FA Starters that fit Elias' pattern

wildcard

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Houston is a huge market that can support a huge payroll.  Baltimore is not.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Houston is a huge market that can support a huge payroll.  Baltimore is not.

The Os have supported a big enough payroll recently..in multiple years. So this is bs.

5 hours ago, interloper said:

When you're right, you're right. Not only is it not Elias' plan to improve through spending big, he's been tasked to not do that by ownership. Fortunately for us, Elias and team know how to actually improve a team without spending much. It's a shame he can't do his thing AND spend, but it is what it is. 

I hope Elias doesn't tire of ownership restrictions before the O's get new ownership.  At some point it's going to cross his mind that "how much more could I do with an extra $100 million or even $50 million per year".

On 11/7/2023 at 3:16 AM, maybenxtyr said:

Honestly, I'd rather resign Gibson than either of those 4 names.

If only Wacha could go 30 starts. As a side note he’s within half a war from Cease and won’t cost 3 good prospects.

With that said , Lugo wasn’t as starter before this past season and went 146 innings. So no reason to think he can’t give you 160

10 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I hope Elias doesn't tire of ownership restrictions before the O's get new ownership.  At some point it's going to cross his mind that "how much more could I do with an extra $100 million or even $50 million per year".

Do we have direct confirmation that this is actually happening, ie. ownership limiting spending? I know the general feeling is that this is happening, but has it been proven? To me this is the perfect marriage of Elias being fiscally conservative, especially in the time period/status of the organization/rebuild and Angelos being willing to be cheap. But the sheer numbers suggest that they could increase payroll pretty significantly and still make a nice profit.

I guess what I am saying is that I don’t buy it. I think the lack of spending to this point is more Elias than ownership. But that would mean that there are meaningful dollars spent this off-season due to the progress and current state of the team. So I think my theory will be proven one way or the other in the coming months.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SpOkane said:

I do believe there is a pattern emerging for signing FA starters. 2022 Jordan Lyles. 2023 Kyle Gibson. 2024? Luis Severino.

I still think Quintana is the best fit out there. He fits the ballpark, the rotation needs, the salary available, and the Mets are a good trade match. Norby : Quintana 1-1 swap?  I like the idea of him neutralizing lefty batters, or clubs benching LHH when he starts. Then RHH have to hit ground balls to our good defenders SS/3B. Botchy saw the value in this and started Heaney. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I still think Quintana is the best fit out there. He fits the ballpark, the rotation needs, the salary available, and the Mets are a good trade match. Norby : Quintana 1-1 swap?  I like the idea of him neutralizing lefty batters, or clubs benching LHH when he starts. Then RHH have to hit ground balls to our good defenders SS/3B. Botchy saw the value in this and started Heaney. 

Not a bad idea but the Mets probably are more interested in a true OF prospect.  They have #2 prospect Ronny Mauricio at 2B.  Of course, if they view Norby as a viable LF it might work.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

Do we have direct confirmation that this is actually happening, ie. ownership limiting spending? I know the general feeling is that this is happening, but has it been proven? To me this is the perfect marriage of Elias being fiscally conservative, especially in the time period/status of the organization/rebuild and Angelos being willing to be cheap. But the sheer numbers suggest that they could increase payroll pretty significantly and still make a nice profit.

I guess what I am saying is that I don’t buy it. I think the lack of spending to this point is more Elias than ownership. But that would mean that there are meaningful dollars spent this off-season due to the progress and current state of the team. So I think my theory will be proven one way or the other in the coming months.

Of course we don't have proof.  What we do have is ownership publicly crying poor on a pretty regular basis.

If you look at the numbers we do have, it's pretty clear that prices won't have to be raised significantly in order to extend the young talent.  Not unless ownership is unwilling to reduce their profits.

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

My guess is Elias gets a substantial bonus for keep payroll low.   It probably makes him one of he highest paid GM in the MLB.   It was all part of the plan from when he was hired IMO.