Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

MLBTR is reporting that that O’s are “seriously engaged” with Craig Kimbrel. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/orioles-seriously-engaged-on-craig-kimbrel.html

He fills a need.  It would be nice just to have him in the bank.  We could pair him with Robertson, and have a really experienced back half of the bullpen.  It would get us through 162 with the potential of a Bautista September return, and a deadline deal for the playoffs.  It also frees Wells up for the open rotation spot. 

Probably Kimbrel or Robertson.  Not both.

IMO

Bradish, Grayson, Means, Kremer, Wells

Kimbrel, Cano, Webb, Baumann, Baker

Coloumbe, Perez, Irvin

AAA - Hall, Tate, Zimmerman, Akin

It makes a lot of sense. We could bring in the Japanese reliever to have optionable depth on the RH side. We could sign Robertson. We wouldn’t have to trade a big piece for Luzardo/Cease. 

If Tate is healthy he will be in the pen over Baker IMO.  Baker has an option.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I guess Kimbrel is a semi-cromulent signing. Certainly not exciting, and I expect he may be my least favorite player next season, but it’s a necessary addition. 

Now go sign EdRod too. Send Mateo/Urias off for the best return you can get and let’s play ball. 

I’m good with a Kimbrel signing. I just dislike the thought process of feeling the need to get a reliever because of closing experience.

MLBTR is reporting that that O’s are “seriously engaged” with Craig Kimbrel. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/orioles-seriously-engaged-on-craig-kimbrel.html

He fills a need.  It would be nice just to have him in the bank.  We could pair him with Robertson, and have a really experienced back half of the bullpen.  It would get us through 162 with the potential of a Bautista September return, and a deadline deal for the playoffs.  It also frees Wells up for the open rotation spot. 

I wouldn't love Kimbrel but I would cautiously like it. He does fit as a one year guy who should be good. Would rather Stephenson or trade for someone younger and better.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I wouldn't love Kimbrel but I would cautiously like it. He does fit as a one year guy who should be good. Would rather Stephenson or trade for someone younger and better.

Agreed.  Kimbrel though is the safest, least expensive (assuming one year) option.   Kimbrel won’t be great but should be good and you pretty much know what you’re getting.  I thought it would be Robertson because I thought Kimbrel might be able to get 2 years.  Guess we’ll see.

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Well they could (and should) sign both.

That said, Stephenson may get 4 or more years, so they probably don’t want that.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Even if the Marlins really value the bat of Santander, that trade would get blown away by many other teams.

This!! 

This is exactly what a lot of folks don't get....many GM's have learned to be patient waiting for a better offer, and they play teams against each other.  We want a potential stud starting pitcher for our spare parts.  If I'm the other GM, and am truly interested in moving Luzardo, I'm waiting for a better offer, too   I'm in no rush to move him right now, this week unless I'm blown away, or my demands are met.  And if a better offer doesn't come along, then I still have the best one that I liked.....assuming it was enough.

It was mentioned on MLB Network the other day that EVERY team is looking for pitching.  It's a sellers market, and I think good pitching is higher in demand than the prospects or veterans that we are willing to part with, whichever ones they are.

This is what I believe to be true - if we get who "we" (as in the Hangout) want, we will feel like we gave up too much to get it.  Otherwise we will be disappointed with who we ended up getting vs. other more popular options on here.  Either way, we overpaid, or we settled, so prepare to be disappointed.....again, either way.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There really isn’t much, if anything, in his stats that says “the wheels are bound to fall off soon”

I don't know about 'wheels about to fall off' but guys don't typically tend to get better in their mid-to-late 30s.

He will be 36 this year.

His HR rate is elevated a bit compared to his averages.  His K rate is down.  His BB rate doesn't really impress me but it is consistent with the majority of his career tbf.

That all being said.....  BB-ref has him as sub replacement level in 2019 and 2020.   Very good in 2021.  Replacement level in 2022....then solid again overall last season.

He should be a decent signing but I can see why people aren't super stoked about this possibility.

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

I don't know about 'wheels about to fall off' but guys don't typically tend to get better in their mid-to-late 30s.

He will be 36 this year.

His HR rate is elevated a bit compared to his averages.  His K rate is down.  His BB rate doesn't really impress me but it is consistent with the majority of his career tbf.

That all being said.....  BB-ref has him as sub replacement level in 2019 and 2020.   Very good in 2021.  Replacement level in 2022....then solid again overall last season.

He should be a decent signing but I can see why people aren't super stoked about this possibility.

Well, I’m not super stoked but he’s fine. Some of those numbers you said are misleading, as I showed last week.

A lot of that “drop off” was really just a few bad outings that skew things.  Overall, he’s fine but I don’t think he’s overly exciting either.