MLBTR - O's speculation

btdart20

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Cody Bellinger, 12 years, $264 million.  This guy was non tendered by the Dodgers last year.  It seems like a sane contract would be around 5 years.  I'm sure their guess is better than mine.

I saw that too.  12 years for a guy that OPS'd .582 and .654 the two previous years.  That will make the Crush Davis contract look like a bargain.  

I wanted Stroman a few years ago. He would be a decent addition.  

Statcast doesn’t like him and the IP are way down the last few years.

Not sure I’m keen on 22M a year but a 2 year deal for him makes some sense.

He has some red flags that I don’t really love at this point in his career but would rather overpay for him for 2 years than sign A Gibson/Lyles clone.

Edited by Sports Guy

12 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

It's going to be a long winter in Birdland regardless, but it's going to be an even longer colder winter if some of those contract predictions are accurate.

Gibson and a couple of minor BP pieces and that's that.

Gibson and a couple of minor BP arms.. can’t wait to miss the playoffs 

7 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Gibson and a couple of minor BP arms.. can’t wait to miss the playoffs 

What about our young players improving to prevent regression?  Plus, we add Jackson Holliday this year.

Stuff can happen. I see that point. Elias’ issues last year was the trade deadline. He bought Flaherty and Fuji, instead of Montgomery/Ed Rod and a RP. Even a guy like Adam Ottavino would’ve been better than Fuji. We just didn’t want to pay that salary. 

I really think we can sign a top RHRP and trade for a strong LHSP and be done with the off-season. (As far as anything truly meaningful.) I am the most uncomfortable with the righthanded options in the pen of anything on the team. The rotation needs another lefty, or why did  you push back the wall?!

Give me Stephenson and then a trade for Skubal or Lucchesi (or Luzardo, but that is very unlikely... even though the Marlins really need some offense). We have a lot of pieces in the minors that are ranked on the '23 column in roster resource that we could deal: Ortiz, Haskin, Brnovitch, Baumler, Trimble, Wagner, Horvath, Stowers. Clearly one of those things is not like the others. Ortiz has significant value and the rest are all upside with less proven value. I wonder if any combination of those names would get you either Skubal or Lucchesi? I wouldn't mind adding Norby, Povich, or McDermott type as needed. Maybe Ortiz, Povich, Haskin, and Baumler for Skubal?

7 minutes ago, Orange said:

I really think we can sign a top RHRP and trade for a strong LHSP and be done with the off-season. (As far as anything truly meaningful.) I am the most uncomfortable with the righthanded options in the pen of anything on the team. The rotation needs another lefty, or why did  you push back the wall?!

Give me Stephenson and then a trade for Skubal or Lucchesi (or Luzardo, but that is very unlikely... even though the Marlins really need some offense). We have a lot of pieces in the minors that are ranked on the '23 column in roster resource that we could deal: Ortiz, Haskin, Brnovitch, Baumler, Trimble, Wagner, Horvath, Stowers. Clearly one of those things is not like the others. Ortiz has significant value and the rest are all upside with less proven value. I wonder if any combination of those names would get you either Skubal or Lucchesi? I wouldn't mind adding Norby, Povich, or McDermott type as needed. Maybe Ortiz, Povich, Haskin, and Baumler for Skubal?

Skubal would be a great get but I think DET is "going for it" and doubt they trade him.  The Central is perennially weak.  They recently traded for Canha.  Tork's 2nd half was pretty strong (19 HR, .238/.318/.498/.816, .260 ISO, 121 wRC+).  Carpenter has a strong 2nd half too (12 HR, .287/.353/.464/.817, .177 ISO, 124 wRC+).  Greene looked strong in the 1st half and got hurt.   Colt Keith and Jace Jung are knocking.  Does Austin Meadows contribute anything?  

We already have a ton of CWS speculation going on here, but GM Getz sounds motivated.  I'm not quoting it below, but he also speaks of infrastructural changes too.  Sounds a bit like Elias coming in.

Chris Getz on his White Sox: ‘I don’t like our team’ (audacy.com)

Chris Getz to focus on White Sox team identity in 2024 (mlb.com)

“We’ve got a talented group, there’s no question,” Getz said. “I don’t like our team. And we’ve got to make some adjustments so we improve for 2024.”

“When I say I don’t like our team, we’ve got pieces that are talented and are attractive, and they can be part of a winning club,” Getz said. “But obviously, we haven’t been able to go out there and perform. It’s not a well-rounded club right now. So we’ve got find players to come in here to help get us in the right direction. And if that means that we use some of the players we have on our club to multiply and not only help us in the near term but also in the long term as well, (we’ll do it). It’s going to take time this offseason to build out this roster.”

• Upvote 1