Is anyone upset that a team just shelled out $1 billion???

DocJJ

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Very few people want to live in major cities anymore because they've become overwhelmed with crime, drugs, and corruption. Not to mention traffic, high tax rates in most, and an abundance of homeless people/beggars. 

Obviously the ultra rich like most veteran baseball players can escape some of these realities, but I think you are seeing these player live away from it all as much as possible.

Besides, if you didn't have to work in the winter and made millions of dollars, why would you want to live in the Northern part of the united States in the offseason? 

Pretty sure property values and population of major cities are increasing and millions of people are happily living in many of them.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Quick google shows only 52 of 100 of the largest US cities have shown population growth from 2010-2020.

But what is considered the city in these stats?

A lot of cities take on the surrounding county as well. I believe Baltimore is one of the few in the country that does not. 

So, have the cities themselves grown in population or is it the city plus the county?

48 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No it’s not 

How isnt it broken ole wise one? Some teams can spend $300-$400 million per season (including the luxury tax). Some teams cant spend half that. Some teams end up with most of the big names. Folks here are already sweating losing Adley and Gunnar in Free Agency. Are the Orioles cheap? Sure but Weams and a few other guys claimed the teams was losing money when Machado was here.

Moreover, If I was a Pirate or Rays fan I would have very little interest watching my favorite players leave over money.

Edited by Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Quick google shows only 52 of 100 of the largest US cities have shown population growth from 2010-2020.

**************** This is not a political statement or argument. But where are the 10,000 migrants a day coming through the border in Texas going? They are going to cities and towns where the rent is cheap. And likely arent counted in census cards.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

How isnt it broken ole wise one? Some teams can spend $300-$400 million per season (including the luxury tax). Some teams cant spend half that. Some teams end up with most of the big names. Folks here are already sweating losing Adley and Gunnar in Free Agency. Are the Orioles cheap? Sure but Weams and a few other guys claimed the teams was losing money when Machado was here.

Moreover, If I was a Pirate or Rays fan I would have very little interest watching my favorite players leave over money.

Because it's not broken.

People have been saying baseball is broken since the early 70s when Curt Flood and Marvin Miller fought against the reserve clause.  

This whole thing is absurdly silly.  People are so up in arms about Ohtani and Yamamoto going to the Dodgers for record amounts of money, which is what a lot of people were predicting at the start of the offseason.  Now that it actually happened, people suddenly pretend to care about the poor, lowly Pirates but it'll be another 6 or 7 months before we can go back to not caring about them at all.  

Maybe if the Pirates wanted to win, they should start like the Rays did.  Maybe they should invest in a forward thinking general manager who can bring in an analytics department and not be afraid to spend on a scouting department.  Maybe the Pirates problems aren't the system that allows the Dodgers to spend a ton of money but maybe their problems are solvable if they just hired the right people to solve them.  

You can point to to the Rays having low payroll all you want, the fact remains is that the Rays have found a way to compete, year in, year out.  That is what I meant earlier about having to foster ingenuity.  If there's a cap, ingenuity dies...or it's not nearly as robust.  At that point your only concern as a team is cap management.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

**************** This is not a political statement or argument. But where are the 10,000 migrants a day coming through the border in Texas going? They are going to cities and towns where the rent is cheap. And likely arent counted in census cards.

Lol asking a political question sure isn't the same as making a political statement or an argument.  

11 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Do you cry or let it bother you when your neighbor comes home with a car you can’t afford?  No matter how nice your neighborhood is, there is another neighborhood nicer. Does that bother you?

Are you bothered because Home Depot has a larger market share than Lowes?

This is business. Some are more successful than others. Some are just in better markets.

So yes, they have a revenue advantage. So what? Sh!t happens. You deal with it and you move on. 

Things aren’t broken but I do think tweaks need to be made and for me, that’s a floor. 

I think most of the players smart organizations let walk are right decisions. 

Edited by Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol asking a political question sure isn't the same as making a political statement or an argument.  

My point is about politics or arguing a side. Its a fact that they are letting these people in. They are going to cities where they can live cheap and find work. I live in Westminster and our downtown area now has a hefty population of those folks. I don't care that they are there and have no opinion based on any protected classes. My point is that they are being mailed census cards in which data is collected to determine population. So its my opinion that the population numbers are just incorrect.

32 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

My point is about politics or arguing a side. Its a fact that they are letting these people in. They are going to cities where they can live cheap and find work. I live in Westminster and our downtown area now has a hefty population of those folks. I don't care that they are there and have no opinion based on any protected classes. My point is that they are being mailed census cards in which data is collected to determine population. So its my opinion that the population numbers are just incorrect.

No one:

Roll Tide:  political commentary

Edited by Moose Milligan

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Do you cry or let it bother you when your neighbor comes home with a car you can’t afford?  No matter how nice your neighborhood is, there is another neighborhood nicer. Does that bother you?

Are you bothered because Home Depot has a larger market share than Lowes?

This is business. Some are more successful than others. Some are just in better markets.

So yes, they have a revenue advantage. So what? Sh!t happens. You deal with it and you move on. 

Things aren’t broken but I do think tweaks need to be made and for me, that’s a floor. 

I think most of the players smart organizations let walk are right decisions. 

I sometimes disagree with your hardass stance on life but we agree here.  

Facts are, more and more people are bothered by things like this each and every day and instead of doing something about it, they prefer to whine.