Rule 5 Draft Targets

sportsfan8703

37 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Baseball America International signing review of Rockies

Nelvis Ochoa is a 16-year-old Venezuelan righthander who signed with the Rockies on July 2. He’s not that big (5-foot-11, 160 pounds, up a couple inches from where he was earlier in the scouting process) but he’s a strike-thrower with a good mix of pitchability and stuff for his age, which has helped him perform well in games. When clubs scouted Ochoa as an amateur, he topped out around 90 mph, but he is up to 93 now. Despite his smaller stature, his arm speed and youth suggest he could eventually be in the mid 90s or higher at some point. Ochoa throws his fastball for strikes and has the ability to manipulate two secondary pitches, including a power curveball and a changeup. He trained at the 5J Baseball Academy.

I now know more about him then I did before I read this, but it does make me wonder who the 38 guys who were eligible to be drafted who  more highly thought of then him. 

I'm wondering if the Rockies just thought no one would know he was eligible since he didn't pitch until the 2021 season. But alas, he was a July 2019 signee which means he was eligible to pitch in five different seasons, this meaning he must've been protected on the 38-man Triple-A roster. According to the Isotopes roster page, only 25 guys were on the roster. 

These would have been the guys from our 2019 signees that needed to be protected on the Norfolk roster and none are on there.

D-fHWkhXkAEk_Bo.thumb.jpg.aab2c9b27cbbb4206a613b052d005949.jpg

Perhaps they don't officially update the 38 protected on the roster on the public roster sites. I could have seen Chace or Portes taken so imagine they were protected. Kade Strowd is the only r5 guy that I think could have been taken if not protected on the AAA roster that's not already protected. So perhaps he's on the "hidden" protected list as well. 

• Upvote 1