Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

From Roch's update this AM:

Trade talks at the Winter Meetings didn’t land a starter, but Elias isn’t treating his farm system like it belongs at a rummage sale.

Asked if there’s a prospect he wouldn’t trade, Elias said, “I can think of at least one.” That would be Holliday, of course, the most untouchable of the group.

One executive from another team sensed that outfielders Colton Cowser and Heston Kjerstad, third baseman Coby Mayo and catcher Samuel Basallo weren't on the table. Perhaps only with his team, maybe more across the board. He could speak only of his experience.

Basallo has risen to No. 2 prospect status in the organization, per Baseball America, followed by Mayo, Cowser and Kjerstad.

Elias sees talent that can help at the major league level. He doesn’t see a logjam.

On 12/5/2023 at 10:44 PM, Frobby said:

Rumors of a Woo for Paredes deal make it pretty clear that Santander or Mountcastle wouldn’t be nearly enough.  

On 12/5/2023 at 10:52 PM, Sports Guy said:

Correct…never said Santander would work. Just that I was hoping they would want established guys over the prospects..which seems to be accurate.

That's outstanding contexting...

6 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Trade talks at the Winter Meetings didn’t land a starter, but Elias isn’t treating his farm system like it belongs at a rummage sale.

Asked if there’s a prospect he wouldn’t trade, Elias said, “I can think of at least one.” That would be Holliday, of course, the most untouchable of the group.

One executive from another team sensed that outfielders Colton Cowser and Heston Kjerstad, third baseman Coby Mayo and catcher Samuel Basallo weren't on the table. Perhaps only with his team, maybe more across the board. He could speak only of his experience.

Basallo has risen to No. 2 prospect status in the organization, per Baseball America, followed by Mayo, Cowser and Kjerstad.

Elias sees talent that can help at the major league level. He doesn’t see a logjam.

This honestly wouldn’t be surprising.

Not only are all of these guys upper echelon prospects, they also have room for all of them.

Now, the balance is what can you get for them but it wouldn’t surprise me if the Os we’re leaving these guys out and perhaps trying to trade a package of guys that has some ML talent and some minor league talent.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Being willing to trade Colton Cowser does not mean you are treating your farm system as a rummage sale.

That's nonsense.

Five untouchables means you aren't really willing to trade for a difference maker.

Or it means they don’t view what’s out there as difference making talent.  Or maybe the team they talked to doesn’t have the difference maker that would cause the Os to trade one of them.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Interesting. I agree with everyone except Cowser. At some point you have to concede that there are only 3 OF spots, and personally I am lowest on Colton.

1 minute ago, ChicagoTerp said:

Interesting. I agree with everyone except Cowser. At some point you have to concede that there are only 3 OF spots, and personally I am lowest on Colton.

Yes, three spots..Colton and Heston are only 2 people…and Heston will play a lot of DH it sounds like.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Or it means they don’t view what’s out there as difference making talent.  Or maybe the team they talked to doesn’t have the difference maker that would cause the Os to trade one of them.

You can't expect to get quality without giving quality back.

Unless you are a rando on a message board....

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Being willing to trade Colton Cowser does not mean you are treating your farm system as a rummage sale.

That's nonsense.

Five untouchables means you aren't really willing to trade for a difference maker.

Well it would depend on who he’s trading for from the source of that blurb. As much as I’d like to have Burnes or Cease. I can’t see one of the guys mentioned for limited control. I’d trade Cowser but Elias must be much higher than anyone here. The rummage sale comment is interesting. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You can't expect to get quality without giving quality back.

Unless you are a rando on a message board....

Obviously but that doesn’t really address the point I made and it’s not like the Os still can’t trade quality.

If you trade a 3-4 player package where the other team gets one of Westburg/Ortiz, Beavers, Norby/Povich and one of Mounty/Hays…that’s a strong package.

Is that getting you Dylan Cease?  maybe, Maybe not. Judging by that Reds package, that deal is better than that. 

Does that get you Luzardo?  Maybe…I could see them do it and could see the Marlins say no.

Maybe the Os would rather get a guy like ECab, someone who has shown flashes but they think they can get way more for him and maybe you get that guy without trading your top 5.

The bottom line is that the Os can easily put together very good packages without trading from their top 5. We have prospects in the mid to late teens(and probably into the 20s) that are easily top 10 guys in most organizations.  

1 minute ago, ChicagoTerp said:

I could have sworn we had some other OFers on the roster but I guess I'm mistaken.

Yes …but it’s been rumored they want to move Santander and Hays as they are getting expensive and nearing free agency. There were rumors that there is interest in our MLB players. I’d assume those name are McCann, Santander, Hays, Mateo, Mountcastle, O’Hearn and Urias. As I doubt a GM would be stupid enough to call about Gunnar, Adley, Bradish, Grayson etc