MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

In one way, yeah. But it's kind of a fair deal really. $15 AAV for a solid SP sounds right, and only $2 more than Kimbrel. 

But I agree where before I thought it was possible to get Wacha on a 2-year deal, now I don't know. I don't think we will be getting a SP via free agency at this point. Trade or bust. 

Wacha likely wont be highly sought after due to the limited innings. he probably gets 2  or 3 years. At a controlled price I think you do that. Plus, I'd offer incentives at 150, 170, and 190 innings to encourage him to pitch more.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Royals signing Seth Lugo. 3/$45. 

Pretty solid value IMO. Even if Lugo falters as a starter they're getting a very solid reliever with some closing experience. The third year scares me a bit, because of his age, but this was a guy I was really hoping the Orioles would have been interested in. 

If you hold your hand over your eyes and look real closely Seth Lugo might look like a quality starting pitcher but I can’t see it.  He has thrown over 101 innings 1 time in his career last season at the age of 33.   He made 7 starts since 2017 coming into last year.   Tyler Wells has thrown more inning as a starter since then and no one here seem to thing he can be a starter.   Tyler Wells at league minimum and 1 year arbitration is a lot better the Lugo at 3/45.  

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Lugo at 3/45 is terrible news for the FA SP market that we’re likely shopping in. 

I guess, but that speaks more to our cheapness than it does to Lugo's contract. It averages out to be just a little more per year than we're going to pay Kimbrel and when you take into account Lugo's potential upside as a starter I think it's justified. Honestly, if I had to choose I would have taken Lugo over Kimbrel and taken my chances with Hall or Wells as the closer. 

41 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Pretty solid value IMO. Even if Lugo falters as a starter they're getting a very solid reliever with some closing experience. The third year scares me a bit, because of his age, but this was a guy I was really hoping the Orioles would have been interested in. 

It's a solid sign for the Royals, but I'm glad the Orioles weren't in on him. I'm still hoping for a bit higher end.