On the field, would you say it's our top priority to upgrade the starting staff?

Greg Pappas

On the field, would you say it's our top priority to upgrade the starting staff?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. On the field, would you say it's our top priority to upgrade the starting staff?

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Is there actually any evidence that is true or is that one of those “it sounds good, so I’m going to say it” cliches?

Sounds good, so I'm gonna say it.

I can see the argument both ways.  If you don't want to or can't upgrade your rotation, upgrading the bullpen might be a better option.  Certainly cheaper.  In a day and age where starters are going less and less innings, having a lockdown bullpen that can come in for 4-5 innings is important.  And having a deep bullpen so your top 2-3 guys don't get worn out by August is important, too.  

But upgrading the rotation so you don't have to tax your bullpen is a good thing.  IMO that means you still might be relying on 3-4 guys out of the pen and once you get past them it's not great shakes.

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

I explained in the follow up post that, "I titled it this way so that some would not get into off the field stuff, like ownership." If you wanted to vote no and explain your reasoning, such as you have, that's perfectly acceptable.

I read that.  Just saying…

17 minutes ago, Pickles said:

You don't think pushing Wells or Hall into the bullpen improves it?

Well I was talking about it more in the way that people will say if the rotation is good and provides you innings that it makes the pen better.

In the way you seem to be saying it, I think that’s possible but I also think it’s possible those guys are in the pen even if the Os don’t acquire any starter.

2023 MLB Team Position Performance by Wins Above Average

SP = #16 @ 1.6

RP = #10 @ .6 

C = #7 @ 1.3

1B = #9 @ .4

2B = #14 @ .4 

3B = #5 @ 2.2

SS = #10 @ 1.7

LF = #2 @ .2

CF = #12 @ 1.0

RF = #15 @ -.2 

OF = #15 @ 1.0 

DH = #5 @ 1.1 

My gut instinct was OF.  Specifically CF as I think trusting Mullins to stay healthy is risky and  we don’t have much depth.  We lack a bonafied slugger in the lineup.  I do think our guys will take a step forward in the OF this year.  I voted the pitching staff for the poll, but don’t think we need a TOR type, raising the floor + improvements from our guys will go a long way.  I think picking up an impact pitcher will be easier than a true slugger or CF replacement.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see what else could be the answer.

4 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Yes. I think the team is built to succeed as it stands today and if they rolled into April with this roster I’d expect to contend for another division crown. 

But I think the rotation is thinnest part of our organization and the part of the ship that’s most likely to fail under stress. So it’s the priority for reinforcement/upgrade. 

I think CF is the biggest question mark and the “thinnest”.  If Mullins gets hurt, we are putting scrubs out their.  I thought long and hard about voting “no” because of the OF, and as you can see from my previous post, our OF is pretty poor compared to the league.  But ultimately went with SP upgrade.  If Mullins/Hats get hurt & Cowser/Kjerstad don’t take the next step we are in a world of hurt.  

Right now, the 4th and 5th rotation spots would be filled by Kremer and one of Wells or Irvin.

Adding another #1-3 starter would bump Kremer down into the 5th spot and both of Wells and Irvin to swingmen/bulk relievers/rotation depth.

I much prefer the latter arrangement and don't see any other area of the team that could be so obviously and easily upgraded, so it's a "yes" for me.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I think CF is the biggest question mark and the “thinnest”.  If Mullins gets hurt, we are putting scrubs out their.  I thought long and hard about voting “no” because of the OF, and as you can see from my previous post, our OF is pretty poor compared to the league.  But ultimately went with SP upgrade.  If Mullins/Hats get hurt & Cowser/Kjerstad don’t take the next step we are in a world of hurt.  

How many teams have a viable second option for CF?

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What prediction are you referring to?

Any of them.  Even ones you end up being right on aren’t grounded in reality. You are just completely over the top lollipop that you will say anything crazy without any actual evidence of it being something worth predicting. 

There is no real analysis. It’s more pixie dust, wizards and hopes. It’s “well Hyde really likes him, so I think he’s going to be good”. 

Edited by Sports Guy

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well I was talking about it more in the way that people will say if the rotation is good and provides you innings that it makes the pen better.

In the way you seem to be saying it, I think that’s possible but I also think it’s possible those guys are in the pen even if the Os don’t acquire any starter.

Do you really need "evidence" to tell you that if your bullpen pitches less innings you'll be able to distribute those innings more easily to your best relieves and thus get better results?

But, yes, I am actually referring to acquiring a starter that would push the guys in the 5th starter mix now into the bullpen and strengthening it.  There's going to be a fifth starter.  As it stands now it will be Wells, Irvin, or Hall, in order of most likely imo.  Bringing in someone to push them all to the pen is going to make the pen better.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In my view, getting a good starter also helps the bullpen by pushing Wells and Hall to there.  

When you look at the number of innings the staff needs to cover and the likely ability of guys like Means to handle them, I suspect both Hall and Wells will have ample opportunity to pitch. Kimbrel is a 1 inning closer so the rest of the Bullpen is going to need to step up. The advantage I see to adding a high level SP like Valdez or Cease is keeping innings away from the less talented middle relievers. There is plenty of talent on the staff but covering innings at the end of the year will be a big deal.