Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Pretty clearly he's said that.

He's said HE might be eating crow because it's possible that Povich will be traded after all.

Not for Cease, but another deal with another team.

To be clear, he clarified that after the fact. He should have been clear about it in his first post  especially considering how over the top he was about it weeks ago.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

To be clear, he clarified that after the fact. He should have been clear about it in his first post  especially considering how over the top he was about it weeks ago.

I've felt this way for decades, but I've never understood why people get so worked up, one way or another, when it comes to "insider information."

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I've felt this way for decades, but I've never understood why people get so worked up, one way or another, when it comes to "insider information."

I don’t think anyone is upset by inside info. No one is saying he’s lying or full of poop. He’s the one who came on here and told everyone they were wrong because Povich was told he’s untouchable and we would all eat crow. 

All anyone said was that no way his camp was actually told that. We don’t doubt that he knows people, just that the message wasn’t likely communicated to him correctly.

He is the one who got all up in arms about it.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think anyone is upset by inside info. No one is saying he’s lying or full of poop. He’s the one who came on here and told everyone they were wrong because Povich was told he’s untouchable and we would all eat crow. 

All anyone said was that no way his camp was actually told that. We don’t doubt that he knows people, just that the message wasn’t likely communicated to him correctly.

He is the one who got all up in arms about it.

LOL.  The bolded is essentially calling him a liar and saying he's full of poop.  Not that I have any desire to get in the middle of you two going at it.

Now that he's clarified a bit, I actually think it is possible the O's brass told Povich the White Sox were trying to get him and they weren't going to give in to that.  So telling him, "You'll not going to be traded."  I don't believe that. Telling him, "There's this specific deal in which you're a target but we aren't going to do it."  Yeah, I can believe that.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Pickles said:

LOL.  The bolded is essentially calling him a liar and saying he's full of poop.  Not that I have any desire to get in the middle of you two going at it.

Now that he's clarified a bit, I actually think it is possible the O's brass told Povich the White Sox were trying to get him and they weren't going to give in to that.  So telling him, "You'll not going to be traded."  I don't believe that. Telling him, "There's this specific deal in which you're a target but we aren't going to do it."  Yeah, I can believe that.

My question is, why tell Povich anything?  I could see maybe giving this courtesy to some long-time major league player, but why would a team share this information with a prospect, even a good prospect?   It seems to me it can only lead to bad things and has no upside.  So, that’s why I’m skeptical.   Plus, the Elias regime has been quite leak-proof to date, and that’s not the way a leak-proof organization operates.  Having said all that, I’m not sure why HuskerFan would come here and just make stuff up out of whole cloth, so there could be some “telephone tag” thing going on here where he’s hearing things third hand but the message has gotten garbled along the way.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, HuskerFan said:

You're not very smart for thinking a minor leaguer is involved in negotiations. 

Your posts haven’t been very clear at all.  So the Orioles are involved in trade discussions (sounds like Houston) and Povich might be part of the package being sent the other way.  Correct?

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

My question is, why tell Povich anything?  I could see maybe giving this courtesy to some long-time major league player, but why would a team share this information with a prospect, even a good prospect?   It seems to me it can only lead to bad things and has no upside.  So, that’s why I’m skeptical.   Plus, the Elias regime has been quite leak-proof to date, and that’s not the way a leak-proof organization operates.  Having said all that, I’m not sure why HuskerFan would come here and just make stuff up out of whole cloth, so there could be some “telephone tag” thing going on here where he’s hearing things third hand but the message has gotten garbled along the way.  

I agree.   I don't think anybody is lying, but it doesn't make a ton of sense.

What seems likeliest to me is that Povich was informed of the White Sox attempts to get him at the deadline, and told the O's were not interested in trading him for Cease.  I could see that being said.

Running with the notion, I think TBR Zach Eflin might also fit the criteria.

I am almost positive he will be Tyler Glasnow next winter (11-11-18 structure on his 3/40 a bright flag), but if they wanted to move earlier, I think Eflin is at peak value, and he offers the same 2 years of Club control as Cease and Framber.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Running with the notion, I think TBR Zach Eflin might also fit the criteria.

I am almost positive he will be Tyler Glasnow next winter (11-11-18 structure on his 3/40 a bright flag), but if they wanted to move earlier, I think Eflin is at peak value, and he offers the same 2 years of Club control as Cease and Framber.

I can't see TB and BAL being trading partners.  The downside of losing a trade badly is just too great for either team.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d argue that they way the offseason has shaken out so far has gone in our favor and made us less likely to make a Cease trade out of necessity. 

Ohtani - Dodgers

Yamamota - Dodgers 

Glasnow - Dodgers

Nola - Stayed with Philly

Soto - NYY

Chapman - doesn’t look like he’ll be back in Tor

Belligner - looks like Cubs

Stephenson - not going back to TB

There’s really only 4ish more stud pitchers to dodge. Montgomery, Snell, Imanaga, and Hader. 

Had these signings broke more to the AL East teams then we would be more leveraged to make a deal for Cease. 

IMO, this has been a dream scenario for O’s fans and Elias. 

Yeah! doing nothing has always been my dream.  I'm glad Elias and JA are on board.  😆

I certainly see no harm in sharing some rumors. I agree with the skepticism expressed with regards to whether this information would ever get to Povich’s camp. But as far as the rumor itself, it’s interesting and more than we’ve heard in weeks on this subject, so as long as it’s kept in the proper context, what’s the harm?

I also really like that this latest update is far more specific and will be verifiable before long. Originally saying Povich wasn’t going to be dealt always seemed like a strong likelihood anyway. Now saying Povich will in fact be included in a deal with a top MLB team is much more specific. @HuskerFan do you have any known timeframe on this potential deal? Thanks. 

17 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I agree.   I don't think anybody is lying, but it doesn't make a ton of sense.

What seems likeliest to me is that Povich was informed of the White Sox attempts to get him at the deadline, and told the O's were not interested in trading him for Cease.  I could see that being said.

Frequently MLB veterans are not informed before they are traded.  The most infamous one was that Met guy who found out he was being traded while playing a game and broke down.  I can't believe that Elias/the O's are keeping prospects up to date on whether they are being included in trade offers.