Some potential moves for this offseason

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok, but I see nothing wrong with starting with Means in the rotation.  He could pitch 20 innings and go down or he could pitch 150 and get through the year.   Just because the odds of Means making 32 starts is probably way under 50% doesn’t mean it’s a bad gamble.    You still have Irvin as a safety net, and Povich and McDermott trying to make a case for a mid season promotion.

I agree, Means is in the rotation. I HOPE Hyde doesn't ride him hard or I anticipate a Wells-like outcome. It would be good if Hyde utilized his long men more early in games vs matching up in 1-inning stints.

• Upvote 1

I could see a 2 yr deal for Means being considered by both sides, on the rationale that two healthy and effective years post-TJS could improve his stock more than just 2024. It may not improve it enough to make up for entering free agency a year later, but the trade off is a decent chunk of guaranteed money when he’s still not established himself as fully recovered.

It would have to be something like his projected arb salary for 2024 plus ~$12-16M for 2025. 

There’s no way Means is signing a 3 year deal. He’s better off going to free agency after this year. 

4 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

I agree, Means is in the rotation. I HOPE Hyde doesn't ride him hard or I anticipate a Wells-like outcome. It would be good if Hyde utilized his long men more early in games vs matching up in 1-inning stints.

This is definitely one change I want to see with how Hyde (and the analytics team by extension) handles the pitching staff. They need to have a bullpen pitcher or two who can be utilized over two or three innings on occasion.

Cole Irvin and Tyler Wells (if he's not in the starting rotation) are capable of filling this role. It felt like for stretches the same 4 or 5 relievers were pitching every game for a one inning or less stint.

27 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This is definitely one change I want to see with how Hyde (and the analytics team by extension) handles the pitching staff. They need to have a bullpen pitcher or two who can be utilized over two or three innings on occasion.

Cole Irvin and Tyler Wells (if he's not in the starting rotation) are capable of filling this role. It felt like for stretches the same 4 or 5 relievers were pitching every game for a one inning or less stint.

Agree with this and I also wanna see him quit letting guys start an inning, allow a base runner, and then immediately get pulled. Either let the guy get out of trouble or give the RP a clean start to the inning. 

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

I'd like to trade for that last year of Paul Goldschmidt's contract

Would something like Mountcastle, Beavers, and Wagner get it done if we take the whole contract?

If the Cardinals were going to trade Goldschmidt they would have done it at the trade deadline. They were known sellers way in advance of the deadline and could have easily found a buyer. He lost a lot of trade value going from 1.5 yr (2 postseasons) to 1 yr remaining on his deal. They were only shopping players on expiring contracts because they wanted to reload this year. 

4 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

If the Cardinals were going to trade Goldschmidt they would have done it at the trade deadline. They were known sellers way in advance of the deadline and could have easily found a buyer. He lost a lot of trade value going from 1.5 yr (2 postseasons) to 1 yr remaining on his deal. They were only shopping players on expiring contracts because they wanted to reload this year. 

Also Goldschmidt's numbers took a dive last season compared to his typical prime seasons. Maybe it was just a down year, but there's a chance he's not a true MOO bat at this point. The Orioles offense is good, but they don't have someone like a prime Eddie Murray or Frank Robinson.

Yes, one of the younger players might develop into one, but it would be nice to get an established slugger right now. Goldschmidt might be able to fill that void, but I agree with you on him not being available.

What would it realistically take to get Cease AND Luis Robert in a package from the White Sox. We have the prospects to do it- just curious what it may take. I ask because the Callis proposal of Mullins for Burnes leaves a gaping hole in CF. But if we did that, and then turned around and got Cease and Robert. Now our Rotation is the best in baseball and we've filled the hole left by Mullins. 

1 hour ago, terpoh said:

What would it realistically take to get Cease AND Luis Robert in a package from the White Sox. We have the prospects to do it- just curious what it may take. I ask because the Callis proposal of Mullins for Burnes leaves a gaping hole in CF. But if we did that, and then turned around and got Cease and Robert. Now our Rotation is the best in baseball and we've filled the hole left by Mullins. 

Talent wise I probably prefer Luis Robert over Cease, but his health concerns scare me. Robert is an all star caliber CF, but last year was the first full season he's played. 

Plus I think Cedric Mullins has the most trade value of any Orioles outfielder, but the Orioles can't trade him without having a viable replacement in CF. It's going to depend on if the White Sox play hardball in trade negotiations.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Talent wise I probably prefer Luis Robert over Cease, but his health concerns scare me. Robert is an all star caliber CF, but last year was the first full season he's played. 

Plus I think Cedric Mullins has the most trade value of any Orioles outfielder, but the Orioles can't trade him without having a viable replacement in CF. It's going to depend on if the White Sox play hardball in trade negotiations.

He played 93% of games in 2020.

On 10/21/2023 at 4:28 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Based on how he was used, I can see Wells being the closer this coming season if he doesn’t make the rotation. I still think 4/5s of our rotation is set with Grayson, Bradish, Means, and Kremer. 

On 10/23/2023 at 5:39 PM, terpoh said:

Adter trading Mullins for Burnes in this hypothetical...

Would something like Cowser, Kremer, Ortiz, Norby, McDermott get us Robert and Cease? Id probably swap Bradfield out for any one of those guys if Chicago wanted. 

35 minutes ago, Dunk35 said:

Adter trading Mullins for Burnes in this hypothetical...

Would something like Cowser, Kremer, Ortiz, Norby, McDermott get us Robert and Cease? Id probably swap Bradfield out for any one of those guys if Chicago wanted. 

I'd much rather have six years of McDermott than two of Cease. I may not make a 1-for-1 trade there with his potential.

7 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I'd much rather have six years of McDermott than two of Cease. I may not make a 1-for-1 trade there with his potential.

You are a lot more confident in McDermott than I am.  I have hopes for him, but he’s far from a can’t miss prospect.  

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You are a lot more confident in McDermott than I am.  I have hopes for him, but he’s far from a can’t miss prospect.  

No doubt. I like his potential and think he could be a solid starter for us. Heard an interview on MLB Network and was impressed by his comments and even more by the comments from the people talking about his stuff and improvement and chances to be really good.