MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you get paid the going rate you aren't being overpaid.

I'm sure the Yankees,  Mets, Rangers, and Diamondbacks each thought they were paying 'the going rates' for Hicks, Rodon, Scherzer, DeGrom, and Bumgarner.  I'm also sure that if you ask any fans or executives of those teams now today after 2023, they would say those players were overpaid. All were either DFA'd, traded, or injured most of the season.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, interloper said:

The top tier guys will be massively overpaid yes, but I'm not sure it trickles down too much to the mid level guys. ERod got a pretty normal amount. Trade still our best option for anyone better than a Wacha-type though.

I like Wacha but at this point if we are looking that far down the list it might just be a better idea to take our chances with Irvin/Hall/Wells knowing 4 of the AAA starters are getting close to pushing for their MLB debut.

Either that, or we can try to somehow lure Clayton Kershaw away from L.A. on a 1 year deal to pitch for the Orioles. 

6 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm sure the Yankees,  Mets, Rangers, and Diamondbacks each thought they were paying 'the going rates' for Hicks, Rodon, Scherzer, DeGrom, and Bumgarner.  I'm also sure that if you ask any fans or executives of those teams now today after 2023, they would say those players were overpaid. All were either DFA'd, traded, or injured most of the season.  

I think complaining about players being overpaid is a combination of jealousy and sour grapes since we have an owner that won't pay the going rate.

Are you suggesting that Scherzer was underpaid by the Nationals?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think complaining about players being overpaid is a combination of jealousy and sour grapes since we have an owner that won't pay the going rate.

I was merely suggesting the Mets overplaid him, considering they shipped him out less than 2 years later just to dump half his salary.

3 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I was merely suggesting the Mets overplaid him, considering they shipped him out less than 2 years later just to dump half his salary.

I know what you are suggesting.

I'm counter suggesting that by your logic the Nationals underpaid him.

You can pay someone the league minimum and they not "earn" it.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wouldn’t say it quite that way, but Scherzer outperformed his contract. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wouldn’t say it quite that way, but Scherzer outperformed his contract. 

I wouldn't say it that way either.

But if those examples were "overpaid" he should count as "underpaid".

The market is the market.

To me the only time someone is "overpaid" is something like the first Arod free agent deal where the team went hugely over what any other team would pay.  Another example would be the Chris Davis deal.

Before the offseason got going there was some talk of an MOO bat.
So after the signing of Othani, JD Martinez obviously wont be returning to the Dodgers. Obviously Mountcastle and or Santander would have to go but he only made $10 million last year. What if he could be brought in on a similar deal. His .270s avg, 33 homers, 103 RBIs and near .900 OPS would look good in the middle of our lineup. He’s more consistent than Mountcastle. Thoughts?

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So after the signing of Othani, JD Martinez obviously wont be returning to the Dodgers. Obviously Mountcastle and or Santander would have to go but he only made $10 million last year. What if he could be brought in on a similar deal. His .270s avg, 33 homers, 103 RBIs and near .900 OPS would look good in the middle of our lineup. He’s more consistent than Mountcastle. Thoughts?

That might enable a pathway to trading Mountcastle in a package to get Burnes. Then bring up Mayo when Coby's ready.

Mountcastle looks like the best negotiating chip the Brewers might be interested in, considering their need for corner infield and a bat. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I have no faith in Elias' ability to make a legitimate trade at this point (until I see it happen). I also don't like the idea of adding a true DH only player because it's going to take significant playing time away from Kjerstad. If Kjerstad isn't traded he needs to play this season. It's time to sh*t or get off the pot with some of these young rookies. 

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Even with how nutty and lousy with money owners are, free agency is inherently not much different than emailing a bunch of car dealers and asking what they could do to get you into a fancy new rig. By definition of the market  the price is what it is. The actual eventual value to you is a whole different matter.

42 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I have no faith in Elias' ability to make a legitimate trade at this point (until I see it happen). I also don't like the idea of adding a true DH only player because it's going to take significant playing time away from Kjerstad. If Kjerstad isn't traded he needs to play this season. It's time to sh*t or get off the pot with some of these young rookies. 

I agree with keeping the DH spot open but can’t agree with the general statement about having to play the rookies. There’s nothing wrong with stockpiling them in Norfolk until there is an injury or performance issue that brings them up. Few have spent a full year in Norfolk and at least one of them doesn’t even have to be added to the 40 man until after this year. That’s what teams with both good MLB teams and strong farm systems do. It’s just been 50 years since the O’s had both we fans don’t know how to process it.