What about Mayo?

RZNJ

37 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If you have Mateo and Urias I don’t see how you have room for Holliday and Mayo. 

That’s all well and good but why does the one coming up have to be Holliday and not Mayo?  Why is Holliday more deserving?  Just because he’s the better talent?  That answer may be enough but I’m just kind of playing devils advocate here.

Mayo has more AAA time and has been a high end player for most of his MiL career. 

10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Holliday has played two games at 2B only.   Westburg has played 3B in both of his starts.   Holliday isn’t competing with Westburg for the 2B job.  Holliday is competing against Urias who has played both 3B and 2B.  The plan, IMO, is that Westburg is the 3B, Holliday the 2B, and Urías backing up both spots.  Mayo would have to beat out Westburg for 3B or have Holliday have a terrible spring (Westburg would move back to 2B) but I don’t think either is likely although we might feel that Mayo is one of the best 5 hitters on the team by the end of spring.

The plan to have Mateo backup CF is so that Kjerstad can be the 4th OF.  Cowser, Hilliard, and McKenna aren’t quite as needed if Mateo can play out there.  Kjerstad has two LF starts already.  He’s being prepped to get some LF/RF/DH ABs.   O’Hearn is a virtual lock to make the team.  The only way for Kjerstad to get significant ABs is to play LF against some RHP.  Some DH time against RHP when O’Hearn plays 1B, and some time in RF when Santander is rested or DH’d but the LF AB’s might be significant if the defense looks ok.

Good assessment of the early season lineups. We haven't seen Mateo yet in CF due to not having many SSs with Gunnar out, but other wise the lineup and starts so far back this up. Just four games in though so it will be interesting to follow the games played at positions. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s all well and good but why does the one coming up have to be Holliday and not Mayo?  Why is Holliday more deserving?  Just because he’s the better talent?  That answer may be enough but I’m just kind of playing devils advocate here.

Mayo has more AAA time and has been a high end player for most of his MiL career. 

I don't think either make the team out of spring camp.   That said Holiday does give more roster flexibility as he can play 2nd or SS while Mayo is only playable at 3rd, if you discount OF and 1st really.   Mayo is more ready with the bat though in my opinion.   Is have them both on the team and get rid of Urias and/or Mateo but that's not going to happen. 

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think it's less bout Holliday being more deserving and more about there being a much easier path for Holliday than Mayo. Holliday doesn't have any real competition for 2B. Mayo has to beat Westburg, who is not only a good offensive player but a better defender at 3B. 

I love Mayo, but there's no path for him right now unless there's an injury. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think it's less bout Holliday being more deserving and more about there being a much easier path for Holliday than Mayo. Holliday doesn't have any real competition for 2B. Mayo has to beat Westburg, who is not only a good offensive player but a better defender at 3B. 

Well there is if they take Mayo over Holliday.

9 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Urias’s role on the team will be a utility guy. Holliday will need to be a regular starter. They are not competing. 

That’s the plan but the backup plan is A) Urias starting at 2B if Holliday needs more time in AAA.  Maybe someone like Matón makes the team in this case.  B) Holliday doesn’t make the team and h Mayo does at 3B with Westburg at 2B.

I fully expect Holliday to be the starting 2B and Urias to be utility but Elias all kinds of contingency plans, I’m sure.

If they are both ready, keep Mayo and JH and trade Urias.  If only one is ready, Urias stays.  If they send both down, Urias and some 4A OF sticks around.  For me, Mayo is ready for Baltimore but I still don't think Jackson makes the team.

39 minutes ago, interloper said:

Don't they essentially have the same path? If Mayo looks better why couldn't Westburg just move to 2nd and open up 3rd for Mayo?

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Ripken said:

If they are both ready, keep Mayo and JH and trade Urias.  If only one is ready, Urias stays.  If they send both down, Urias and some 4A OF sticks around.  For me, Mayo is ready for Baltimore but I still don't think Jackson makes the team.

I have a sneaking suspicion Urias is a late ST trade.  I just don't see what value he provides this roster.  He's redundant for the Orioles but is a legit MLBer and should have some takers.  I think he'd be very attractive if someone loses a starter to injury sometime over the next month.  I don't see how you can keep a talent like Mayo down in AAA when you are 'going for it'.   Outside of injury or going 0 for the rest of spring training, Holliday will be going north with the club.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

If Mayo doesn't make the roster out of spring training, under what circumstances does he get promoted/ who does he replace? And why would that make more sense than starting him on the roster?

I think they really like having Urias, the Gold Glover, being the 4th IF. Gunnar, Holliday, and Westburg, being the top 3. Mayo can be held down till mid June for the extra service time. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think they really like having Urias, the Gold Glover, being the 4th IF. Gunnar, Holliday, and Westburg, being the top 3. Mayo can be held down till mid June for the extra service time. 

Urias would be the 4th IF if Holliday was held down too.

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

If Mayo doesn't make the roster out of spring training, under what circumstances does he get promoted/ who does he replace? And why would that make more sense than starting him on the roster?

Obviously, an injury to a starting infielder, including Mountcastle.  Even an an injury to Hays or Santander could potentially open a spot for Mayo.  Otherwise, I have no idea who he might replace or how he fits in.  But if he looks like the best hitter on the team he’s not going down for long and maybe not at all.