Who had the best outfield arm in Orioles history?

Frobby

14 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Never an Oriole, but would Bo Jackson be the benchmark for arms in the outfield?

Bo, Clemente, Dave Parker.

Who was the Brooklyn Dodger RF who had the great arm.   His name slips my memory at the moment.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Carl Furillo?

yes- "the arm" or the Reading Rifle" Furillo was up there with Clemente who probably had the best arm ever in RF.  Furillo in his career threw out 7 guys at first base-RF in Ebbets was small but very tricky-exposed comcrete, fencing, scoreboard-very tough to play. 

Clemente was incredible, more recent times Parker, Griffey, Suzuki, Evans-Josh Hamilton had a great arm and worked at it harder than anyone I have seen taking fungo after fungo off a RF wall during BP.

For Orioles T-Bone Shelby once had 28 assists in one year in the minors.  His throw against the Brewers was one of my favorite plays in Orioles history.

Shelby as a coach discussing Markakis and Suzuki-loved this quote-"It's tough to teach young OF's-they trust in the ability more than they know the game".   He goes on to discuss baseball IQ v. simple arm strength.

Good answers, everyone.  The only player I thought of that nobody has mentioned is Bobby Bonilla.  He had 9 assists in 107 games for us back in 1996 and I recall his arm was very strong, though he wasn’t the most mobile of outfielders.  Ken Singleton had a pretty good arm, and Reggie Jackson.

Personally I’d probably go with Markakis, especially in his younger years.   Not only was his arm very strong, but deadly accurate and he got rid of the ball very quickly.  And, he pretty much never made a bad decision on where to throw.  Dwight Evans had an amazing arm but I’m not sure it was as good as Markakis’ by the time Evans got to Baltimore.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Is Mullins the worst?

Nope.  Not even close.  Don Baylor, supposedly had a high school football injury that affected his throwing.  Way worse than Mullins.  I think Buford’s was pretty weak too but Baylors is about the worst I’ve ever seen.

1 hour ago, SemperFi said:

yes- "the arm" or the Reading Rifle" Furillo was up there with Clemente who probably had the best arm ever in RF.  Furillo in his career threw out 7 guys at first base-RF in Ebbets was small but very tricky-exposed comcrete, fencing, scoreboard-very tough to play. 

Clemente was incredible, more recent times Parker, Griffey, Suzuki, Evans-Josh Hamilton had a great arm and worked at it harder than anyone I have seen taking fungo after fungo off a RF wall during BP.

For Orioles T-Bone Shelby once had 28 assists in one year in the minors.  His throw against the Brewers was one of my favorite plays in Orioles history.

Sorry.  Had to look it up.  28 sounded incredible for Shelby.   He did have 22 in A ball and 21 in AA.  Never had more than 10 in the majors.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=shelby001joh