Bloomberg: Carlyle Group/David Rubenstein In Talks To Purchase Orioles

ThisIsBirdland

Like him or not, John Angelos is the one who hired Mike Elias and enabled Mike Elias to put together the front office and baseball operations teams. He deserves Credit for that.

No matter who is the acting majority owner, what needs to happen is for Elias and all if his people to stay, while getting more financial support for player acquisitions and talent retention on the payroll. Do what it takes to win the World Series.

Oh and sign the dang lease.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Like him or not, John Angelos is the one who hired Mike Elias and enabled Mike Elias to put together the front office and baseball operations teams. He deserves Credit for that.

No matter who is the acting majority owner, what needs to happen is for Elias and all if his people to stay, while getting more financial support for player acquisitions and talent retention on the payroll. Do what it takes to win the World Series.

Oh and sign the dang lease.

John Angelos certainly deserves full credit for hiring Mike Elias and letting him do what he thinks best.  As for the rest, I'm more than happy to let history be the judge.  But it's time to turn the page.

9 hours ago, Pickles said:

I know about the guy, well in advance of these rumors.  Don't forget guys, I grew up in DC too.  I know how the town works.

I'm not trying to get too high and mighty here, belive it or not.

I'm just skeptical, and no, I don't believe ANY ownership change is automatically GOOD ownership change, as seems to be the default setting around here.

I really, really hope you poured one too many of the good stuff this fine December eve, in anticipation of holiday cheer, because that will give you reasonable cover. I'm only halfway through this thread, and you've generated excess cringe value. If cringe could be express as Cwar, you've generated 2.8 in a very short cup of coffee.

It's always interesting how people who don't have money are experts on how people with money are / were / will be.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Ridgway22 said:

I really, really hope you poured one too many of the good stuff this fine December eve, in anticipation of holiday cheer, because that will give you reasonable cover. I'm only halfway through this thread, and you've generated excess cringe value. If cringe could be express as Cwar, you've generated 2.8 in a very short cup of coffee.

It's always interesting how people who don't have money are experts on how people with money are / were / will be.

Edited by Pickles

9 hours ago, waroriole said:

The Angelos’s obviously are not willing/able to spend anything. As long as John is in charge I expect payroll in the bottom 5-10. With new ownership, and one who’s independently wealthy, you’d expect payroll to be commensurate with the product on the field. Maybe not Top 10 regularly, but in seasons where it calls for it. I would imagine an owner like this would have his focus more on the price paid when he bought the team versus when he sells the team. Not how much can I take out of the team yearly, like John. 

We have a lot to spend to get to a bottom 10 payroll (as in 20th)…lol

JA in accordance with his father’s legacy has run this franchise not just into the ground, but under it. His actions over the last year were almost sabotaging. Look at EVERYTHING that he said and did! Nothing was in any way remotely helpful or positive.

And that doesn’t include how he refused to spend anything mid-season when the team was top of the league and vying for a legit pennant run. I know some want/wanted to blame Elias, believing that he actually wanted to acquire Fuji (as a meaningful bullpen addition) or Flaherty (as a SP upgrade) but basic common sense says the awfulness of Angelos was always an impediment to acquiring any kind of good player who cost anything significant in salary.

8 hours ago, Pickles said:

I'm glad we can agree.  That makes me feel good we have the same projection.

We always knew they had to sell because the Angelos kids can't generate the independent income necessary.

I'll say this: If new ownership plans on running an annual profit, things aren't going to change radically in terms of major league payroll.  Other than, and this is very important, the natural salary progression of a young, successful team.

But it would take ownership being willing to take a very modest annual profit to run 150 annual MLB payroll.

There’s profit, and there’s profit.  Most baseball teams make a small profit.  The Orioles are making an extremely large profit.  And in the short term, that’s fine.  It’s the byproduct of going through a rebuilding and having a lot of good key players who are in pre-Arb or early Arb years.   But we will soon be entering a different phase and the owner shouldn’t pretend that the team doesn’t have money to spend.  

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s profit, and there’s profit.  Most baseball teams make a small profit.  The Orioles are making an extremely large profit.  And in the short term, that’s fine.  It’s the byproduct of going through a rebuilding and having a lot of good key players who are in pre-Arb or early Arb years.   But we will soon be entering a different phase and the owner shouldn’t pretend that the team doesn’t have money to spend.  

And this doesn’t include MASN

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m sure there is a certain greed to JA. So paying himself, mom and brother 10’s of millions of dollars is probably in the budget. So he can sleep at night thinking the orioles are not turning much of a profit.

Lots of thoughts here obviously.  Bloomberg is a legit reporting place for something like this, though one would think that Rosenthal would have eyes on it too, and be the guy to break the story.  

Either way, I think there is a lot of fire to this rumor.  All of the things we hear about the Battery style area not being able to happen around the current stadium, for whatever reason letting the lease go this far, not expanding the payroll, the MASN dispute looking like the Orioles are going to owe a lot of money to the Nationals……..there is a lot to point towards a sale. 

John deserves a lot of credit for getting Mike Elias in here.  Peter never, ever would have done many of the things that Elias did.  He would have continued to allocate all of the resources to the MLB payroll to try and win that way.  However, I think we all know that there is a happy medium between the payrolls that we had now, versus the payrolls that we had in the middle of last decade, and John is just not spending it.  We also know that the infrastructure changes that Elias made were 110% for the better, but that does not even come close to accounting for the discrepancy between current payroll, and payroll from 2016-17. 

However, I just feel that the amount of “strikes” that the team is taking off the field is probably taking it’s toll on the family, and this is something they are probably looking to divest themselves from at this point.  

I also wonder if Rubenstein is in talks to buy some of the Angelos family shares, but come in on the short side so that Georgia retains majority control and John is still the “control person.”  

11 hours ago, 24fps said:

Unspeakably disrespectful to hatchets, no question.  This thread - which began with some of the best news I've heard as an Orioles fan in a very long time - remains poised to erupt into a full-blown dumpster fire.  I don't get it.

The internet was a mistake.

Very promising news. Trying not to get my hopes up, but it's a step in the right direction!

Side note - Is there anywhere in these 19 pages that gives credit to the poster from a few weeks back who started the thread that this may be in the works?

12 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Lots of thoughts here obviously.  Bloomberg is a legit reporting place for something like this, though one would think that Rosenthal would have eyes on it too, and be the guy to break the story.  

Either way, I think there is a lot of fire to this rumor.  All of the things we hear about the Battery style area not being able to happen around the current stadium, for whatever reason letting the lease go this far, not expanding the payroll, the MASN dispute looking like the Orioles are going to owe a lot of money to the Nationals……..there is a lot to point towards a sale. 

John deserves a lot of credit for getting Mike Elias in here.  Peter never, ever would have done many of the things that Elias did.  He would have continued to allocate all of the resources to the MLB payroll to try and win that way.  However, I think we all know that there is a happy medium between the payrolls that we had now, versus the payrolls that we had in the middle of last decade, and John is just not spending it.  We also know that the infrastructure changes that Elias made were 110% for the better, but that does not even come close to accounting for the discrepancy between current payroll, and payroll from 2016-17. 

However, I just feel that the amount of “strikes” that the team is taking off the field is probably taking it’s toll on the family, and this is something they are probably looking to divest themselves from at this point.  

I also wonder if Rubenstein is in talks to buy some of the Angelos family shares, but come in on the short side so that Georgia retains majority control and John is still the “control person.”  

I can’t imagine a guy like Rubenstein would be ok with that set up. He’s not going to take orders from John Angelos.