For our blind, visually impaired, and color blind posters

Greg Pappas

I expect this to be moved by mods, but I ask this mainly in reference to our most popular forum.  I often post with bold and/or colored text to highlight certain things for our posters.  However, after some thought about it, I conducted some brief research on just how many folks are blind, visually impaired, and color blind, just in the U.S. alone and was astonished that roughly 13% are blind or visually impaired and 5% of people are color blind.  That would be plenty of posters between these groups.  Getting to my point, I'd like it if those that are blind or visually impaired or color blind to offer guidance to help them "see" these highlights. I have read that using colors in the red/green spectrum would be the worst choice, while blues are more likely to be seen, so I'll try to remember to do blues.  Anyway, any advice on to how I or we post that could be helpful to you?  Thank you.

• Upvote 4

Years ago I served as an officer for a national charity that worked with blind and vision impaired folks. Not sure how many responses you get but I for one appreciate the effort even though vision is not an impairment for me personally. So thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

Years ago I served as an officer for a national charity that worked with blind and vision impaired folks. Not sure how many responses you get but I for one appreciate the effort even though vision is not an impairment for me personally. So thanks!

That's kind of you, as was your work with that charity. 🙂

I'm colorblind. If you post in red text it is very difficult for me to read. I see green fine. Yellow text is the easiest for me to read. I don't think all colorblind folks are the same though. 

Very considerate of you to ask, thanks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, EShoreMD said:

I'm colorblind. If you post in red text it is very difficult for me to read. I see green fine. Yellow text is the easiest for me to read. I don't think all colorblind folks are the same though. 

Very considerate of you to ask, thanks. 

Thank you kindly for the reply.  With the O's an Orange team, I like to post a few things in orange from time to time, but will try to remember that the red/green spectrum (including orange) is difficult for most color blind people (as you said green is fine for you).  I'm curious if you've tried the EnChroma Glasses, and if so, how that went?  Again, much appreciated.  

Edited by Greg Pappas

5 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Thank you kindly for the reply.  With the O's an Orange team, I like to post a few things in orange from time to time, but will try to remember that the red/green spectrum (including orange) is difficult for most color blind people (as you said green is fine for you).  I'm curious if you've tried the EnChroma Glasses, and if so, how that went?  Again, much appreciated.  

I have not. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, EShoreMD said:

I have not. 

Perhaps you can check out the many Youtube videos of people trying the glasses for the first time, which is remarkable.  Also, the cost (around $300) is way down from years ago.  If interested, visit their website to learn more. 

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1

Red/green is difficult for me but I can tell it is a different color. Those two colors are difficult for me to read, however if I highlight the text and it kind of inverses I can usually read the trouble colors just fine.  The blue text with black highlight is nearly impossible for me to read. For me, it isn’t that big of a deal and I am use to working around it. Highlighter yellowish/green(my perception of the color) is easiest for me. 

Edited by sevastras
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, sevastras said:

Red/green is difficult for me but I can tell it is a different color. Those two colors are difficult for me to read, however if I highlight the text and it kind of inverses I can usually read the trouble colors just fine.  The blue text with black highlight is nearly impossible for me to read. For me, it isn’t that big of a deal and I am use to working around it. Highlighter yellowish/green(my perception of the color) is easiest for me. 

I feel the same way, it's not a big deal. It's only when the colors are mixed with other colors I have an issue. Perfect example is the color blind test at the MVA. I can't see the numbers in those circles to save my life. I have to get a waiver from an optometrist. If someone walks into the room wearing a red shirt I know it's a red shirt. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, EShoreMD said:

I feel the same way, it's not a big deal. It's only when the colors are mixed with other colors I have an issue. Perfect example is the color blind test at the MVA. I can't see the numbers in those circles to save my life. I have to get a waiver from an optometrist. If someone walks into the room wearing a red shirt I know it's a red shirt. 

I had an NROTC scholarship nixed because of that test! Granted, I also couldn’t pass the test that simulated traffic/buoy lights at a distance either. But I can do red shirts.

• Upvote 1

Also colorblind, Red / Green is worst for me.

Thankfully with the dark background of OH + text being in white, it's usually pretty easy to tell when things are highlighted in colors. I can always distinguish from the white text. Thanks for being very considerate, and I'm going to take a look at the glasses! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MTMan13 said:

Also colorblind, Red / Green is worst for me.

Thankfully with the dark background of OH + text being in white, it's usually pretty easy to tell when things are highlighted in colors. I can always distinguish from the white text. Thanks for being very considerate, and I'm going to take a look at the glasses! 

I wish you well!

• Upvote 1