple years. 

Just a note about Norby. In a players poll the other stars thought Norby had the best bat of all. He was dynamite in the AAA playoff series. But most important, as I followed the AAA box scores daily through the season, the guy was so consistent: seemingly always 1 for 4 or better. Sure would help to have a guy like that in the lineup every day to even out the streaky players like Santander, Hays, Mountcastle. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, now said:

Just a note about Norby. In a players poll the other stars thought Norby had the best bat of all. He was dynamite in the AAA playoff series. But most important, as I followed the AAA box scores daily through the season, the guy was so consistent: seemingly always 1 for 4 or better. Sure would help to have a guy like that in the lineup every day to even out the streaky players like Santander, Hays, Mountcastle. 

But it sounds like he doesn't really have a defensive position. He was used some in LF - I think Tony said he didn't look very good there. 

We do need a consistent RH bat in the lineup. Is it worth having him on the roster primarily as a DH?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He might be the best player in the org right now. He could come up and have Gunnar/Carroll like production immediately.

You don’t sit on that level of talent for several months because of a draft pick especially not when you are a contender.

I can buy the argument of waiting until late early June to hope that he doesn’t accrue enough time to pull an Adley and take the year away from you but that’s about it. Of course, if they just sign him, none of this would matter.

You are fooling yourself if you think he could come up and produce at Gunnar levels.  He barely had 10 homers in the minors.  He hits the ball on the ground a ton and teams aren't going to respect his power.  He is going to be a stud, but he is still young and developing.  

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

You are fooling yourself if you think he could come up and produce at Gunnar levels.  He barely had 10 homers in the minors.  He hits the ball on the ground a ton and teams aren't going to respect his power.  He is going to be a stud, but he is still young and developing.  

I’m not saying he will and where he is today physically could be far different than he will be 6 months from now. 

He is out producing what Gunnar did and he’s doing it at higher levels at the same age.

Our rotation needs to get more LH.  The bullpen falls in line after that depending who makes the rotation, or if anyone is signed.  For prospects...

Holliday - June 16th

Cowser - OD or shortly after

Kjerstad - OD or shortly after

Mayo - Westburg treatment unless there is an injury or two

Hall - OD if a reliever

Irvin, Zimmerman, and Mckenna all will be freshly out of options for next year.  

26 minutes ago, now said:

Thanks for posting this. I'm far from an expert but I like this player and think if we trade him, we will regret it. I admit defense is important but so is the ability to consistently hit. I hope we can find a role for Norby. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Thanks for posting this. I'm far from an expert but I like this player and think if we trade him, we will regret it. I admit defense is important but so is the ability to consistently hit. I hope we can find a role for Norby. 

I keep forgetting about Norby. 1B is always an option if Norby can't stick at another position defensively.

Maybe they trade Westburg or Ortiz to make room for Norby. Elias is going to have a lot of tough decisions to make when it comes to comprising next year's roster. Not a bad problem to have as opposed to state of the farm system when Elias joined the Orioles.

39 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

But it sounds like he doesn't really have a defensive position. He was used some in LF - I think Tony said he didn't look very good there. 

We do need a consistent RH bat in the lineup. Is it worth having him on the roster primarily as a DH?

@Tony-OH recently said Norby may be a better OF prospect than at second. I saw him play outfield once or twice in August, but he wasn’t challenged and I can’t glean much regarding his jumps, etc., I think he is probably athletic enough to play out there if he gets sufficient reps. Whether he does that in this organization is a separate question.