Birdland Caravan 2024

Fanfest > Caravan

Yeah, the autograph aspect was great (minus the voucher system at times...)

But the best parts were the tour of Camden Yards and getting pictures in the dugout, the merchandise room with giveaways ("if it's free, it's for me" was a common theme among friends), meeting other fans, and the random aspect of never knowing what will happen (certain player coming over and playing a game, a legend walking around, talking with people, ect) Plus, the times that there would be big announcements during the event.

It's a shame they stopped having Fanfest.  I took my young kids a few years in a row and they loved it (I also enjoyed it as much as they did). I have no doubt it helped fuel their interest as O's fans. Every now and then they still ask about it.....YEARS later. I think the last year we went was the year that Manny and Schoop backed out. I don't even know when they ended - maybe that was the last one?

Regardless....poor decision by the Orioles. It may not have been profitable for them (although they raked in a ton from me!!), but they were absolutely cultivating young fans with the experience.

Edited by CP0861
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CP0861 said:

It's a shame they stopped having Fanfest.  I took my young kids a few years in a row and they loved it (I also enjoyed it as much as they did). I have no doubt it helped fuel their interest as O's fans. Every now and then they still ask about it.....YEARS later. I think the last year we went was the year that Manny and Schoop backed out. I don't even know when they ended - maybe that was the last one?

Regardless....poor decision by the Orioles. It may not have been profitable for them (although they raked in a ton from me!!), but they were absolutely cultivating young fans with the experience.

If people are paying for these “experiences” versus attending a free event with autograph purchases like FanFest, expect these to continue.  

The Orioles also discontinued season ticket holder appreciation days, as well as events like “Social Media Appreciation Day” where you could get early access to the ballpark and have a buffet dinner along with an interview of a player.  Those events included Chris Davis, Darren ODay and Brad Brach, plus a media personality like Roch.  

The Capitals discontinued their version of season ticket holder appreciation day as well, which was a three event course throughout the year.  Blamed it initially on Covid, but they never brought it back even last year, so a good friend of mine cancelled his season tickets because of it.  

Limiting player to player interaction to who can pay the most money to go bowling with Adley is not the best way to grow the fan base.  

On 1/8/2024 at 8:03 PM, 24fps said:

It's not a hill to die on, I guess, but I would love it if the commissioner's office would tell the memorabilia companies to piss off and put the fans first when it comes to things like FanFest.  If I'm not mistaken, every players has signed the UPC as condition to play professional baseball in the US and it's not exactly like they're hurting for a few extra bucks.  I suspect Manfred could make it stick if he wanted to.

Orioles fans have been spoiled with Cal and Brooks, so for an Oriole to refuse signing autographs is a cold pill to swallow.

• Upvote 1

On 1/10/2024 at 10:09 PM, Frobby said:

I wonder what injury he has this time.  

John Means is also not listed anymore,unless I missed him. Maybe pitchers might get hurt by not signing autographs. 

More thoughts on Birdland Caravan lineup - Blog
https://www.masnsports.com/orioles-rss/more-thoughts-on-birdland-caravan-lineup

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I really feel bad for the people who signed up to attend these events just to see some players, who are now dropping out.

Wow. So no four of the top of the rotation starters. Most of the bullpen top guys not attending. Pretty lame and five others have also dropped out. 

52 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Wow. So no four of the top of the rotation starters. Most of the bullpen top guys not attending. Pretty lame and five others have also dropped out. 

What’s even worse is that for Holliday, people had to pay money to attend the event and already bought in. Really bad look here.

49 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The main sponsor of the event.

Participating Sponsor: The Maryland Center of Excellence on Problem Gambling

Maybe they can get a wall ad outside the betting area they are sure to add to the ballpark with the State's money!