Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Cowser’s minor league numbers

Then you need reading glasses.  In what amounts to a full ML season between AA and AAA he had 35 doubles and 32 homers.  How anyone can take those numbers and figure he’s a 10-15 homer guy is beyond me.   

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Then you need reading glasses.  In what amounts to a full ML season between AA and AAA he had 35 doubles and 32 homers.  How anyone can take those numbers and figure he’s a 10-15 homer guy is beyond me.   

Strikeouts. If he strikes out in 1/3 of his ABs in the minor leagues, to me that means he's doing his damage on guys that don't feature great stuff or command. Now put that same guy in the majors, he's going to strike out that same 1/3 of ABs, but there's way less guys that don't feature great stuff and command, so he'll have less to feast on. 

That's how I see it anyway. I'm sure it's a flawed perspective, but like I said, he's a guy where I'm just gonna have to see it for myself before I believe he can perform like he did in AAA, because of the strikeouts.

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Strikeouts. If he strikes out in 1/3 of his ABs in the minor leagues, to me that means he's doing his damage on guys that don't feature great stuff or command. Now put that same guy in the majors, he's going to strike out that same 1/3 of ABs, but there's way less guys that don't feature great stuff and command, so he'll have less to feast on. 

That's how I see it anyway. I'm sure it's a flawed perspective, but like I said, he's a guy where I'm just gonna have to see it for myself before I believe he can perform like he did in AAA, because of the strikeouts.

The strikeouts are a red flag no doubt BUT if he hits well enough to play regularly he’s going to hit more than 10-15 home runs.    I don’t think it’s a question of him having power or not.  It’s a question of him hitting enough to get 500-600 AB’s.    If he gets a full season of AB’s the home runs will be there.    Same thing with Westburg to a lesser extent.  If he gets 500-600 AB’s I believe he’ll be around 20 homers and eventually more.   The minor league numbers are no guarantee of success but we can’t ignore them either.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

So he has 22 homers over two seasons and 525 ABs at AAA.

Edited by Roll Tide

James McCann said the other day when he was coming up the Tigers system Al Kaline told him 1500 minors and 1500 majors plate appearances to discover who you are.

Of course Al played in the reserve clause days.     Kaline and McCann seem pretty far apart on my sense of baseball time, so I thought it was cool their paths crossed.

So, what are the Reds up to?  They have an overload of young infielders like we do and just signed Jeimer Candelaria, primarily a 3B, to a 3/45 contract.  They are said to be in on Cease.   If the plan is to play Candelaria primarily at 1B, then maybe it doesn’t mean much BUT if he’s the 3B, that makes Noelvi Marte a trade piece along with Jonathan India.  Gotta figure Elly De La Cruz would play SS and Matt McLain at 2B.  The Reds also have 2023 drafte and RHP Rhett Lowder to dangle.   Are the Reds setting up a trade for Cease?

I’d love to know what the Indians are asking in return for Bieber.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

So, what are the Reds up to?  They have an overload of young infielders like we do and just signed Jeimer Candelaria, primarily a 3B, to a 3/45 contract.  They are said to be in on Cease.   If the plan is to play Candelaria primarily at 1B, then maybe it doesn’t mean much BUT if he’s the 3B, that makes Noelvi Marte a trade piece along with Jonathan India.  Gotta figure Elly De La Cruz would play SS and Matt McLain at 2B.  The Reds also have 2023 drafte and RHP Rhett Lowder to dangle.   Are the Reds setting up a trade for Cease?

I’d love to know what the Indians are asking in return for Bieber.

I've seen it reported that they've been in on both Cease and Glasnow. I agree with you that India and Marte are the two most likely pieces moved unless they decide to try India in the OF and trade an OFer (unlikely but their manager mentioned trying him in the OF the other day).

49 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

Guessing the Orioles have shared medical info with the WS, CL, etc. 

Wonder if ERod talked with the O’s and why $20m per year was his ceiling (before incentives)? I see a Means extension likely a better alternative, if healthy

Unlikely unless a deal has been agreed to.

52 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

Guessing the Orioles have shared medical info with the WS, CL, etc. 

Wonder if ERod talked with the O’s and why $20m per year was his ceiling (before incentives)? I see a Means extension likely a better alternative, if healthy

No chance they risk an extension with Means IMO.