Naoyuki Uwasawa Offer Being Prepared?

Can_of_corn

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No one said it stops him from doing anything else. It’s just not necessary to make a move like this now. 

You aren’t hurting for depth. You only have so many roster spots available. 

The focus should be on the publicly stated goals and what this team truly needs.

The only way this move is defensible is they believe there is something about him that says high leverage reliever. Otherwise, if they made this move, it’s just not what this team needs or should be focusing on.

I don't think it's insane to add another backend arm that they have "identified" via their system that could cheaply supplement depth. You realize it's possible to do multiple things in one offseason right?

This "move" doesn't preclude him from successfully accomplishing his other stated goals.

I don't really understand the outrage at such a low leverage move. Very early in the offseason.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No one said it stops him from doing anything else. It’s just not necessary to make a move like this now. 

The focus should be on the publicly stated goals and what this team truly needs.

The only way this move is defensible is they believe there is something about him that says high leverage reliever. Otherwise, if they made this move, it’s just not what this team needs or should be focusing on.

Two-three million a year isn't high leverage money.  If he's a healthy version of Tate for that money it's a good move.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We don’t even know if this will happen, but there may be reasons why this timing has to be now-ish.  I’m not worried about what the O’s need to “focus” on, because they should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.   And obviously, if they do sign this guy, it’ll be because there’s something about him they like.  I’m not going to speculate - if we sign him, Elias will tell us why.

50 minutes ago, OrangeTurtle said:

I don't think it's insane to add another backend arm that they have "identified" via their system that could cheaply supplement depth. You realize it's possible to do multiple things in one offseason right?

This "move" doesn't preclude him from successfully accomplishing his other stated goals.

I don't really understand the outrage at such a low leverage move. Very early in the offseason.

There’s no outrage. It’s a discussion. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

This move goes completely against what Elias himself has said he is targeting and wants to do.  So, I’m taking him at his word that he recognizes what the team needs and this move is the complete opposite of what he has said.

Now, as I said before, maybe they feel he can be a high leverage reliever but nothing in his stat line seems to suggest that to be the case. Instead of trying the square peg round hole method, just go get a better player. 

This offseason shouldn’t be about dumpster diving at all. It should be about adding legit pieces, the exact pieces Elias has publicly stated we need to add.

Do you have a quote?  I’ve heard/read him say he is looking to add starting pitching  that could figure in to the top part of a rotation.  He’d also been quoted saying that the orioles cannot compete with the very top pitching in the market and those pitchers will come from in house.  

you can never have enough pitching.  If you have 9 good starters, they should add a 10th if possible.  If you have 10, you should be looking for your 11th. 

15 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Do you have a quote?  I’ve heard/read him say he is looking to add starting pitching  that could figure in to the top part of a rotation.  He’d also been quoted saying that the orioles cannot compete with the very top pitching in the market and those pitchers will come from in house.  

you can never have enough pitching.  If you have 9 good starters, they should add a 10th if possible.  If you have 10, you should be looking for your 11th. 

First of all, it’s a fallacy to say you can never have enough pitching.  That’s such a completely bs cliche.

The Orioles have had some of the worst pitching staffs in baseball history over the last 25 years…those staffs had plenty of pitchers. They just sucked.

Now, it is fair to say you can never have enough GOOD pitching but even that can be over the top if you have so much and are deficient in other areas and won’t use your surplus to get those pieces.

There is no team in baseball that can compete with the Os in the trade market and even if you take away the top 3 Os prospects, there are still very few, if any, teams that compete with them..at least amongst the teams that would sell off prospects.

In other words, I don’t want to hear any bs that we can’t compete in this market. There is more than 1 way to get what you need to get and the Os have lots of shiny toys teams are shopping for.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Two-three million a year isn't high leverage money.  If he's a healthy version of Tate for that money it's a good move.

Exactly. This reliever plus Tate, and Baker, would give us three middle relievers with options. Optionable 6th inning guys cost $2-$3 million on the market nowadays. This dude isn’t a savior or a TOR SP. He’s a guy that has value over 162. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all, it’s a fallacy to say you can never have enough pitching.  That’s such a completely bs cliche.

The Orioles have had some of the worst pitching staffs in baseball history over the last 25 years…those staffs had plenty of pitchers. They just sucked.

Now, it is fair to say you can never have enough GOOD pitching but even that can be over the top if you have so much and are deficient in other areas and won’t use your surplus to get those pieces.

There is no team in baseball that can compete with the Os in the trade market and even if you take away the top 3 Os prospects, there are still very few, if any, teams that compete with them..at least amongst the teams that would sell off prospects.

In other words, I don’t want to hear any bs that we can’t compete in this market. There is more than 1 way to get what you need to get and the Os have lots of shiny toys teams are shopping for.

lol Noted.

And the quote?

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

I thought it would mean exactly what he meant:

They were now entering the competitive period of the cycle.

Sure looked pretty competitive to me.

The great thing about phrases like "lift off" is that it can mean anything your natural bias wants it to mean.  If I got back all the time I've spent listening to politicians, sports figures, company spokespeople, and all the rest not answering the questions they were asked, I'd be fifteen years old again.

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

This move goes completely against what Elias himself has said he is targeting and wants to do

Elias has said they want a back and reliever preferably with closing experience and a top 3 starter. This has been talked about plenty on here. Are you really saying you haven’t seen that?  

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

This move goes completely against what Elias himself has said he is targeting and wants to do

Found it!

”I want a #1-3 starter and a late inning reliever preferably with some closing experience.   I won’t make any other moves or additions.”   

😇

Edited by RZNJ