Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

15 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I want Sports Guy to go roast the Chicago White Sox board because they didnt do much more than Ortiz and DL Hall.

🤣😂🤙🏼🤣

cant wait to hear how they spin it to be a massive haul. They got less than Povich++ when they wanted Basallo +++. I’m not sure if I prefer those fans having a total meltdown or them being so naive to think they won. I’m happy either way because I never wanted Cease on the Os. 
you could talk me into a 1 year 30mm snell deal though. I believe I said the same last year for Verlander. 

Zavala is a really good looking prospect. He had 89 walks and a .420 OBP in his age 18 season in full season A Ball. 14HR. Can play CF. He doesn’t turn 20 till 7/4/24. 

The Padres have a really good farm system. Preller catches flack, but they have some talent. I hope the O’s can really get their int’l signings going. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Zavala is a really good looking prospect. He had 89 walks and a .420 OBP in his age 18 season in full season A Ball. 14HR. Can play CF. He doesn’t turn 20 till 7/4/24. 

The Padres have a really good farm system. Preller catches flack, but they have some talent. I hope the O’s can really get their int’l signings going. 

I think they've made great strides under Elias.   That new facility in the DR isn't going to hurt, either.

Many in the WS forum still thinks Cease is one of the best pitcher in MLB and did not get enough for him.  Many in the Padres forum thinks the trade was sever overpay.  This alone makes the trade close to even.  😄

2 minutes ago, Rustbelt said:

Many in the WS forum still thinks Cease is one of the best pitcher in MLB and did not get enough for him.  Many in the Padres forum thinks the trade was sever overpay.  This alone makes the trade close to even.  😄

I too think it's a fair trade. White Sox fans were always delusional about Cease's value. 

14 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I too think it's a fair trade. White Sox fans were always delusional about Cease's value. 

They were but so were Os fans.

This trade isn’t really that different than Kjerstad, Norby and Beavers and plenty here would have felt that was an overpay.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This trade isn’t really that different than Kjerstad, Norby and Beavers and plenty here would have felt that was an overpay.

Totally agree.  All fan bases will be like that.  Cease really is a difficult player to rate as well. 

It is obvious that the White Sox wanted pitching heavy returns from the beginning with what they asked from the Reds.  

2 minutes ago, Rustbelt said:

Totally agree.  All fan bases will be like that.  Cease really is a difficult player to rate as well. 

It is obvious that the White Sox wanted pitching heavy returns from the beginning with what they asked from the Reds.  

That’s certainly possible.  It’s also possible that LA, Cinci and SD were only willing to offer a certain level of pitching prospect for their headliner and that’s just how it worked out.

Doesnt mean a position player laden package from us wouldn’t have worked.

That said, it does seem likely that they valued pitching over hitting which doesn’t make a lot of sense to me but it is what it is. 

I personally would rather have kept McDermott and wouldn’t be surprised at all if he ends up a better ML pitcher that Thorpe.

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Really? You think what the Padres gave up is equivalent to those three in value? 

One thing interesting that WS board continued to bring up is the age of certain prospects.  I certainly understand that 23 year old will be rated higher than 25 year old.  However,  WS normally trade away players before their hitting free agency.  Those 2 years may not make any difference if they become competent major leaguers by 28 year olds.  

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Really? You think what the Padres gave up is equivalent to those three in value? 

Absolutely. Thorpe is similar to Kjerstad. HK is probably rated higher by most but once you get into that 40-80 range, there isn’t much separation and HK is older. 

The other 2 players (not the ML reliever) are high upside guys and Zavala has more upside than probably anyone named in either trade (although likely a bigger risk profile than HK).

So yea, it’s similar. The best talent is a further away high risk/high reward guy and the other 2 are close to ML ready. 

Edited by Sports Guy