MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

35 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Tough to compete with the big spending Royals. The Royals should be at about 120 million next year.  They have been bad just as long as us and have done a very poor job in getting much from their prospects so now spending money to try and stay out of basement.  

Who's to say Lugo and Wacha and Ragans and Witt don't get them to the tournament race (probably more via AL Central division win than wildcard berth).

We'll have a lot of baseball gods to placate if he's batting 9th against us in a ALWC round.    Central champ I believe gets guaranteed homefield for the 3 v. 6 matchup.

Joc Pederson's $9.5 get for 2024 is a Santander data point.    146 OPS+ Pederson rated the qualifying offer; 111 OPS+ Pederson recedes to less than half that number.     Santander's 135 OPS+ peak from the 2020 short season is probably a decent guess at the performance level he'd need to hit to set himself up for 20-some million next year.

We should see where the Blue Jays, Red Sox or others take Jorge Soler, JD Martinez and Justin Turner soon-ish for a full view of outcomes on this winter's Santander-ish guys.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Neris to Cubs for $9 million. Pretty good deal right there.

We didn’t want to give 3 years to Stephenson which I get but then don’t try and beat 1 year deal for 9 million with an option for Neris when we are supposed to be looking for another bullpen arm.  There still few weeks left but just not seeing what they are trying to do.  Don’t have lot of money ok fine then let go of a few of the guys making over league minimum like Urias, O’Hearn and  Mateo and let the younger guys who are ready get the at bats.  Then use some of that money and get a bullpen piece.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Especially since Kimbrel costs $13 mm when his buyout is considered.  

I have to guess 2 things: the Os don't like giving out player options that automatically vest, and they probably like what Kimbrel brings as a veteran presence in the bullpen (and yes I know they did fine as a unit without one last season).

Also, I'm guessing they just wanted to secure a guy quickly which sometimes means you pay a slight premium.