Dominican Academy Pictures

elextrano8

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

This quote from Elias piqued my interest:

“I was here five years ago when I joined the Orioles,” Elias said, “and my first week on the job somebody handed me the blueprint for Brian’s land, and it’s just unbelievable for me to see us actually be here right now and looking at it.“

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/orioles-celebrate-opening-of-dominican-training-academy

So there were blueprints already in existence when Elias started with the O’s?  I guess this Academy wasn’t the brainchild of Elias and Perez, but the previous regime?   

A new GM is chosen.  Brian's contact in the warehouse rushes to dust off his pet project to earn some brownie points.  After spending 30 minutes shuffling through papers, he finds it rolled up on his closet covered in dust.  "Mr. Elias, can I have a moment of your time?  Now that JA hired you to lead the rebuild and do the hard organizational things, here's what's been bumped from the budget for the Buck years of senioritis."

39 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

A new GM is chosen.  Brian's contact in the warehouse rushes to dust off his pet project to earn some brownie points.  After spending 30 minutes shuffling through papers, he finds it rolled up on his closet covered in dust.  "Mr. Elias, can I have a moment of your time?  Now that JA hired you to lead the rebuild and do the hard organizational things, here's what's been bumped from the budget for the Buck years of senioritis."

Haha. That honestly sounds pretty plausible. 

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Sounds like they care about their players as people.  Good stuff.  Most don’t make it.

Yeah, that's possible.  But it also makes business sense too; good PR and a good program to brag about when courting players.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I agree that Irvin is not in our "big 3", but if he continues to pitch well, it would be great to have a lefty starter in OPACY for the playoffs.   I don't think we should be heading into the postseason counting on Kimbrel for the 9th inning.  The rest of this roster is good enough to win a championship; they need a top tier closer.  
    • In terms of team needs hard throwing bullpen arm ranks first for me over starting pitcher even with Means injury. It's very possible Elias trades for a couple pitchers at the trade deadline with one of them being a starter. A reliever that can throw upper 90's will go a long way in the second half and playoffs.
    • Right. If Bradfield gets the ball into the gaps it’s almost an automatic double with his speed. 
    • I’m kind of confused with the “coming to earth a bit” idea/notion/words. He has had 2 bad outings ALL SEASON. And all of his numbers are still SUPERIOR in every way to any reliever on our roster.  The talent difference between what he can do and what our best two guys combined can do is very wide! Again, he has had two bad outings. One recently against the Rays and the other about 4/5 appearances ago against the Rockies. He is literally the very best reliever that we could acquire.
    • I’m not really worried about his performance, I’m worried about his injury history And the probability that it would interfere with him and the rest of the season. However, He is coming down to earth a bit; it’s not just his last outing, but his last few outings, I think. Still love to have him, but the price I would be willing to pay has decreased a little bit.
    • Well that explains how we keep ending up with bad relievers off the trash heap.
    • Mateo has an open stance at the plate and also stands back from the plate. Hence, he is very susceptible to the  slider or sweeper off the plate. I was expecting a strike out last night with runners on first and third. In fact, he had two swings and misses at outside breaking pitches during that at bat. But, the pitcher threw one that was in the wrong place and Mateo ripped it. He is doing a good job of staying on those pitches he can handle. And, as stated above, not quite as prone to wave at outside breaking stuff. He is fun to watch.
  • Popular Contributors