On the field, would you say it's our top priority to upgrade the starting staff?

Greg Pappas

On the field, would you say it's our top priority to upgrade the starting staff?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. On the field, would you say it's our top priority to upgrade the starting staff?

Yes. I think the team is built to succeed as it stands today and if they rolled into April with this roster I’d expect to contend for another division crown. 

But I think the rotation is thinnest part of our organization and the part of the ship that’s most likely to fail under stress. So it’s the priority for reinforcement/upgrade. 

• Upvote 1

To me the most pressing decision is to decide what to do about the depth in the minors, who goes and who stays. By doing that you may end up with a Cease or Bieber or you may just acquire more Povich, McDermott, Johnson like prospects. Most want a guy to slot with Bradish and GRod in a short playoff series but Wells or Means could be that guy if Hyde uses them wisely during the season. I am more concerned about who is lined up behind Johnson in the upper minors today while we wait for the International guys to emerge. For me, I keep HK and Westburg along with Mayo and Basallo. Cowser, Ortiz, Norby, Stowers are available for the right pitcher. Holiday is the SS and Mayo is 1B when they come; Gunnar is 3B. O'Hearn, Mounty, Santa are available.

15 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

To me the most pressing decision is to decide what to do about the depth in the minors, who goes and who stays. By doing that you may end up with a Cease or Bieber or you may just acquire more Povich, McDermott, Johnson like prospects. Most want a guy to slot with Bradish and GRod in a short playoff series but Wells or Means could be that guy if Hyde uses them wisely during the season. I am more concerned about who is lined up behind Johnson in the upper minors today while we wait for the International guys to emerge. For me, I keep HK and Westburg along with Mayo and Basallo. Cowser, Ortiz, Norby, Stowers are available for the right pitcher. Holiday is the SS and Mayo is 1B when they come; Gunnar is 3B. O'Hearn, Mounty, Santa are available.

I believe that will probably resolve itself as the young guys play this Spring and into the season.

19 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

To me the most pressing decision is to decide what to do about the depth in the minors, who goes and who stays.

Agreed.  It’s bigger than finding a short-term pitcher regardless of where he slots in.  On the flip-side of that, who we are willing to trade away determines the SP bracket we will be acquiring for 2024 (assuming Elias follows through with that stated goal).

Yes, seems like the biggest weakness when you compare us to playoff level teams. I'd rather have Grayson and Bradish be solid 2-3 guys that are capable of pitching like 1's rather than feel like they need to pitch like aces. Kremer/Wells/Irvin are all fine for the back end but depth is good and they could help the bullpen.

9 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I agree but have read plenty of posts that point to other priorities.  I suspect a strong majority of votes will be Yes, but wanted those with differing opinions to express how they see it here.

I think many would vote yes as well.  I mean it’s the simple, easy answer given the rotation and results/options at other positions.

But I also think framing it as “on the field” tilts it even more toward the 26 man roster decision vs. a more wholistic process.  

As it was mentioned above, starting pitching is the one spot on this roster that looks like it could hold us back.  I will say I think an argument could be made that an improvement at 1B could be made but I think we can cover that with internal options to supplement Mountcastle.