MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Glasnow in process of signing extension w/ Dodgers.  3 years/$90 million (25-27) plus $30 million team option for 2028 or $20 million player option.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/dodgers-extend-tyler-glasnow.html

Am I crazy, or does it seem ridiculous that a (oft-injured) starting pitcher who has never pitched more than 120 innings in a season is getting this type of contract?

Edited by clapdiddy
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Am I crazy, or does it seem ridiculous that a (oft-injured) starting pitcher who has never pitched more than 120 innings in a season is getting this type of contract?

I dunno. He's a frontline starter when healthy, and still pretty young. I think a 3 year deal at a high AAV sounds fair. But I mean, yeah, if you're even a half-decent pitcher you're going to get PAID right now. 

Edited by interloper

6 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

He’s going  reliably give them 120-130 innings of 3.50 ERA pitching. Do you prefer that over Kyle Gibson 180 innings of 5 ERA. Which do you prefer? I’ll go with the quality 

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

I dunno. He's a frontline starter when healthy, and still pretty young. I think a 3 year deal at a high AAV sounds fair. But I mean, yeah, if you're even a half-decent pitcher you're going to get PAID right now. 

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He’s going  reliably give them 120-130 innings of 3.50 ERA pitching. Do you prefer that over Kyle Gibson 180 innings of 5 ERA. Which do you prefer? I’ll go with the quality 

I understand where you guys are coming from, but he hadn't been remotely close to the 120 innings in any of the previous 5 seasons before last.  

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I will take Gibson honestly if i was the Orioles because of our financial constraints but it depends who i have to cover the other 80-100 or so innings while Glasnow is not pitching.  I don't want to be paying someone a third of my team payroll and all he is giving me is 21 starts a season which is his career high.   He has made 60 starts over the last 5 years so on average 12 starts a year and will be making 30 million a year.  The Dodgers have the money to eat a contract like that but we do not and I am not taking a huge monetary gamble on someone like that.  We need someone that has shown more ability to stay healthy and take the ball 160+ innings a year.  

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I love how a lot of O's fans are quick to label GRod a surefire ace for the forseeable future based on his success in the 2nd half in a comparable amount of innings, while for Pepiot, it doesn't mean anything. 

There's more to it than the stat lines, Pepiot just doesn't have GRod's combination of stuff and track record of minor-league dominance. GRod performing well over the 2nd half of the year is seen as confirmation of what was hoped for and expected, whereas Pepiot's performance was a bit of a surprise, which leaves open the question of whether or not he can repeat it. That doesn't mean he can't or won't, but it's completely fair to wonder if he was pitching a bit over his head for 40 innings. It doesn't take orange-colored glasses to see that one is a better bet than the other, based on what we currently know.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/latest-on-framber-valdez-2.html

There is another name that could be put into the possible starting pitcher’s available.  I don’t really see them moving him but he does have two years of control.  The Astros have a good amount of depth in rotation but few injuries so might hold onto him til those guys come back.  

Just now, bpilktree said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/latest-on-framber-valdez-2.html

There is another name that could be put into the possible starting pitcher’s available.  I don’t really see them moving him but he does have two years of control.  The Astros have a good amount of depth in rotation but few injuries so might hold onto him til those guys come back.  

Just came here to post this. Not sure why they'd trade him, but yeah he's awesome. 

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

Just came here to post this. Not sure why they'd trade him, but yeah he's awesome. 

It sounds like they might be bit cash strapped.  They have some high profile free agents next year in Bergman and Altuve.   There were rumors they might move Bergman earlier on in off season as well.  

So why not Trevor Rogers? He is a DL Hall level talent beset with injuries. Last year he was in their starting rotation until IL with "arm tenderness". In rehab he tore a Lat but NOT on his pitching side, and was out the rest of the year. MIA made the playoffs without him so they effectively replaced him. He is expected to be healthy for ST. I am NOT saying he would be the off season SP trade. IMO he is more of the Povich / Seth Johnson type trade, depth with upside. After Soler, a FA RF-DH that missed the last half season, the next best returning OPS is 0.715. Santander alone replaces Soler and they need a SS badly. Ortiz and Mateo are backup INF on the 2024 O's at best, baring unlikely breakouts. Why not some combo of Santa-SS for Rogers???

I would have been alright with Wacha. 25-6 over the past two years, 3.27 ERA with a 4.01 FIP, 1.139 WHIP. I get that he doesn’t have electric stuff and he’s more of a command guy but as a 4th or 5th (I still don’t believe we’re going after elite rotation talent) he’d be an upgrade over Gibson and Lyles. 

But whatever, it’s cool that the Royals are spending money.