MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Oh, I agree completely on that.  I just wouldn’t spend that on Stephenson.  

Me neither ….. But, I think they should find a good starter. I’m tired of hearing about the money and trade assets. Getting a starter allows them to leave Wells and Hall in the pen. We don’t have to worry about Wells doing the mid year swan dive as he runs out of gas. Or Hall struggling to 5 every start and contributing to an over utilized pen. I’m not saying it can’t work out better. Just saying we don’t need to be taking those risks.

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Still some relief names out there. Robertson. Brasier. Ottavino. 

I wouldn’t expect a reliever like those unless Elias thought he was going to strike out on trading for a starter and planned on using Wells as a starter.    Even then, probably not.

A prospect-prospect trade with the Dodgers could make sense. The Dodgers have done two of those so far this offseason. Once with the Yankees. Then with Michael Busch for Jackson Farris. 

So they have like 5-6 SP that are around 25-27 in AAA/MLB that are just depth right now for them. If we could flip them a bat that doesn’t need to be on the 40 man then that would make sense. 

Dodgers SP Depth on the 40 man - Sheehan, Grove, Stone, Hurt, Frasso, and Knack. 

Orioles bats that aren’t on the 40 man - Norby, Horvath, Beavers, Wagner, Fabian, Arias, Willems, etc…

This is a good chance to use a bat to buy an arm. Wagner and Horvath are probably our best bets to bring back one of their guys. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It makes a lot of sense to make sure the O's are an actual contender before signing someone to a big (3/33M) deal.

Wouldn't want to rush the process.

Once the team is for sure established the money will be there.

For the record Roch is never "cool" with being proven wrong.

LOL.  Everyone saw this coming from the Orioles.  And now Roch can defend them.

3 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I have no problem with it, as in I get why he does it.  Doesn't make it any less annoying as a fan. 

Adjust expectations accordingly.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

O's were never paying 13m for a pitcher who is longshot to make 25-30 starts.

That's right.  No one should be surprised.  

I can't get mad at water for being wet.  Until the Orioles step up and do this, I will continue to believe that they never will because that's who they've shown themselves to be.  On a similar note, I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to Elias trading prospects for significant ML talent.

We can rant and rave on here, we can dissect things up and down, we can ramble at length about what they should do, what they need to do, what makes sense for them to do.  But I don't believe any of those things will happen because they haven't shown us that they have the ability to do so.  

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've got no problem with Roch defending the hand that feeds him.  As he should.

What I have problem with is Roch calling himself a "reporter". That word indirectly implies some level of indepedence. He's not a reporter. He's a glorified company PR guy. Let's just call a spade a spade. 

• Thanks 1

Stephenson collecting $30M+ after a half year Rays tune-up is I think an interesting profile path.

Pedigree - Stephenson 2.24.1993 was a 1st round high school Arm.    He got the same $2M bonus Jose Fernandez got from the High School Class of 2011.     

Through age 30, his career, entirely with the CIN-COL-PIT organizations, was at/below replacement.     Few months in Tampa, riches!

Based on Felix-Cano type things, I have some hope BAL is in that TB-LAD-HOU neighborhood of ability to curate performances out of players.    They flunked Fujinami, but I think process wise it'll be more "make Cano's" and let someone else like the Angels pay when they get expensive.      Same as Tyler Anderson (good with Dodgers, bad with Angels and happily collecting $40M of their money), we'll see if the insights travel.

Akin to this on the Bats side is the pleasant notion that what if Gunnar Henderson, Coby Mayo and Samuel Basallo are typical kids*, just the ones that fell into the sweet sweet Sigbot hugs of the 2020's.     You can always draft Will Smith, Shane McClanahan, Gunnar Henderson and Bobby Miller type people picking last and with Comp picks.

*not who Adley Rutschman and Jackson Holliday are

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Adjust expectations accordingly.

That's right.  No one should be surprised.  

I can't get mad at water for being wet.  Until the Orioles step up and do this, I will continue to believe that they never will because that's who they've shown themselves to be.  On a similar note, I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to Elias trading prospects for significant ML talent.

We can rant and rave on here, we can dissect things up and down, we can ramble at length about what they should do, what they need to do, what makes sense for them to do.  But I don't believe any of those things will happen because they haven't shown us that they have the ability to do so.  

Good post and good way of looking at things.  I wish I didn't get so frustrated over the lack of moves, but it just is what it is with this ownership.