Completely Off The Wall “Would You” Hypothetical

George Zuverink

Brewers Making Progress On Extension Talks With Top Prospect Jackson Chourio

This guy is rated just one notch under Holliday. He hasn’t turned 20 yet, seems to be open to an extension, and is considered a better than average CF. OH consensus seems to be Jackson  would not be open to an extension and that our IF talent glut is greater than OF. Milwaukee has an OF glut, but needs IF help. Would you trade Holiday, Kramer, and Norby even up for Courio and  Burnes?

5 minutes ago, George Zuverink said:

Brewers Making Progress On Extension Talks With Top Prospect Jackson Chourio

This guy is rated just one notch under Holliday. He hasn’t turned 20 yet, seems to be open to an extension, and is considered a better than average CF. OH consensus seems to be Jackson  would not be open to an extension and that our IF talent glut is greater than OF. Milwaukee has an OF glut, but needs IF help. Would you trade Holiday, Kramer, and Norby even up for Courio and  Burnes?

I very much disagree with the bolded above. I think the problem with extensions for any of our young guys is ownership, not the players.

Which means that we likely wouldn't extend Chourio either.

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I very much disagree with the bolded above. I think the problem with extensions for any of our young guys is ownership, not the players.

I think it's both ways. I agree that in most cases the Orioles are not seriously pursuing extensions with the young guys, but I do think it would be more difficult to get someone like Jackson Holliday to agree to one, particularly this early, given his father's career earnings are north of $150M so the money doesn't do as much for him and his family as it would a kid from Chourio who (admittedly did get a very nice signing bonus, but still). That said, I don't disagree with your assertion that the Orioles likely wouldn't extent Chourio at this point either. 

As to the question the OP posed: no, I don't make that deal. While our infield is more backed up than our OF, I don't think we have a need in the OF. We have Kjerstad and Cowser at the moment with Hays, Mullins and Santander still holding down spots. Norby could very well end up in the OF. And behind them are Beavers, Bradfield, etc. 

Now if it was a top end SP prospect in a similar situation in terms of levels, age, expectations as Chourio I'm more interested. 

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I understand. the reality that our ownership makes it unlikely anyone gets an extension, ever. I was referring to the additional issues of Holliday having Boras as an agent and coming from the background with money and a lifetime of exposure to the major league clubhouse. That makes it far less likely that he would even entertain an extension at this point in his career.

If Sig and Elias decided they liked Chourio better than Holliday, I would trust it and support it. I really don't have enough info on either guy to make an educated choice myself but on paper the #1 prospect for a close #2 prospect plus a year of a TOR starter is a solid win for both teams. Of course, I highly doubt this comes together.

4 hours ago, George Zuverink said:

I understand. the reality that our ownership makes it unlikely anyone gets an extension, ever. I was referring to the additional issues of Holliday having Boras as an agent and coming from the background with money and a lifetime of exposure to the major league clubhouse. That makes it far less likely that he would even entertain an extension at this point in his career.

So do Gunnar and Holliday both have Boras as an agent?  Not that JA was going to ok the money to sign either of them to an extension.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm just horsing around.  I dunno if I'd do that deal or not, but I'd like to extend Holliday before he comes up like the Brewers are trying to do for Chourio.

Only one problem with that, Boras has never signed a client up for a long-term deal before they reached two years of service time. Ever. In 30 years as an agent.