2023 Orioles #8 Prospect Dylan Beavers - OF

Tony-OH

21 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

BTW, where do I find these #X Prospect threads?  I've searched for various prospects and cannot find them that way.  Odd.  

Start here, and there are links in the OP: 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, waroriole said:

Is he? I guess if those 2B start turning into HR. He has potential but he hasn’t realized it yet. 

I think he's a very good prospect and that he would be getting a lot more buzz if he was not in such a stacked farm system.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think the key word here is almost.  Beavers has not played at AAA yet.  And in his 34 games at AA he did not hit for power.   That is something is going to have to do to reach the majors.

I was quite intentional in my choice of words. 

And I think the power will show up this year.

• 4 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Did you watch the podcast that was posted on the minor forum of the Os top 15? While it was obviously speculative regarding all these guys, they definitely raised red flags about his ability to hit velocity. Hopefully he will appease those fears this year.

4 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Did you watch the podcast that was posted on the minor forum of the Os top 15? While it was obviously speculative regarding all these guys, they definitely raised red flags about his ability to hit velocity. Hopefully he will appease those fears this year.

No I didn’t see that. Like every prospect, he has his pros and cons..how he develops and improves is going to be largely up to the work he is willing to put in. I have seen some videos of him this offseason working on things in a cage.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No I didn’t see that. Like every prospect, he has his pros and cons..how he develops and improves is going to be largely up to the work he is willing to put in. I have seen some videos of him this offseason working on things in a cage.

It was a 2 hour podcast but I thought it was quite good and well worth the time. Even better analysis of the pitchers than the hitters IMO, really liked the breakdown of McDermott.

The concern raised with Beavers was that his mechanics are going to cause him to struggle hitting velocity and with pulling the ball on inside pitches. He apparently hit .220 on fastballs over 93 mph, and the average MLB fastball now is nearly 94 mph. His great results were driven by success on a lot of balls not hit with a lot of authority - big gap between wOBA and xwOBA.

The flip side is that his hit tool is incredible to get the results he did with his mechanics. Ceiling is extremely high. But the concern was a lot of his late season success came from reverting back to what he was comfortable with rather than changing mechanics, and if he doesn’t change his mechanics he’s going to get exposed by AAA/MLB velo. 

In any case Beavers is a super interesting prospect. Really wide range of outcomes for what he could become and will be very interested in seeing what kinds of offseason adjustments he makes. Even though his results were overall great he didn’t hit for much power so I’m sure he feels he still needs to make some changes.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Didn’t that Eric guy post here a while back? Is he a pretty credible scout?

I’m not sure there is anyone less credible.

I give him a lot of credit for the hustle and the videos. But he thinks every Os prospect is the next Mantle. He is incredibly biased. Even if he ends up right, it’s like well if all you say every time that a player is going to be good, you are bound to hit some. It’s just the law of averages.

He has a reputation on twitter as someone who blocks you if you question what he says. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not sure there is anyone less credible.

I give him a lot of credit for the hustle and the videos. But he thinks every Os prospect is the next Mantle. He is incredibly biased. Even if he ends up right, it’s like well if all you say every time that a player is going to be good, you are bound to hit some. It’s just the law of averages.

He has a reputation on twitter as someone who blocks you if you question what he says. 

Ok, so he’s just a fan. I wasn’t sure, thanks. 

11 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Ok, so he’s just a fan. I wasn’t sure, thanks. 

Tony mentioned that he did some work for him in the past. He may know more than “just a fan”. He may be able to see something that most fans can’t pick up on. 

But it’s so difficult to weed through the bias that it’s hard to take him seriously, even if he has a good observation. 

Like I said, I respect the hustle. He does a good job posting videos. He deserves credit for that type of thing. But he’s not a credible scout.