Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

What worries me is that Gibson ate a lot of innings and we still rode our bullpen hard. Cano was gassed after the ASB and was not the pitcher he was in 1st half. Baker fell apart. And of course Bautista pitched a lot and needed TJ. 

I just don’t like going into a season knowing that it is going to be a patchwork job some nights to get us through 9. That’s a lot of innings that the bullpen has to pitch. 

At one point in the first half… Bautista, Coloumbe, Cano, and Baker, were all in the top 10 for games pitched. Cano didn’t even start the season in the MLB.

All of that happened with virtually no IL stints for any pitcher on the MLB roster.  

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What worries me is that Gibson ate a lot of innings and we still rode our bullpen hard. Cano was gassed after the ASB and was not the pitcher he was in 1st half. Baker fell apart. And of course Bautista pitched a lot and needed TJ. 

I just don’t like going into a season knowing that it is going to be a patchwork job some nights to get us through 9. That’s a lot of innings that the bullpen has to pitch. 

At one point in the first half… Bautista, Coloumbe, Cano, and Baker, were all in the top 10 for games pitched. Cano didn’t even start the season in the MLB.

All of that happened with virtually no IL stints for any pitcher on the MLB roster.  

To be clear, our starters were 6th in MLB innings pitched.  We didn’t ride our bullpen all that hard relative to other teams.  These were definitely some bumpy moments.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree 

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

To be clear, our starters were 6th in MLB innings pitched.  We didn’t ride our bullpen all that hard relative to other teams.  These were definitely some bumpy moments.  

We just rode a few specific bullpen guys very hard. 

One report I saw was Basallo, Norby, Povich and Arias for Cease.    Do you do that deal?

When MLB.com announces their top 100 prospects will Norby be on the list?  If he is that would be two top 100 prospects and two other players which is what Getz has asked for.

Edited by wildcard

30 minutes ago, wildcard said:

One report I saw was Basallo, Norby, Povich and Arias for Cease.    Do you do that deal?

When MLB.com announces their top 100 prospects will Norby be on the list?  If he is that would be two top 100 prospects and two other players which is what Getz has asked for.

No.   The top 3 are untouchable in Cease discussions. 

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

They dumped the O'Day contract instead.

The most the O's were getting was 1 top 100 prospect.  I was just illustrating fans' view of player's worth depending on whether the O's are trading for the player or trading the player away.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2024/01/yankees-brass-in-tampa-for-summit-that-may-lead-to-blake-snell-signing-dylan-cease-trade.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=njsports_sf&utm_content=nj_twitter_njsports

It’s just so shocking that the Yanks won’t move Dominguez. Who could have guessed that?!?

And of course the WS can get more from us…but the more is likely not on the table.

Maybe they can get Spencer Jones but it doesn’t like the Yankees want to do it. Would they?  Maybe. I say a better chance of that than the Os moving Mayo or Basallo.

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

We just rode a few specific bullpen guys very hard. 

Correct.  We had 3 effective guys, the rest were all pretty bad.  We need bullpen upgrades more so than starters.  The Starters (barring injury) are likely to improve, the bullpen will be worse w/o Bautista.  Kimbrel was a good pick up, but I’d like to see at least one more difference making guy brought in.  

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2024/01/yankees-brass-in-tampa-for-summit-that-may-lead-to-blake-snell-signing-dylan-cease-trade.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=njsports_sf&utm_content=nj_twitter_njsports

It’s just so shocking that the Yanks won’t move Dominguez. Who could have guessed that?!?

And of course the WS can get more from us…but the more is likely not on the table.

Maybe they can get Spencer Jones but it doesn’t like the Yankees want to do it. Would they?  Maybe. I say a better chance of that than the Os moving Mayo or Basallo.

Spencer Jones has some upside BUT BA has him at #76 and he didn’t crack an .800 OPS at A+ or 17 games in AAA.   Some WS fans seem to think he’s a better prospect than Cowser or Kjerstad.   Heck, most places have those two and Ortiz all higher than Spencer.  Whatever.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don't know about you but I find that shocking. Are you sure that's correct?

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yankees have 7 top 100 prospects according to Baseball America, but none in the top 50.  It looks like Yankees are still holding back there 2 best prospects In Dominguez and Jones.  From what I see, the O's still have the best potential deal even holding back Holliday, Mayo and Basallo. 

https://elitesportsny.com/2023/08/11/these-7-yankees-prospects-made-baseball-america-top-100/