Trade Suggestion: Steven Matz for Urias or Mateo

Roll Tide

If Mateo or Urias can improve our #5 rotation spot, sure.  Matz could be a fit if we see a path to improvement.  And if he has any options left.

But a trade for a #5 doesn’t scratch the itch.

I tend to think Urias/Mateo will bring a low level lottery.  Or they are part of a package.

34 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

If Mateo or Urias can improve our #5 rotation spot, sure.  Matz could be a fit if we see a path to improvement.  And if he has any options left.

But a trade for a #5 doesn’t scratch the itch.

I tend to think Urias/Mateo will bring a low level lottery.  Or they are part of a package.

I think we already have #5 type guys.   We should be aiming higher.  

I don't know anything about Matz's stuff, but if it's decent, I could see the O's doing a move like this provided it's structured like the McCann deal (e.g., the Cards pay most of his salary).

It's not what we need, but it is a potential down the roster improvement, in theory.

I would hate for Elias to trade for a player like Matz because he costs little player wise to acquire.  2 years/$25 mill is a good ways towards paying the first 2 years of #2/3 starter $25 mill/year.  My fear is that Elias is going to waste all the money the O's have to spend on utility IF/OF, 4th or 5th best RH RP, #5 starter/swing man types and have no money left for difference makers. 

32 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would hate for Elias to trade for a player like Matz because he costs little player wise to acquire.  2 years/$25 mill is a good ways towards paying the first 2 years of #2/3 starter $25 mill/year.  My fear is that Elias is going to waste all the money the O's have to spend on utility IF/OF, 4th or 5th best RH RP, #5 starter/swing man types and have no money left for difference makers. 

You have to purge Mateo and or Urias from the roster. it would be nice to get something for them. That cant be your only move but it helps clear the jam.

• Upvote 1

2.81 ERA as a reliever last year vs 4.04 as a starter. Throws 95-96 at times. The problem is that as a lefty multi-innings guy he's kind of redundant with Irvin. And the staff will likely include 3 other lefties in Perez, Coloumbe, and Hall. 

I think he's decently valuable as a swingman, but it might take an injury or come at the expense of somebody else. Irvin I believe is out of options. But if you don't think Mateo for Matz is a good trade for the Orioles, you're smokin something. I just don't think it's very likely to happen because it's hard to fit him on the squad, assuming we get a more accomplished/exciting SP and a bullpen arm. 

Edited by interloper

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

2.81 ERA as a reliever last year vs 4.04 as a starter. Throws 95-96 at times. The problem is that as a lefty multi-innings guy he's kind of redundant with Irvin. And the staff will likely include 3 other lefties in Perez, Coloumbe, and Hall. 

I think he's decently valuable as a swingman, but it might take an injury or come at the expense of somebody else. Irvin I believe is out of options. But if you don't think Mateo for Matz is a good trade for the Orioles, you're smokin something. I just don't think it's very likely to happen because it's hard to fit him on the squad, assuming we get a more accomplished/exciting SP and a bullpen arm. 

I prefer Irvin at his cost for next year.  If you take away the first month, he had a pretty decent season.   I like him in the role of swingman/long relief.  He'll be MUCH cheaper than Matz as well.

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Matz is owed 2yr/$25 million. There’s no way that we’re paying that let alone trading for it. Trading isn’t a bad idea and I think it’s on the table for us if need be. 

You might be right, but if that's the case, it shows how pathetic ownership is that they would deem 2 years $25M too expensive for a starting pitcher.  Not saying I want Matz, but the money should not be an issue if we're talking about a competent owner.