Brandon Hyde deal- mostly unknown

tntoriole

In light of Craig Counsell’s 5 year 40 million deal with Cubs and Joe Jiminez 3 year 26 million deal with Braves as noted in Athletic article today. 

It led me to wonder as to Brandon Hyde’s deal.. incentives for this kind of 2023 performance? A new and improved deal? Where does he fit on the ML manager payscale. 

Maybe others know more but Angelos has not said nor has Elias or Hyde except the vague interview back in March.

Brandon should be in upper tier going forward imho. 

A lot of companies don’t talk about their human resources issues and their employment contracts,” Angelos said. “I’m here for the long haul. Mike is here for the long haul. Brandon is here for the long haul. We are all fully vested. We’re not going anywhere and nobody’s a short timer. Nobody is expiring in a year or two years or anything like that … It’s just not great policy for me to talk about people’s personal relationships. We’re all here under contract long-term.”

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2023/02/19/john-angelos-says-orioles-arent-sale-lease-extension-payroll-elias-hyde-contracts/

25 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

In light of Craig Counsell’s 5 year 40 million deal with Cubs and Joe Jiminez 3 year 26 million deal with Braves as noted in Athletic article today. 

It led me to wonder as to Brandon Hyde’s deal.. incentives for this kind of 2023 performance? A new and improved deal? Where does he fit on the ML manager payscale. 

Maybe others know more but Angelos has not said nor has Elias or Hyde except the vague interview back in March.

Brandon should be in upper tier going forward imho. 

A lot of companies don’t talk about their human resources issues and their employment contracts,” Angelos said. “I’m here for the long haul. Mike is here for the long haul. Brandon is here for the long haul. We are all fully vested. We’re not going anywhere and nobody’s a short timer. Nobody is expiring in a year or two years or anything like that … It’s just not great policy for me to talk about people’s personal relationships. We’re all here under contract long-term.”

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2023/02/19/john-angelos-says-orioles-arent-sale-lease-extension-payroll-elias-hyde-contracts/

I'm good with Elias, Hyde and Holt being here long term but Angelos can leave any time. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I obviously have no evidence of this but I believe Elias contract may be incentive based. Where he is getting paid off of profit margins after a certain 3-5 million$ base pay. This is what shrewd business owners practice. Keep payroll down and profits high. 

It's likely he has incentives but IMO extremely unlikely they are based on profit-it is much more likely based on revenue.  He has little control over the variable that go into OI, and he's smart enough to not trust JA.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

So we don't even know how many years that Hyde is signed for.  This is just bizarre. 

A lot of sports franchises don't make available the terms for management some for coaches/managers.  Hyde signed an initial three year deal through '21 and it appears that a option for '22 was exercised.  I think it is safe to assume he then signed another three year extention through 2025.  I also think it is safe to assume that the length of Elias's contract is similar.

Edited by SemperFi

29 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I obviously have no evidence of this but I believe Elias contract may be incentive based. Where he is getting paid off of profit margins after a certain 3-5 million$ base pay. This is what shrewd business owners practice. Keep payroll down and profits high. 

I would hope Elias is getting paid incentives based on how much the O's win and playoff appearances.  The goal of most MLB organizations is to make the playoffs and hopefully win the World Series, not just turn a big profit.  If Elias made a million or two bonus for getting the O's to the playoffs, it was richly deserved.

I'm completely comfortable not knowing Hyde's contract length and Ellias' contract length, too.  

Less handwringing for everyone around here.  "OMG, Hyde's contract is up at the end of this year, MANAGER CANDIDATES???!?!?!??!?!"

"Elias' contract is up at the end of the year, WHAT ARE THEY DOING TO RETAIN HIM?!?!?!"

"Who are the top GM candidates for us if Elias leaves???????"

Can you imagine the amount of wildcard threads about these two?  No thanks.

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would hope Elias is getting paid incentives based on how much the O's win and playoff appearances.  The goal of most MLB organizations is to make the playoffs and hopefully win the World Series, not just turn a big profit.  If Elias made a million or two bonus for getting the O's to the playoffs, it was richly deserved.

I would hope Elias is getting paid a predetermined amount for doing his job.

I'm more of a fan of guaranteed base pay than I am a bonus structure.

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Those are pretty much "boilerplate" in GM level contracts, I am also pretty sure he has a nice incentive for getting Executive of the Year.  In my experience though the incentives we are discussing are very small relative to salary.

Edited by SemperFi

Apparently a major change as to the uniform contract structure just in the last week  .. so different contracts will be even less comparable in some ways 

“MLB's commissioner's office had previously dictated the language in each contract. Now, teams will be responsible for supplying that portion of their pacts. As such, it's possible that the language and conditions of the "standard" contract varies on a team-by-team basis -- a change that could, in theory, make some clubs more or less worker-friendly, depending on their goals.

It's too early to know if and how teams will wield this new freedom.”

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-makes-change-that-gives-teams-more-freedom-with-employee-contracts-how-they-use-it-remains-to-be-seen/amp/

I could argue that it’s good if the manager’s contract length isn’t public.  It prevents the kind of speculation you get when everyone knows the manager is in the last year of his deal.  

It’s been an interesting offseason with two teams hiring other teams’ managers while they hadn’t been fired by the prior team.  I’m not concerned about Hyde getting poached at this stage, however.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I could argue that it’s good if the manager’s contract length isn’t public.  It prevents the kind of speculation you get when everyone knows the manager is in the last year of his deal.  

It’s been an interesting offseason with two teams hiring other teams’ managers while they hadn’t been fired by the prior team.  I’m not concerned about Hyde getting poached at this stage, however.  

Counsell has made some public statements about wanting to move the bar in general for future manager salaries, along with the thousand other reasons he may have wanted to change positions.   As a prior MLBPA rep as a player, he was apparently pretty active in that regard.