Ohtani to the Blue Jays? (Update: Signs w/Dodgers for $700 million over 10 yrs)

Rustbelt

2 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I guess this is why Roch sent that message today. Players like Bellinger and Snell with mix results are going to be asking for 200-300 million.

Yeah there are going to be some horrible contracts as billionaire owners overreact to not signing Ohtani.  Whoever  gives Snell and Bellinger $250 million plus will regret it.  I hope the Yankees sign both of them

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Yeah there are going to be some horrible contracts as billionaire owners overreact to not signing Ohtani.  Whoever  gives Snell and Bellinger $250 million plus will regret it.  I hope the Yankees sign both of them

If I’m a GM for an MLB team and all of a sudden guys like Snell and Bellinger think they can command more cause of what Ohtani just got, I’d offer them a Coke after I stopped laughing in their face. 

Ohtani is a true 1/1. There aren’t any comps.  They can try, but it’s Ohtani and everyone else. It would be like Clyde Drexler asking for more money cause Michael Jordan signed a fat contract. 

I also sincerely doubt that Roch had some inside info today that this deal was going to happen and that’s why he wrote that piece this morning. I think everyone had a sense that Ohtani was going to sign soon but to act like Roch is some harbinger of expectation-setting cause if Ohtani is a bit silly. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

If I’m a GM for an MLB team and all of a sudden guys like Snell and Bellinger think they can command more cause of what Ohtani just got, I’d offer them a Coke after I stopped laughing in their face. 

Ohtani is a true 1/1. There aren’t any comps.  They can try, but it’s Ohtani and everyone else. It would be like Clyde Drexler asking for more money cause Michael Jordan signed a fat contract. 

I also sincerely doubt that Roch had some inside info today that this deal was going to happen and that’s why he wrote that piece this morning. I think everyone had a sense that Ohtani was going to sign soon but to act like Roch is some harbinger of expectation-setting cause if Ohtani is a bit silly. 

Wasn't Roch's piece about how the O's misjudged the trade market and not the free agent market?

Misjudging the free agent market is so 2022.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

• Tony-OH changed the title to Ohtani to the Blue Jays? (Update: Signs w/Dodgers for $700 million over 10 yrs)
10 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It all moved so fast, the O's never had a chance to sign anyone!

At the current $$$ I'm fine with moving forward with our own..  I would like to see ownership put money into the FO / Scouting departments so we can keep what we have going.. 

Can we just marvel at the fact that Ohtani, although an amazing player, has never played on a winning team in major league baseball? 

If these huge contracts have proven, they are rarely worth it on the field and few suddenly make a team that much better. 

Over the last 11 years, really since they decided to start spending insane amounts of money on salaries, the Dodgers have come in 1st place in 10 out of the last 11 years.

They have ONE World Series win to their credit over that time and that one came on the COVID shortened 2020 season. 

So yeah, I do believe bloated ridiculous payrolls will win you a majority of your regular season games (most of the time), but it also goes to show you how much of a coin flip a 5 or 7 game series can be regardless of your payroll.

Maybe the Dodgers were just feeling bad that the Padres out spent them last year?

Either way, MLB continues to allow big market teams to spend whatever they want and clearly, they can afford to spend this money so business must be pretty good. Then again, as long fans are willing to shell out the high prices to see one of 162 games like they've been doing, then players will continue to get these insane contracts.

image.thumb.png.8896d946ac05bc61e3b2fa48f4ec5041.png

"His agreement includes unprecedented deferred money that will lower the amount it counts toward the Dodgers’ luxury tax payroll, a person familiar with the agreement told The Associated Press."

I think this has to be viewed as a ~$550m contract not $700m if the Dodgers are able to circumvent the CBT.  As a non lawyer it's difficult to read parts of the CBA but I think the Dodgers argument is that deferred money has to be paid in the year generated (held by a third party?) the AAV hit is then much lower than $70m.

What I then don't understand is why the full amount of Davis/Bonilla/Cobb contracts hit against the Orioles tax number?  

1 hour ago, Fan4Life said:

Money is ruining this sport. I can only hope the Dodgers miss the playoffs. 

On March 30, 1966, famed Los Angeles Dodgers pitchers Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale ended their double holdout by signing new contracts for $130,000 and $105,000, respectively. Their holdout during Spring Training lasted 32 days.

The two future Hall of Famers demanded a combined $1 million over three years. They fell short of that but ultimately signed for more than what the Dodgers had initially offered to the hurlers.

Although revered for their contributions on the field, Koufax and Drysdale were the subject of plenty of public criticism and frustration from fans. The situation is widely considered the first time players banded together and is credited for altering the economics of baseball.

https://dodgerblue.com/this-day-dodgers-history-don-drysdale-sandy-koufax-sign-contracts-end-double-holdout/2023/03/30/